Been To Montauk?

Rate this topic

ByronPA

I'm hoping to make it out there in mid September for the first time. I'm in the Harrisburg area and mapquest is sending me out the PA Turnpike, to the NJ Turnpike, through NY City and out 27, or whatever the main road going out is.

Mapquest is claiming this will take five hours? I find that rather doubtful, I'll be leaving here around noon on a Saturday. Is five hours close to being accurate? 

You are closer to 6 hours.  Do not go thru the city, I repeat, do not go thru the city.  Mapquest gave me a much better route from hburg to massapequa ny, and from there its about 2 hours.  Stop at All American Burger for some nostalgic burgers and shakes. 

I'm a trucker. I live on Long Island and I used to work for Schneider. So I know your area. Take 81 to 78 to NJT north to 1and 9 (exit 15E). Take that to the Holland tunnel. Once out of the Tunnel, take the local streets to the Williamsburg bridge. As long as its not rush hour, you should be fine. From there take the BQE to the LIE. Get off at exit 70, route 111. take that south to 27 and take that to the end.

Avoid the city, like the plague.  All you need is some parade, or bunch of fools to clog up your route.  Stick to the parkways and enjoy the ride.  Truckers must go thru the city, vacationers, not so much.

Trucks don't go through the city! I parked my truck in NJ and drove my car back and forth every day. You did it what? Once?

Byron, I head up there a few times a year from Harrisburg.  Usually leave after work on a Friday night, so traffic isn't that bad, but we just hit 81-N to 78 pretty much all the way to NYC.  From there, you hit a few of the 95 variants, over the George Washington, and end up getting off at Throg's Neck.  Then you hit the cross-island parkway to 495.  495 out a ways until you eventually turn off and hit 27 until you get to Montauk.

Travel time is about 5.5 hours

Haven't had too bad of luck going through the city, except for Memorial Day weekend.

My nephew took me out on a charter fluke fishing trip as a belated birthday present on the 11th out of Center Moriches.  I left Philly at a 1130 on Friday and didn't get to my motel till around 1830.  Mapquest gave me three routes as possibilities.  One took me up the NJT and over the GW bridge to 495/LIE.  The other two took me off the NJT at Exit 13 and over the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.  Once I got off the bridge I had the option to stay on 278/BQE to the LIE or take the Belt Parkway and go up the South shore.

I stayed on 278/BQE.  Bad choice.  There's construction on the BQE that didn't look like a short term project which took out the left lane somewhere in Brooklyn.  It picked up a bit after that till I hit the LIE and stopped again.   Just sheer volume.   I will never complain about Philly traffic again.  Maybe the southern route would have been a better choice hard to tell.  It took me 3 1/2 hours to get home going back the way I came Saturday afternoon.  If you're leaving Harrisburg around noon on a Saturday, mid-September by the time  you get to your exit either the BQE/LIE or the Belt Parkway might be your best option.  

The traffic that you're going to hit on the GWB at that time is going to be crazy. the Cross Bronx will be nuts too. Trust me, the Holland tunnel is the best way. IDK if they are still working on the skyway. If not, take that from 78. I worked for 4.5 years in NJ. I drove every which way possible. There is a good reason why I'm telling you to go this particular way!

I live in Queens and if I leave at noon on a Saturday it's likely to take me almost 5 hours to get to Montauk.  You need to rethink your departure time.  You want to hit NYC after 9pm or before 7am, otherwise all bets are off.  Nighttime is the right time because even if you're early, daytime traffic through the hamptons will make you want to pull your hair out.

I grew up in Western PA and my parents still live there.  The Harrisburg exits on 76 are almost exactly 3 hours from my parents' place.  I have made the drive 100+ times.  I never take the tunnels before midnight, because I have been burned one too many times.  

So leave at 5pm., or 6, or even better 7.  Take 78 to 95 to the GW.  You still might get screwed, but you are less likely to get screwed.  495 to Manorville (ex 111 , pit stop), then down to 27E to montauk.  Enjoy a relatively traffic free drive through the hamptons and the beautiful starry night when you arrive in the lower lot.  Crash for a couple of hours in your car.  Begin fishing.

If you leave at noon I'd put the over/under for your arrival time at 9 hours.

Edited by derangler
Fish the edges.

I've been dying to go. Trying to get plans together to make the trip. Were you able to find a cheap place to stay? 

I found several places that I thought were reasonably priced.........staying at the Harborside.

I'm southwest of you and I leave around 8 or 9 to go out that way. I left at noon before, I won't again.

Yea, that seems to be the general consensus............that's what time I get off work, trying to maximize my limited time.