Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cms

rod info please

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what the true lure range is for these two rods .( in my case sinker&bait range) . breakaway 10' 0ne piece rated 4-8 oz model # LDFC100MH. lamiglas 10' one piece rated 6-12 oz model #xs/101hcsp .both of the rods are factory build and conventional and are at the fishermans headquarters web site.

C,

I bought 2 baitrods from Fisheads this year. Sean took me outside and let me fool around W/ his XS101HC. I had 10 oz. on it and the tip did not flex much at all. So I think it's a safe bet that as W/ almost all Lami's they tend to be a bit under rated. Well atleast that is what I have found to be the case. I also played W/ a 1 peice 2 peice light (from Brakeaway), I belive it was also rated to 12 oz. that rod however had a much softer tip, but I don't know much about those rods. I can tell you that the XS1161HC I have is rated to 16 oz. and I have put 12 oz. and half a bunker on it and that rod with aprox. 16 to 18 oz. still feels stiff smile.gif but the down side as you might exspect, is you hook a small fish on it, and the rod does not flex much. I'm not doing any more than a drag cast with it, or any of my bait rods, so take my advice with that in mind.

I found that if yer lookin for a rod that has some flex in the tip, so it still can be used W/ 4, 5 or 6 oz. and a clam. That's tipical for round here, you won't / it won't be happy W/ 8 or 10 and bait. So I guess that explains why I bought 2 bait rods this year huh? Kinda cracks me up though, I always said I would never spend alot of dough on a bait rod, but...... well this bunch knows how it is biggrin.gif

Ed J

[This message has been edited by Ed J (edited 12-03-2000).]

Chris, the Breakaway in question is built on the GSW 1208 blank--which is also the tip section of the 1 piece/2 piece light that Ed tried out. I have the 1208 built conventional by Mike T, and I think the real range is more like 3 to 6 ounces. I've never thrown more than 4 on mine, but it handles it easily. It is also a good fish fighting rod. For sinkers and bait, I think the better choice is the one built on the slightly heavier 1209 blank, I think the factory Breakaway model is the LDFC 100H. They should be the same price, both the 1208 and 1209 blanks cost the same. Tim can tell you more about the 1209.

The Lami, I believe, is built on the GSB 120 1M blank. I have one spinning and one conventional built on that blank. 6 to 12 is optimistic, IMO. I think you'd be better off getting the GSB 122 1MH blank and having someone wrap it for you. That's a real 8 and bait blank, and will also throw heavy plugs and jigs.

My 1208 has tossed 8 and bait. An it has done okay. I wouldnt try to power cast it, but it will get the 8 and bait out there. The 1209 will throw 10 ounces or more no problem. The 1209 is the tip section of the 2piece 1peice breakaway. the 1208 is the tip of the 2/1 light. If you trim an inch or two off the 1208 it will handle the heavier wieghts better. The down side of the 10 footers is they dotn cast as far as the longer rods. So if duistance matters you might wanna rethink the 10 footer.

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

Thanks for the reply's Ed and John.Mike what rod blank or factory built rod would you recommed to toss chunks and clams in the fall fling area.If the rod is over 10' it has to be a 2 piece rod.Thanks Mike

Chris--lots of guys use the minimum weight needed to keep a sinker in place depending on conditions, but I think you're better off using 6-8 oz under all conditions. With 25# mono, you shouldn't need a long shock leader if you use a standard overhead cast.

That 122 1MH Lami is 10'2", just 2" longer than your "max" for a one-piece. It'll handle 6-8 and bait. Sea Isle supposedly has them and they retail for about $180-$190. That's for the blank-only, of course, as Lami doesn't offer a factory rod on that blank. The Ron Arra series doesn't have anything under 10'6" that will handle weight and bait. They do make a big 11'6" heaver in that line, plus the 126 1MH which is rated 4-6 oz.

Hey, for a long time, I fished chunks and sinkers on an 11' 2-piece Penn Slammer. It did the job, and at the time I bought it, it only cost about $90. Most of our bait fishing is done inside the outer bar and casting performance isn't a factor as long as the rod won't wimp out under the weight of the load. If you don't want to spend big bucks, Penn's new surf rods will probably work. But, we keep coming back to that 10' Breakaway on the 1209 blank, the LDFC 100H as a factory rod, and it costs less than $200. Tough to argue with that on dollars-for-dollars.