albieonthefly

Tailing Bluefish on Long Island

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

We were out late in May and ran into something unusual for me, large groups of Bluefish hanging out in shallow water and many of them had their tails out of the water. Some one said to me that they don't tail, they "fin" but whatever the right term it was a very cool sight. Many of them acted like a bone casually searching the bottom.

It was hard to take video, as soon as you got in close they were gone. 

Tight lines!

I've seen them do that in 35ft of water in the middle of the peconic. Pretty awesome. Me and a friend slammed them a few weeks ago I think where your at in the video

Thank you for the kind comments, And I had a person tell me it's courtship other that is to support their weight, I tend to agree that this behavior is not fully understood.

Couple long range pictures I took with the not so greatest camera, with a circular polarizer but still coudn't punch through the water.

- Sergio

post-14967-0-01031100-1465867566.jpg

post-14967-0-04325100-1465867938.jpg

We did some bait and switch last week. Had one that did not want to spit out the plug.

Was killer because the guy with the hookless plug still almost always got a shot at fish. We'd tease them up->throw fly->fly rodder hooks up->teaser rod put aside->watch as other blues (a few bass on one!) came up and checked out the hooked blue causing all the commotion-> throw fly at 1-5 Blues checking things out= double hook up. Worked almost every time.

I have seen the same thing mid Long Island sound in over 100 foot of water. Flat calm and super spooky. I think tabory has a section about this in his book. Also the ones in the sound that do this are huge fish.

Edited by Nikoli

They're sunning themselves,warming up to eat.Fished 'em last week (like I do every May/June)while they were doing this.Slight ripple on the water,a nervous look,slightly flatter'n the water around it,the fins sticking out,all clues to blues.Lay a popper out in front of them,strip hard a couple times and hold on!

They're sunning themselves,warming up to eat.Fished 'em last week (like I do every May/June)while they were doing this.Slight ripple on the water,a nervous look,slightly flatter'n the water around it,the fins sticking out,all clues to blues.Lay a popper out in front of them,strip hard a couple times and hold on!

That's my theory too--I see them do this on the south shore of the Cape.  They come into the shallows over a relatively dark bottom and the water is warmer there.  They aren't actively feeding, just lazing around.  But when I have caught them there, I have had them puke up 10" squid.  I think they are feeding in the colder, deeper waters of Nantucket Sound and then coming into the shallows to rest and warm up.  And they won't always hit a fly or lure there--they can be down right frustrating--but usually, with a little experimenting, you can find something they'll hit.  

I see bass do that too. I used to dive a spot in Ri where I'd get in the water at this hidden crack in a cliff. It would go from 2ft-20ft in the narrow passage and then open up to ocean. I used to alway see a bass in the shallow section just hanging out in the sun.