Pamlico Sound - Avon

Rate this topic

Porktown

Porktown......you need to try small jigheads (1/4 - 3/8 ounce) and curlytail plastic grubs on the Soundside. In the 23 years I went there, they were always more effective for the specks, blues, and flounder than the guys that used the bait that they had cast-netted.

Squid, shrimp, and worms in the sound will get you not more than pinfish unless you are VERY lucky.,.....more times than not, the pinfish have that type of bait off your hook before or shortly after it hits bottom.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

I was in Avon last year the week of 4th of July and caught a 34" red drum on a deadly dick in the surf at ramp 38. I went to the beach before first light every morning since the house we stayed in was walking distance. Spanish would show every morning too and only had one hit from them. Tried the sound a couple times and my brother caught a small croaker on a jig head and gulp. Saw a lot of stingrays swimming close to us, and fish going after some minnows or something. I went to ocracoke the last full day we were there and broke off of several HUGE spinner sharks. They would jump out of the air.

Porktown......you need to try small jigheads (1/4 - 3/8 ounce) and curlytail plastic grubs on the Soundside. In the 23 years I went there, they were always more effective for the specks, blues, and flounder than the guys that used the bait that they had cast-netted.

Squid, shrimp, and worms in the sound will get you not more than pinfish unless you are VERY lucky.,.....more times than not, the pinfish have that type of bait off your hook before or shortly after it hits bottom.

I did give some smaller curly tail jigs a try.  Those and Gulp curly tails.  I tried the tandem rig curly tails which seem to be popular at the Oregon Inlet 25 years ago fishing with my Dad.  There was a nice school, of I believe specks patrolling the edge.  Some were in the 18" range or larger.  I even tried a glass minnow teaser on a casting bubble, if they wanted smaller.  The small puppy drum that I landed were on 1" fresh water Gulp minnows, on 1/32 jig heads that I use for crappie here.  They were under a popping cork.  I had fun with these, about every cast had a hit, I think mostly pinfish.  Next time down, I will grab a bigger assortment of colors from Frank & Frans.  Just like fishing anywhere, the right color can often mean the difference between skunked and banner day.  

I also noticed a huge ray cruising the area too.  Definitely a lot of life in the area.  But for sure, if I get a clear water day, it is going to be an early morning on the pier.  Although, it is so hard telling if clear water, when the sun isn't over the horizon yet.   

Thanks for the info.  I still had a blast.  I can't wait to be down there again.

Edited by Porktown