Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nsf0607

Instant anti reverse 706?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Hoping someone can help. Can adjustments be made to the penn 706/706z to achieve instant anti-reverse? Also what adjustments can be made to help with the wobble?

Thanks

nsf0607

to balance the reel and remove the wobble i would suggest this. add a small peice of lead tape to the inside of the rotor. you can get the lead tape at a sporting goods store ussually in the tennis section. add about a half inch opposite the side of the roller and see how that feels

Instant anti-reverse......no.

Chicky's idea in theory is ok.There's only about a 1/16" of an inch between the rotor cup and spool.You might be able to get away doing it by placing the lead on the bottom of the inside of the cup or on the outside.

Best bet...its a 706,leave it alone.

Thanks Buzzby. I'm leaning to your suggestion. Leaving it alone. I may try to find another greenie 706 and make one of those Penn-Staal I saw. Not too sure if all the cutting will affect the overall proformance. Anyone out there have any insight?

Surfrat59, let me know how that goes, I am going to try some things also. If there is anyone else that was able to achieve this or is attempting it post your efforts and maybe we can complete this with all the information posted. It would be great to have a 706 that is light with instant anti-reverse. Thanks for all your posts.

nsf0607

NIB, good point. I'm not quite sure if it will have any affect while fishing. The only thing that I can compare it to is my sustain 8000FD. Both reels will handle larger fish, but the 8000 is much smoother and I guess we as fishermen associate a smooth reel as possible a better reel. This is apparent with the prices we are willing to pay for those newer products, me included. I am not saying all smoother reels are better, that would be a senseless statement, but a reel's smoothness does matter to fishermen. I really do not want this thread to get into the 706's fish ability; we all know that it's a workhorse. But from what I have read in past post and some of the responses in this thread there are quite a few of us who would love to make some adjustments to this old reliable reel and the instant anti-reverse is one of those adjustments.

nsf0607