Trialesquire

ODM rods - What's the verdict?

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

I use the 2 - 6oz rod because the lures I'm using range anywhere between 1 1/4 - 5 1/2 oz. If you intend on using plugs, and bucktails in the 2oz. range, then try the 3/4 - 4oz.  Frontier X in 10' - 6". I have, and was very impressed. A little extra rod as far weight range; Will go unnoticed until the day you need it to turn that fish you have been waiting for. Then in the future if the fish are on a little bigger bait you can be rest assured you have the rod that can present it. 

Get out to a rod demo too find out for yourself. You will be glad you did.

Hope this helps

Lou T

Lou, thank you for your opinions. Are the Frontier rods heavier than the genesis?

I have a Genesis 11', 2-6 and really like it.

Lou, thank you for your opinions. Are the Frontier rods heavier than the genesis?

I have a Genesis 11', 2-6 and really like it.

I really don't know, I had both rods in my hands, and I honestly can not tell you. To me these rods are light yet powerful. You can tell by my reel selection I'm not counting ounces. However they have a first class web-sight; Check it out I'm sure all the information is there for you.

Later, and Be Well

Lou T

Do they have any plans for a 1 pc? 

I hope so... :)

Lou T

Edited by Lou T

Your avatar is fitting.

There has been quite a few post here. Lou Caruso has made and released a  UTube video on the internet on ODM Rods. Check it out. It was at the same time I wrote a post, and hid it away here in the main forum titled ODM Rods; go figure.

This is what I had to say  -

Posted June 01 2016 - 6:03 PM

I remember there was allot of questions on ODM Rods here. So I just pulled this video off the inter-web for you all. Please listen what Lou Caruso has to say about ODM Rods.

Quite a impressive review from are very own Lou Caruso ( redhawk19 )  

Over the years Lou has built me quite a few top quality rods such as custom Lamiglas GSB, CTS Vaportrail; just to name a few. So having tested the Genesis along with the Frontier X not to mention the new Jigster prototype that impressed me equally as well. I think Lou's opinion is spot on for the Genesis. However when I tested the Frontier X I feel the action of the rod to be in the same moderate fast action range as well. The difference is the parabolic bend of the Frontier X. During my test cast using a 2 ounce bucktail I ended up landing a 21 pound Striper to my surprise. I say this because during the fight I thought I had a little 8 pound rat. I even commented I had a small fish. You can really tell the difference in the two rods as was demonstrated too me by Steve applying a equal amount of down pressure with these rods. The Genesis, and Frontier X  both cast equally as well. I think the difference is on the Frontier X the rod is absorbing the fight of the fish with less pressure on the angler.

The Jigster; The rod is being field tested for quite some time now. With impressive test reports coming in on fish that are being landed in the demanding Cape from some of the best jiggers working the canal today. 

I was there when the Jigster was dropped off. After a few test cast with a wide range of jigs, and plugs. There was smiles from ear to ear. Six ounce jigs where exceeding 100 yards. This was verified with the use of a range finder. One cast landed in the wash of a boat that read a 110 yards out. So that would place the jig in the neighbor hood of about 115 with a wind slightly angled into your face from the side. No easy task by any means, but the Jigster pulled it off. Then the stopping power of the rod was demonstrated with a Stella 18,000 on the rod Steve was doing a pull test. Imagine trying to fight a 260 pound fish. One fella again had a grin from ear to ear. Another grabbed his family jewels in pain as 50 pound test was repeatedly broken in the demo. So there you have it; The cats out of the bag on the Jigster.  

So if your in the market for a new rod. You owe it to yourself to be at the next rod demo from ODM, and you be the judge for yourself.

Lou T

Your avatar is fitting.

There has been quite a few post here. Lou Caruso has made and released a  UTube video on the internet on ODM Rods. Check it out. It was at the same time I wrote a post, and hid it away here in the main forum titled ODM Rods; go figure.

This is what I had to say  -

Posted June 01 2016 - 6:03 PM

I remember there was allot of questions on ODM Rods here. So I just pulled this video off the inter-web for you all. Please listen what Lou Caruso has to say about ODM Rods.

Quite a impressive review from are very own Lou Caruso ( redhawk19 )  

Over the years Lou has built me quite a few top quality rods such as custom Lamiglas GSB, CTS Vaportrail; just to name a few. So having tested the Genesis along with the Frontier X not to mention the new Jigster prototype that impressed me equally as well. I think Lou's opinion is spot on for the Genesis. However when I tested the Frontier X I feel the action of the rod to be in the same moderate fast action range as well. The difference is the parabolic bend of the Frontier X. During my test cast using a 2 ounce bucktail I ended up landing a 21 pound Striper to my surprise. I say this because during the fight I thought I had a little 8 pound rat. I even commented I had a small fish. You can really tell the difference in the two rods as was demonstrated too me by Steve applying a equal amount of down pressure with these rods. The Genesis, and Frontier X  both cast equally as well. I think the difference is on the Frontier X the rod is absorbing the fight of the fish with less pressure on the angler.

The Jigster; The rod is being field tested for quite some time now. With impressive test reports coming in on fish that are being landed in the demanding Cape from some of the best jiggers working the canal today. 

I was there when the Jigster was dropped off. After a few test cast with a wide range of jigs, and plugs. There was smiles from ear to ear. Six ounce jigs where exceeding 100 yards. This was verified with the use of a range finder. One cast landed in the wash of a boat that read a 110 yards out. So that would place the jig in the neighbor hood of about 115 with a wind slightly angled into your face from the side. No easy task by any means, but the Jigster pulled it off. Then the stopping power of the rod was demonstrated with a Stella 18,000 on the rod Steve was doing a pull test. Imagine trying to fight a 260 pound fish. One fella again had a grin from ear to ear. Another grabbed his family jewels in pain as 50 pound test was repeatedly broken in the demo. So there you have it; The cats out of the bag on the Jigster.  

So if your in the market for a new rod. You owe it to yourself to be at the next rod demo from ODM, and you be the judge for yourself.

Lou T

Thanks for your advice.  If I can return the favor, don't hesitate.  Gary

Thanks for your advice.  If I can return the favor, don't hesitate.  Gary

Gary

Your Quite Welcome

Lou T

Has anyone used the jigster... I currently throw a rainshadow 1209... Anyone reviews/ comments

Hi there D&D.......The Jigster was just released sooo......not sure how many great reviews/comments  you are going to see here.......yet!  I used the jigster all season at the Cape Cod Canal and I really love it. I had been using the 1209 in my previous seasons so I feel I am able to give a comparison. I like the added length of the jigster as it definitely casts the same jigs further into the drink.. The blank itself is thinner and with my smaller hands it makes for easier fishing yet the backbone is 100% there...ive had no problems turning any fish in any conditions. I am on the canal almost daily...If you would like to try a jigster........or just have a look at it....please let me know!

Thank you for the feed back... I would love to give it a toss... What do u pair it with? I guess there is a 10.6 model coming out next week. I checked an 11ftr out at a tackle shop... Not a big fan of the color but i guess i can get used to the grape ape

Not a big fan of the color but i guess i can get used to the grape ape

Grape Ape,, I like it.  I was calling the color Plum Crazy

That rod can tame the Beast, and should only be used by those willing to accept the challenge.

I have a ODM JIGSTER and absolutly love using it in the canal.I took a few casts with a 1209 but that rod isnt for me.the jgster is light with tons of backbone and will not tire you out after hours of continues fishing.jigster also loads easily but still maintains that fast action tip you need for jigging.i also use the rod for magic swimmers and stick shads.