In Memory of Awesome John from Istanbul, Turkey

Rate this topic

awesomeblooz

My Heart Hurt today when I read the news of Awesome John Passing .He lit up the Room with excitement just talking with him.He left us  way to early. I will remember all he brought to us with his humor and song . God Bless our friend

A journalist in Istanbul who followed my brother since his arrival to Turkey in the 1980s and wrote a full page tribute article about him with the following headline:

We love you too, Asım Abi (abi means big brother)!  He said my brother always said "I love you" and spread love. He said, "it  is now the country's turn to tell Awesome "We love you!"

Why am I writing this?  

Believe me, it is not to boast about my brother...nothing to boast about when you are in such pain.

I am sharing this with you because....

After reading the article which said many nice things about my brother, I thought about all the posts I received from you --- all of my brother's SOL friends. The heartfelt messages from each and everyone of you and how, without even knowing, each of you described who my brother was....my eyes always welled up with tears when I read each of your posts because YOU understood and knew my brother without even meeting him. To me, that is the strongest thread of humanity people can weave among one another and across an ocean. A simple fishing rod, a wooden plug, the sharing of stories and a man's true essence is revealed and  understood by his fellow anglers.  

To each and all of you, I wish you a life full of laughter, I pray you are all loved and that you feel the privilege of loving another, I hope that the universe gifts you that moment when you are face to face with the ocean and the breeze and you realize you have a good life and that you are happy....I wish all of you to be understood like you understood my brother, for all of you to be remembered like you remembered my brother, and for all of you to have a life where you fulfill your hopes and dreams.  I am forever grateful for the friendship you shared with my brother and for enriching his life with your existence.

If I had a thousand keepers,  I would send them your way...

ally

I never met Awesome John but somehow feel like I knew him well, if that is possible?

One of the most enthusiast fishermen you will come to know and he always seemed very

stoked and happy about life. I'm sure his spirit will be roaming around Montauk NY for many years to come, a place he seemed to cherish.

My condolences to his family. RIP

"Where is my mind?  Waaaaay out in the water see it swimming?"

You know, just thinking out loud, I like many of us did not know AwesomeJohn.......other than SOL. But his enthusiasm,willingness to share info and his spirituality were large. Everybody knew who AwesomeJohn was because of this and had only the most positive responses and condolences from what I can see. Being a member since 2008, this is the most outflowing of sadness and support I have ever seen for a member. This is just an opinion, but I would challenge many here.....including myself... that you reap what you sow.........who would not want to be  loved and appreciated like AwesomeJohn..........we all have that opportunity. Ghandi said..........."you must BE, the change you seek".............go AwesomeJohn.

You know, just thinking out loud, I like many of us did not know AwesomeJohn.......other than SOL. But his enthusiasm,willingness to share info and his spirituality were large. Everybody knew who AwesomeJohn was because of this and had only the most positive responses and condolences from what I can see. Being a member since 2008, this is the most outflowing of sadness and support I have ever seen for a member. This is just an opinion, but I would challenge many here.....including myself... that you reap what you sow.........who would not want to be  loved and appreciated like AwesomeJohn..........we all have that opportunity. Ghandi said..........."you must BE, the change you seek".............go AwesomeJohn.

Beret...his enthusiasm and spirituality was so genuine and heartfelt. He really was that guy all of you thought he was and more... Thank you, thank you.......

Bido thank you for your video post.  I had never seen this video. I will cherish it. 

Golden, Genavorn, Duck, Bradley and to each and all...thank you for your condolences and all the love...I am sure my brother would have felt so humbled if he could have read all your posts. Please forgive me for not being able to reply to everyone but please know everyone's words mean the world to me and our family.  You are all amazing, good men.

God bless you all and may you and your loved ones always have the grace and love of God surround your home. 

ally

Very sorry to hear of your brothers passing Ally. I only knew him from his posts on here, and was totally blown away to see that video posted by bido of his ability to play guitar. I just recently lost my dad, time does heal and always remember the times you spent with him.  RIP J..

I didn't know AJ at all, I knew his posts and several years ago when I was in montauk I saw him in town and just said hello. His posts were always positive.His talent as a guitar player are obvious, but his thoughts and feelings as a person sez it all. My feelings to his family and loved ones.

If anyone ever deserved the name "Awesome" it was your brother. He was always looking to help others and was very kind to everyone on this site. There are handful of members here who I would read their posts immediately and he was right there on top of the list. He had an incredible amount of fishing knowledge and always shared with anyone who asked him any questions. He turned me on to DBlue rods and I still own and fish three of them... He will be missed. He truly was... awesome