LI BeachRat

When the last bass is caught

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ok, kind of POed, just got off the phone with a Editor for a major fishing mag, about an article claiming the bass are jumping out of the water. WHAT the hell! I guess you have to sell papers some how. Now if I was a once a month arm chair fisherman, I could except their story. Or that it must be due to poor fishing skills ( 50 years on the beach don't think so ) is why I'm not killing them on every cast.

Yet this same day to support my feelings that the bass are in trouble. I got a call from a very wired in buddy, asking did I do anything last night throwing eels. No, nothing not even a pick up was the answer. He laments that everyone is crying the blues, putting in nights of a thousand cast for little to nothing. We discussed a surf guide who is having trouble finding fish. Than I talked to a friend in the local Fishing reporting business, who agrees with the terrible surf fishing, him having spent many nights for nothing. To hammer the point home while picking up the first guys magazine, some customer in the tackle shop, asking where he could take his kids to catch a striper from the beach, was told to take some bunker he'd have better luck catching sharks. My circle of surf fishing friends is pretty big and I hear the same thing from them all, bass fishing from the beach this year has been pretty bad. Yes the boats are killing whats left of the large bass out on the bunker schools, but for how long. Now we hear the commercials are going to get to raid the Federal protect areas out in Montauk. WTF! It's like everyone is out to catch the last bass.

Maybe It's time to take up golf.

Edited by LI BeachRat

Hey,  guys in Mass have to pay off their Contender loans somehow?...  selling Stripers for $5. / lb.  The last of the great offshore herds off Chatham & RP...  that might of hugged our shores on the way back in October.  All being decimated up there...   by guys with 80K boats!  

We now need guys who aren't Comms.,  killing Bass for Market too?  And they get $5./ lb.,  while the Market gets $25. for the fillets. For what--  PCB- laden Cow- SB meat?  (Buyer beware!)

The solution,  is to educate the buyers of $25./ lb. store SB fillets--  you are poisoning yourself & your families!  Eating bland (anyway) Striper Cow meat. 

Farmed Catfish or Salmon  =  much more safe/ healthy!   :)

Edited by RogueWave

Ok, kind of POed, just got off the phone with a Editor for a major fishing mag, about an article claiming the bass are jumping out of the water. WHAT the hell!

Keeping the advertisers happy I guess; that editor should be shamed for that not revered.

I would def not feed any kid striped bass.

It's too late for the rest of us.  The accumulation in our organs is permanent.

I stopped keeping any even for neighbors, or the auto mechanic, landscaper.  I tell them they are not around no more and many have red sores. They get blues instead, but they were spoiled and they do not like blues too much; no smiles no more and less discounts.

Edited by FishinKid007

I couldn't agree with you more.  I have been saying for years now that The Bass were being overharvested but I would always get arguments.  It appears that we will be seeing the last of the bass in a few years.  Remember the Flounder, The Whiting etc.  All user groups have collectively destroyed the stocks of this Magnificent Animal.  Party/Charter Boats took and continue to take most of the Breading Females.  Private Boaters also take more than their share.  The Gill Netters, Draggers and other Commercials take their quotas and there fish are not replaced into the eco system..  Us Surfcasters, Recs are not without sin. Many So Called Conservationist will take several bass during one trip.  Case in point, Montauk , when they will keep one per day during a 3 or 4 day trip.  Only one is permitted to be in your possession.  So you see gentlemen, unless the complete fishery is shut down for a few seasons we are doomed. Making Striped Bass A Gamefish will not work out either.  Just take a look at New Jersey which passed a Gamefish Law several seasons ago.  The Party/Charter Boat Industry cried for and was granted The Commercial Quota.  Now they can take up to 3 bass per day.  So what is the answer?  A Complete Shut Down Of The Fishery?  Catch & Release Only? There is no doubt that Catch & Release will save a few jobs in the industry as people will still purchase Bait, Plugs, etc.  Just keep in mind that The Striped Bass Fishery generates more money when these fish are abundant.  Think about How Many Jobs this wonderful fish helps to support.  Just my take.  I eagerly await a different perspective.  Stay well.

sb

New Jersey game fish status is a joke. These are migratory fish passing by NJ from May to Mid July. That commercial pass along was a smokescreen to keep the semi-commercials ( charters and head boats ) happy. NJ was never much of a commercial business anyway. I too have a reasonable local contingent of surf only fisherman all of whom are busy chasing sea robins, undersized fluke and the occasional 5# bluefish. The amount of time you have to put in to find bass off he beach is enormous and then it's a crap shoot because the old go to spots are not holding fish, because there are so few."Bob is not there anymore" to quote someone who is an on line publisher.and a C&R proponent.

The vaunted 2011 YOY is already decimated by the poachers and meat fisherman and made no showing this spring at all, anywhere along the beaches and bays.

