Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FenderBender

TOG Rod

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone have an opinion on a GLoomis

MUR 844C as a TOG pole. I wonder if it would handle the occasional 10oz of weight plus a piggy TOG. I think the handle may be too short too. I was thinking along the line of an SWR84-30C or SWR84-40C or even maybe a SWR90-25C. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Any of those rods would be fine for tog. My preference would be for the SWR84-25C. The MUSky rod is excellent also, but with the short butt the other probably would be more comfortable to fish.

I believe the rods you are looking at at in the low to mid $200 range in price. For that amout of money you could build yourself a much better rod. JMHO.

The 3 SWR's are discontinued as of 8/1/2001. Can confirm directly at 800-662-8818 Anything in the stores is the last you will see. If you break it, Loomis will probably replace it with a Pelagic. If you want them, get them soon. Any of the MUR rods works for tog. I thought that the MUR844C was in the $150 range. The SWR's are in the low-mid $200's.

I have the SWR844c and absolutely love that rod. The rod handles 10oz and a nice tog as ya can see from my latest foray(rod works great with 8oz and wouldn't recommend weights over 10). I haven't heard that they were being discontinued, sad if they are. I did see a BBR on the boat that was very similar but handled more weight and heavier line which you might want to check out.

GOTTOG,

Do you have the SWR844C or the SWR84-40C? The first rod bears the Musky rod number.

(Minor model number change). If yer thinkin' what I'm thinkin', you got the SWR84-40C Med-Hvy with the boat pole butt, not the trigger handle type. ???????? confused.gif

Just had a Calstar 700L made up, two pieces with a removable butt section and reel seat in the old Sheepshead Bay style - AWESOME. Now thinking of the Calstar 800L in a one piece style for lightness sake.

It is the Saltwater Bay Series SWR844C with the "kung-fu" trigger gripwink.gif The rod works exceptionally well with 8ozs and a green crab. Have used it up to 12ozs on it but rather not use more than 10 on it. I also think it will make a great deep water fluking rod or to jig up some blues/bass.

I like the SWR843C using up to about 6-8 oz in the 45-60 foot depths we often fish in NJ. A bonus is that the rod is also my absolutely favorite chunking stick for bass.

A notable difference between this rod, GOTTOG's SWR844C and the SWR84's you are thinking about is that the SWR843 & SWR844 come with cork grips while the "SWR84-" series have hyphalon. I like cork biggrin.gif

Mike

The 3 "Bay" rods are a subset of the "Muskie" rods. Same feel in the corresponding models. The Muskie rods are red, they are cheaper and the cork grips are thicker.