awesomeblooz

In Memory of Awesome John from Istanbul, Turkey

146 posts in this topic

I never met him but he was always helpful and kind in sharing his information and advice. he looked full of life and i am still in shock. sol feels different without awesome john. may he rest in peace. my prayers to the family and loved ones. 

Ally, sincerely, you have my heartfelt sympathy in your loss of your beloved brother.  As you can tell, he was beloved by many here.  He shared his spirit with everyone.  I will remember him, not as a personal acquaintance, but for his enthusiasm and love of life.  I’m saddened in hearing of your loss.

Ally here is something that has always stuck with me since my college days.  I think it describes your brother well.  

The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies; who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or any man of his inferiority or deformity; who is himself humbled if necessity compels him to humble another; who does not flatter wealth, cringe before power, or boast of his own possessions or achievements; who speaks with frankness but always with sincerity and sympathy; whose deed follows his word; who thinks of the rights and feelings of others, rather than his own; and who appears well in any company, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe.

- John Walter Wayland

Never met him or had a convo but i have the utmost respect anyone who rides the tides like we surfcasters do. Sounds like he is and was and amazing human and a very talented blues musician !! Tight lines and bent rods AJ <3

Ally, it's not too common today to see scores of people saying kind things about anyone.

It is a tribute to a life well lived and to a soul much loved that so many fishermen feel his loss so deeply.

He was a nice fellow, a big bear of a man and sort of puppy as well.

Hang in there,he had a wonderful life and my best guess is that his spirit still lives on.

Very sad news.  Ally, you and your brother are in my thoughts.  I always enjoyed Awesome John's enthusiasm--he was one of a kind and will be missed on SOL.  

I too am VERY sorry for you lost. Also not having met him personally, but through these pages, its like you know someone so well just from reading.   Joe

Ally,

As shocking as a sudden loss is, it is preferable to the long good bye that some of us are experiencing with our parents. Asim will be forever young in our memories and hearts.

I enjoyed going back and forth with him as we would try to find the best way to tune up our left handed Abu conventional reels. He was not easily satisfied and pushed the search way past when I had said "that's good enough."  Somewhere in his collection there must be some of the fastest left-handed reels in existence.

I greatly admired his persistence to improve on something. From afar, I also admired his musical gift and the shear joy he must have had whenever he played. That is a kind of Zen that I can't say I have ever experienced. And such a gift to share with so many....

My thoughts are with you, the family and friends. I am not near Montauk, but if you get near Boston, the door is always open to you...

Ross

Ally,

I never met your brother, but I understood him. In his posts it was not just about fishing, it was his passion and concern for others that I respected most.  

John, you were AWESOME! 

JW

Sorry for your loss like many here I never met your brother but enjoyed his posting here on the site.  

Im very sorry to hear that he passed. I didn't "know" him but I enjoyed reading what he wrote. I thought it was cool that he was there and I was here (USA) but I got to hear about his fishing. I remember he was trying to get some lures shipped to him and he was having a problem working the shipping out with the lady at the tackle store. It was funny!

Several SOL fuys stepped up to assist. That was cool too. Good bye Awesome John..

Posted (edited)

Having read so many heartfelt comments and condolences, I am overwhelmed with such gratitude for a life well lived by my brother and the role so many of you played as his fellow enthusiast and friend in his happiness.  I understood why he spent hours on end online because he had like-minded, good men, who were crazy about the sport like he was.  It is both amazing and a blessing how an online community can touch lives in so many ways.  

Thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts and memories about Awesome and for reaching out to our family to convey such heartfelt sympathies. My sister, his wife and I are filled with gratitude.  I feel like I am the luckiest sister in the world to have had him as my brother and best friend.  When he first introduced me to surf fishing, he bought me waders, corkers, two rods and a few lures. I remember he had it sent to me from James Tackle.Then, he took me fishing...at night to Turtle Cove in Monatuk.  We got dressed in the parking lot near the light house. I felt like I was on Mission Impossible in the middle of the night, dressed like aliens from another planet. I could barely walk because my boots were to big and I never wore corkers. While walking on the pavement, my brother told me to keep the tip pf the pole down or else I would be electrocuted if i hit one of the lines!! You know I kept that tip down and always will. We walked through heavy bush in the middle of night, pitch dark, with flash lights on our heads. He used to joke around and scare me and tell me about the Montauk Experiment.  When we walked down through the dark path to Turtle Cove, he got a kick out me saying "You need to be nuts to go fishing this late at night and walking through a path that looks like the movie The Blair Witch Project". As my heart pounded rapidly (more with excitement rather than fear) we reached Turtle Cove for the first time and the moon was shining bright.  What a site...I felt like he and I were the only two people left in this world.  By then I knew how to cast and he was so proud of me. I said how do I know a fish hits...he laughed and said |"'oh you'll know"'.  I was his  "mini-me" and was forever hooked on fishing. We causght a striped bass that night, a big keeper. We brought it to the chinese restaurant and it made 4 different dishes. 

After fishing the surf in the moonlight, I looked forward to the days I could go to Montauk. when he was in Istanbul and I was in NY, I rayed to catch something so I can send him a picture and make him proud.  Although I wasn't one tenth of the angler he was, it didn't matter to me because just being there and casting into the waves, and fighting the elements was the experience that made me happy.   I will always remember fishing with his dear friend Ken Kassin  RIP.  What an amazing man he was.  He would refer to me as Little Gunduz!  A jeep on the beach, hot coffee and fishing with two great guys....I felt so blessed for the experience.

I love you my brother and so happy to know you had so many great friends here.  These are some real stand-up guys and the true Knights of our day. I am so glad you were able to share such good times with them online.

THANK YOU  ALL from the bottom of my heart for the LOVE and hoping my brother pulls some strings in heaven and delivers you guys the cow of your life.

ally

Edited by awesomeblooz

Posted (edited)

Ally,

As shocking as a sudden loss is, it is preferable to the long good bye that some of us are experiencing with our parents. Asim will be forever young in our memories and hearts.

I enjoyed going back and forth with him as we would try to find the best way to tune up our left handed Abu conventional reels. He was not easily satisfied and pushed the search way past when I had said "that's good enough."  Somewhere in his collection there must be some of the fastest left-handed reels in existence.

I greatly admired his persistence to improve on something. From afar, I also admired his musical gift and the shear joy he must have had whenever he played. That is a kind of Zen that I can't say I have ever experienced. And such a gift to share with so many....

My thoughts are with you, the family and friends. I am not near Montauk, but if you get near Boston, the door is always open to you...

Ross

Thank you Ross!  You are so kind.  Although i am in istanbul, far away my home is open to you and all who ever cross the Atlantic to visit. 

Edited by awesomeblooz