One respected charter captain says the schoolie action has been great this year....from his boat I guess. Between the pollution and micobacteriosis in the chessy and all f the overfishing the bass have no chance without a moratorium. I can't wait to hear the collective "I told you so" when the AMFSC finally bites the bullet.

Joe, Jersey is a joke but how about Conn. Conn has a bonus program that issues 2 bonus tags per angler(upon request) to fill their unused commericial quota. Now here is the real kicker the bonus fish have to be between 22"-28" the very fish we are trying to save. 

The system never works well, when we have the foxes tending our chicken coops.

I have been saying for many years, that the industry needs to be out of the fishery quota decision making.  They need to rely purely upon scientific data and associated predictions and to some extend, to verifiable empirical field data.

If they don't do so, then the fishery management, and industry leaders should be held responsible, and stiff penalties should be imposed upon them all, if the fishery collapses.

Edited by FishinKid007

I couldn't agree with you more.  I have been saying for years now that The Bass were being overharvested but I would always get arguments.  It appears that we will be seeing the last of the bass in a few years.  Remember the Flounder, The Whiting etc.  All user groups have collectively destroyed the stocks of this Magnificent Animal.  Party/Charter Boats took and continue to take most of the Breading Females.  Private Boaters also take more than their share.  The Gill Netters, Draggers and other Commercials take their quotas and there fish are not replaced into the eco system..  Us Surfcasters, Recs are not without sin. Many So Called Conservationist will take several bass during one trip.  Case in point, Montauk , when they will keep one per day during a 3 or 4 day trip.  Only one is permitted to be in your possession.  So you see gentlemen, unless the complete fishery is shut down for a few seasons we are doomed. Making Striped Bass A Gamefish will not work out either.  Just take a look at New Jersey which passed a Gamefish Law several seasons ago.  The Party/Charter Boat Industry cried for and was granted The Commercial Quota.  Now they can take up to 3 bass per day.  So what is the answer?  A Complete Shut Down Of The Fishery?  Catch & Release Only? There is no doubt that Catch & Release will save a few jobs in the industry as people will still purchase Bait, Plugs, etc.  Just keep in mind that The Striped Bass Fishery generates more money when these fish are abundant.  Think about How Many Jobs this wonderful fish helps to support.  Just my take.  I eagerly await a different perspective.  Stay well.

sb

I agree. It's criminal really and hard to believe in this day and age of conservation it's allowed to continue.

According to the latest information from the ASMFC the 2014 recreational harvest of striped bass was 24.1 million pounds. The 2014 commercial harvest was 5.9 million pounds.

The New Jersey bonus tag program (SBBP) is currently closed. It will reopen again Sept. 1- Dec. 31. New Jersey accounts for 18% of the recreational striped bass harvest. New York accounts for 29% of the recreational striped bass harvest.

New York accounts for 11% of the commercial striped bass harvest, MA 17%.

Edited by twinscrew

If the commercial quota is not given to recreational fishermen in states that don't allow commercial fishing it would just be added to the commercial quota in states that do allow commercial fishing. That's the way it works. Party/charter boats didn't cry for it to be added to the recreational harvest, recreational fishermen did. In fact party/charter boats weren't even allowed to participate in the NJ bonus tag program for several years. I read they will be able to participate in it this year when the bonus tag program reopens Sept. 1.

Another area where we see little or no public support,nor empathy for our beloved stripers, is from the manufacturers of tackle and fishing related accessories.

There are how many states  where we find striped bass fishing??....when's the last time that you saw the tackle trade seriously advertise in the consumer fishing publications, on the internet or even TV, that the striped bass fishery is in trouble?  Never!   These are the companies with the power and the money who could make a difference.

They could educate the casual fishers among us who often don't stay current with fishery related issues about being conservation minded.

i shake my head sometimes when I see even seasoned vets(talking strictly recs) who have to keep at least one fish EVERY TIME they catch a few keepers.

These same people bitch and moan when the don't see fish anymore.

What's worst is that some of these allegedly good fishermen don't even know that the fishery is hurting!   They seem to live in a vacuum.

Last year I really started to pay more attention to the way I handle stripers.

I have to confess that I just last year started to bend back my barbs.

It's at the point where letting them swim away is the only way that we'll see a comeback. 

From the sand and the rocks, I have had 100 stripers this year---just 3 were keeper size.  This really makes me wonder what is the state of the fishery?

Edited by JettyGuy

Before 2011, I would lose count how many keeper size stripers I caught in a season.  After 2011, it's a downhill slope, and I can currently count them with my single hand.  This year, I only need a finger.

I want to see a new rule which will impose fines on the ASMFC leaders, if they mis-manage the fishery and it collapses. If this was in place, we would still have flounder and blackfish around.