luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - July 2016

Rate this topic

113 posts in this topic

What's a weakfish?

Weakfish weakfish.gif
Weakfish Cynoscion regalis (A.K.A. - Gray trout, Squeteague, Sea trout, Tiderunner, Drummer) Key Distinguishing Markings:
  • Body greenish grey above and silvery below.
  • Back with small spots forming undulating dotted lines.
  • Pelvic fins and anal fin yellowish.
  • Other fins pale, sometimes with a yellowish tinge.
  • Inside of gill cover (dark, visible externally).
  • Mouth large, oblique, lower jaw projecting.
  • Upper jaw with a pair of large canine-like teeth at tip.
  • Chin without barbels or pores. Snout with only 1 marginal pore.
  • Gas bladder with a pair of nearly straight, horn-like appendages.
  • Soft portion of dorsal fin covered with small scales up to 1/2 of fin height.
  • Weakfish are members of the drum family, Sciaenidae; other familiar members of this family include spot, Atlantic croaker, black drum, channel bass, and spotted seatrout.

last time i took the canoe out past the bar I caught a ton of small weakies...all 12" and under but more than I could count. Kinda like vampire fish with those fangs. caught one after dark in may, probably 16" but I threw it back cause I haven't seen any decent sized ones in awhile.

Edited by NewWaveDave

Weakfish

weakfish.gif

Weakfish

Cynoscion regalis

(A.K.A. - Gray trout, Squeteague, Sea trout, Tiderunner, Drummer)

Key Distinguishing Markings:

• Body greenish grey above and silvery below.
  • Back with small spots forming undulating dotted lines.
  • Pelvic fins and anal fin yellowish.
  • Other fins pale, sometimes with a yellowish tinge.
  • Inside of gill cover (dark, visible externally).
  • Mouth large, oblique, lower jaw projecting.
  • Upper jaw with a pair of large canine-like teeth at tip.
  • Chin without barbels or pores. Snout with only 1 marginal pore.
  • Gas bladder with a pair of nearly straight, horn-like appendages.
  • Soft portion of dorsal fin covered with small scales up to 1/2 of fin height.
  • Weakfish are members of the drum family, Sciaenidae; other familiar members of this family include spot, Atlantic croaker, black drum, channel bass, and spotted seatrout.

post-14535-0-76795700-1468519334.jpg

Edited by DerrickT

one that isn't very strong, duh.

KK is back and packing some humor! Can't top VAEarl. That Baby Ruth stunt is classic Bill Murray. Enough of the BS and back to the fish. Past couple weekend the blues have been pounding pods of bait fish right off the beach in OCMD. Today while I was hard at work the fam sent me a video of the bait ball about 75' off the beach. Probably blues again although they enjoyed a dolphin enjoying the fun too. Last weekend in between the bakinis I was able to focus long enough to spot a fish between 2'-3' leap out of the water two times in a row. It was a good 300 yards offshore so it does us land lubbers no good. Still good to see action.

Kingfish and blues caught off the beach by Six Cups and his friend with squid. That was two weeks ago.

With the full moon being around Monday my Lunar Predictor is off the charts hot this weekend...I still don't understand how the phases of the moon effect fish appetite. I get hungry EVERY DAY!

Have you been seeing blues on those bunker pods? I've seen a number of videos and nothing has been on them but Dolphins.

If im not too tired after hitting the bay tomorrow I may try and run to iri and hit it for the night. Gonna search the bay for cobia first.

I haven't really been able to fish hard and long in about 8 weeks now.

Hit the beach this morning 06:00-09:00 and got into the kingfish. Saw bait balls but too far out to reach. For three weeks I have been seeing multiple bait balls boiling and occasionally there would be a streak through the middle. Could be blues but not sure.

Have you been seeing blues on those bunker pods? I've seen a number of videos and nothing has been on them but Dolphins.

If im not too tired after hitting the bay tomorrow I may try and run to iri and hit it for the night. Gonna search the bay for cobia first.

I haven't really been able to fish hard and long in about 8 weeks now.

There were bunker and mullet pods all over the bay and inlet last week and not a single thing was chasing them. Even used fresh peanuts drifting and nothing touched them. Didnt venture all that far out into the ocean when we were out to really look there. Marina is packed full at this point hopefully they hang in there till I get down next Saturday.

There were bunker and mullet pods all over the bay and inlet last week and not a single thing was chasing them. Even used fresh peanuts drifting and nothing touched them. Didnt venture all that far out into the ocean when we were out to really look there. Marina is packed full at this point hopefully they hang in there till I get down next Saturday.

I figured.

I jigged IRI for a few hours today and had lil bull**** blues taking the tails off my gulp. Wanted to plug off the jetty but there were too many kids walkin on the rocks and falling and I didn't want to be out there and deal with that.

July 19, 2016. 1:15 PM. OSV zone is now open to kilometer 22.9.

Bullpen camping area is also reopened at kilometer 21.

Good news. Figures, I was just out there yesterday. Found some frying fish :D

My wife, 2 dogs and I got down to AI OSV about 10am Friday.

Was number 67. pretty crowded near the dune crossing, sand soft and chewed up...things thinned out as I went south.

Beautiful day on the island.

I caught Spot, Whiting(Kingfish) and a Weakfish(Gray Trout)

All the fish except the trout were small, with the trout at about 14". All fish returned to the sea to grow, except for the spot, which was turned into a live bait...something went after it, but no hookup.

The flies were pretty bad, as was the wind. Needed 4 or 5 oz to be able to keep the wind bow out of the lines.

I was using bloods, the trout bit on peeler, and some sand fleas I dug on site.

The tide was high when I got there, and fell through the day, and the first hours were the most productive.

Left about 6pm.. wind was howling, I was getting sand blasted ankles.

Highlight was my wife reeling in a double sea mullet catch.