Help with a 16' aluminum boat for saltwater.

Rate this topic

My brother gave me a 16 foot aluminum boat, motor and trailer combo last year.  They were going to give him nothing for a trade in.  It's a 1993 Sylvan.  Leaked like a sieve, but that was due to him fishing A LOT and all the miles on the trailer.  he estimated 75-100K miles on the trailer, much of it on logging roads in northern Maine.  The  heads on the rivets on the hull where it rode on the trailer were literally polished off.

I replaced about 40 rivets and set them in 5200, painted the boat, and redid the interior carpet.  It came out nice, doesn't leak, and I hope to get another 20 years out of it.  It rides ok, but is a joy to trailer, launch, beach and fish from.  I love it. Motor is old and tired, but runs great.  Sips fuel. Tiller steering, manual start.

The one piece of advice I have is to get one you can walk from  bow to stern in. Middle seats going across are a pain in the butt, in my opinion.  Mine has a stern seat and bow platform, with seats/storage on each side in the middle, open up the middle  flat floor.   Very comfortable set up.  It was never in the salt prior, but I've taken it out in fishers island sound for fluke/scup without issue

Edited by jkrock

"mother Theresa was a POS"-fish'nmagician

The one piece of advice I have is to get one you can walk from  bow to stern in. Middle seats going across are a pain in the butt, in my opinion.  Mine has a stern seat and bow platform, with seats/storage on each side in the middle, open up the middle  flat floor.   Very comfortable set up.

Agree 100%.....that's how my Lund is.

I currently use a 1987 starcraft 16' with a 74" beam with a 25hp 4stroke.my boat has open wood floor with pedistal seats.boat is great for fishing rivers and the sound when i am by myself.add another person that weighs 350 and the boat is underpowered with the 25hp. If you want to do some running around or bring a few bigger guys with you i would say get a wide beam boat with atleast a 40hp.