New Daiwa Saltist

Rate this topic

anw0625

I think I remembered that the big knock on the current version was that the handle gear drive shaft was square in profile instead of being a screw-in handle engagement.  That and the weight of these reels above 4500, and maybe an easily worn line roller bushing.

Other than that, I liked it, but am really digging the mag-sealed shaft.  

I think I remembered that the big knock on the current version was that the handle gear drive shaft was square in profile instead of being a screw-in handle engagement.  That and the weight of these reels above 4500, and maybe an easily worn line roller bushing.

Other than that, I liked it, but am really digging the mag-sealed shaft.  

Screw in handle (same handle on Saltiga).  No more square shaft.  Mag Sealed Roller Bearing.

Due out in Oct.

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

My favorite aspect of the new Saltist (and the new BG) is that they are offered in an entire size run, or family.

BG 1500 size all the way through to the 8000.  Saltist 2500 all the way through to the 8000

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

the old Saltist bail would break if you looked at the wrong way.....

I broke one while driving from one spot to another;  my bud's broke in his garage while he set the reel down to tie a knot.  the "warranty"  didn't cover this and cost $66 to replace........  I sold it the next day

its all about da fishes...

So it's early days for this reel, but is this supposed be like daiwa's equivalent of the saragosa/spheros sw? Sealed/water tight, can handle splashes but not intended to be dunked heavily, reeled under water etc? 

And durable are those air rotors? I know persons have been using the saltiga's in the canal and on jetties. Do they hold up to the rocks okay?

• 1 month later...

My present Saltist failed after just 2 months of canal use.  I sent it back under warranty to be fixed, and was surprised when I received a phone call from the service manager (his name was Mark).  He told me they'll fix the reel this one time.  Went on to say  he never saw a reel with this much abuse.  He said, and I quote "I have no idea what you're fishing with this reel, but it's clearly not designed for your application". The next time if fails, take it somewhere else.  (nice customer service, huh?)

Shortly after receiving the reel in the mail, the bail broke off. I removed what remained with a pair of cutters, ground it down on a stone, and have fished it was a manual bail every since.   I'm nursing the reel along, until the Slammer is ready. Then I'll look at that.

The Sultan of Sluggo