Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Captain Ahab

Block Island Advice

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Contemplating a trip to Block this fall to see what is what.  NOT looking for spots or fishing advice per se.  I do have some basic questions:

1.  Is it best to bring a vehicle or rent a bike (or moped)?

2. Recommendations on places to stay - likely make this a short trip of three nights so probably a hotel room not a rental house; 

3. Ferry service - coming from the South (PA) so which one is best ?

4. Anything else I am missing?

Thanks all for any help or advice 

1- Bring a vehice

2- Check online now and make some calls, the chamber of commerce is really helpful.

3- Point Judith Rhode Island will be the only boats running that time of year. 

4- Bring everything you need, tackle, food etc.  A trip to the island is expensive enough without shopping out there.  Damn near everything will be closed when your out there. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

In my opinion depending how deep you get into the fall i would not go to block. There are better places to fish from shore that time year.   The boats get them pretty good at block that time of year  surf is better other times of year.  If your there in september you have a good shot at albies. In my opinion a better chance than anywhere else on the coast. That would be my focus if i was there. You  need to be set up for albies your typical surf set up won't work. 

Edited by crazybellringer

In my opinion depending how deep you get into the fall i would not go to block. There are better places to fish from shore that time year.   The boats get them pretty good at block that time of year  surf is better other times of year.  If your there in september you have a good shot at albies. In my opinion a better chance than anywhere else on the coast. That would be my focus if i was there. You  need to be set up for albies your typical surf set up won't work. 

I usually do the Vineyard each fall and know exactly what you mean - albies are always good.  Never been to Block so it would be more of a lets see this place trip than a "I am gonna catch bass" type trip.

Thanks  - great advice 

I usually do the Vineyard each fall and know exactly what you mean - albies are always good.  Never been to Block so it would be more of a lets see this place trip than a "I am gonna catch bass" type trip.

Thanks  - great advice 

Split your trip do a day or two on block and spend some time in south county.  There is a place pleasant view in on the main land i like to stay there. It's usually home base for the tavern RI trip.   You can also do fishing right around point judith. 

Just got back from Block.  I'm from PA myself.

We took the Point Judith ferry over.  No problems getting there and the drive was pretty easy.

I would definitely look into taking a vehicle over.  The island is pretty big for riding around on a bike, especially at night trying to find some of the small "roads" that lead to the beach.

Don't overlook some of the sandy beaches.  Spent a chunk of time beating ourselves up on the rocks, only to find that we caught more fish the "easy way", right from the sand.

Take a camera.  It's an awesome place, even if you're not fishing or catching fish.

I believe there are ferries running out of New London CT that will save you about 45 minutes to an hour drive to RI. They have the high speed as well as the normal one. probably a push  between driving and riding the ferry regarding total time, not sure of the price difference either

A vehicle is a must for any extended stay.  Car service is only available out of Point Judith.  A lot of rentals run week long, but are relatively cheap in the shoulder seasons.  There are other places (hotel, VRBO) that will rent on a day by day basis.  In some instances it may be cheaper to do a week rental and only stay for 4-5 days versus renting by the day. 

I love being out there any time of the year.  Fishing in October onward can be tough, but also rewarding.  I have been out in October for some great fishing; but also been blown out by storms and huge winds that make fishing next to impossible.  Luckily there are some fun bars that are still open that time of year and cab service is available if you drank too much. 

I would definitely go for it; the beauty of the island and the experience of being there have no price tag..... 

What is the recommended set up for Albies? I don't have any experience fishing for them but have an interest. Thanks 

Comfortable running shoes. A rod that can throw an ounce or less really far no braid no swivel tie direct  people like a flooro leader.  A real with a high retrieve rate held but it's not mandatory.

Hey Cap, lived on the block for over 30 years now, wow getting old. Good info on here. Falls have not been very good here for some time now as reported. It seems as Septober rolls in ,the bass roll out ,unlike the good old days. The earlier in September the better. July and August are the best, unlike the good old days. You can rent a car on the island but I'm not sure how bad they will beat you up for that. Might be worth a look if your only here for a few days. The Island Manor has rooms with some cooking and gas grills, not a bad place. I think the New London CT high speed is still running in September but they don't allow a car. This ferry has a good parking lot and it can save you some time if you get a car on island. Just a thought. If you bring a car throw a kayak on it and you are in heaven,that is if it doesn't blow. If the bass aren't playing the game you can jig up Sea Bass and scup for some fun. Try live lining a scup it can be deadly from the yak. Beach fishing on the Block is a blast as it is so remote in places and not much pressure. Most places are still in full swing in early September so it's not that dead out there. You can still go out to bars and you can get some good eats. Try the National Hotel for dinner you won't be sorry. Good luck , I will still be there cursing those stupid wind mills!

What is the recommended set up for Albies? I don't have any experience fishing for them but have an interest. Thanks 

trout rod + pearl zoom fluke+ positive mental attitude