CBass123

Teasers: Dropper Loop or Tied to Swivel?

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

I use them for my dropper and like them. Easy to use and they work. They are not a regular 3 way swivel ( they are a   3 wayT swivel). 

J-  What kind of size do they come in and are they reliable and strong for the salt?  Seem to be bigger than the smaller spros I use....would they spook fish ?

Thanks.

Edited by yogiiiboy

The only other thing to think about would be tying a rapala loop knot to attach the fly. It's hot looking while moving in the water.

I forget about teaser flies for periods of time, then catch less and remember!

Ease of use with a dropper.  It stands off the line more and you get less tangles, as well as you can switch teasers easily.

The negative is that the dropper loop creates a line weakness and if you have two fish on, then you could have a problem and lose both.

Tied to a swivel the two lines are independent and each is stronger.  The problem here is you tend to get more tangles.

This

J-  What kind of size do they come in and are they reliable and strong for the salt?  Seem to be bigger than the smaller spros I use....would they spook fish ?

Thanks.

yogi,

I purchased some last year at TD. They had them in various sizes. I use the smallest ones for "Fluke Tap Dancer Rigs" -  larger size for Bass dropper. They work in the salt. I don't think they spook the fish,however, the smaller the better.

Use the thunder mist t swivel. It will never get tangled. Should have used it years ago.

What size do you use ? I see they come in 20, 35, 55, 85 and 120 pound test.

Edited by Super Googan

Anybody have stats on the strength of a dropper loop knot?  I never even considered using one since i know its a weaker knot.  I have busted enough of them while tog fishing to not try it on bass. 

Anybody have stats on the strength of a dropper loop knot?  I never even considered using one since i know its a weaker knot.  I have busted enough of them while tog fishing to not try it on bass. 

not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if it something like 50%.  But 50% of a 50lb. leader is still 25lb. and significantly more capable than the amount of drag you are using.

The bigger issue, at least IMO, is when you have a double header, then the two fish can impose more pressure on that knot then you can and that's where you can lose both.

The bigger issue, at least IMO, is when you have a double header, then the two fish can impose more pressure on that knot then you can and that's where you can lose both.

Yes, this is the major issue.  Your gear will only be as safe as the weakest knot between the fish.  Usually, with my three perfection loop system (which never, ever tangles) 50 or 60 pound will hold fine, though the hooks may open.  I don't really care.  I don't use a dropper fly rig to catch doubles, I use it to make both the primary lure and the fly more effective. Individually.  There is a dynamic there that exceeds the mathematics of just having two things on....I think.

I've never broken leaders with 80, and largish doubles, like two 20's.  But these size Stripes will really play havoc with hooks, split rings, etc.  Actually, the most common occurrence for me NOT to use a dropper fly is doubles.  I don't really want them.  They may be impressive but are usually a pain releasing fish etc., grotesquely strong hooks....etc. etc.

Maybe this is why John Skinner doesn't seem to use teasers?  But I honestly believe your final tally will be diminished without them. Maybe not today, or next week, but in the long run, certainly.

Edited by Roof

I should add that if you are worried about doubles and the strength between lure and dropper fly, just tie an overhand knot in the short fly snell.  That'll go first, better than losing your fancy plug or customized tin.

Edited by Roof

So here is my question. I've heard of people using teasers while jigging in places such as the canal. How do you go about tying leader in terms of length? I think it should be longer than usual since you're on rocky bottom. Or, could you tie off the TA clip ? Any thoughts?

I guess it depends on the bottom and what that is.  Big rocks, a fish on the fly, and the primary lure is in danger of snagging.  Use a weaker hook on that is what I do.

This is easy with a Jig or Tin and it's single hook, but with these plugs bristling with trebles, exceedingly strong trebles that everyone thinks so important, you may have a problem. 

It is often as important to have weak hooks as it is to have strong, is how I look at it. Where to use which is the trick.

Edited by Roof

yea but the weak hooks could turn to heart break... I was doing very well on teaser last fall... They were on small bait and it was out fishing whatever I tried on the end big time... Landed bunch of doubles of good sized fish,  but one time I hook up with what felt like a schooly then I get slammed and thing is freight training me back over the bar... Snapped the teaser hook...It hurt a lil cause It was my last chartruese and white teaser and they were all over that thing like flys on sh it.. 

Yes Wire,  the loss of fish can break one's heart.  But my heart has been broken so many times this way it doesn't much bother me anymore.  What bothers me is not to see a fish and with Stripers, if they are big, they are going back.

We don't have very (many) large Stripers anymore and that helps my rationalization :)  But I do understand.  Nowadays I dislike losing tackle as much as I dislike losing fish.  If it comes to losing tackle I want the least consequential stuff lost.  But that's just me.

The teaser setup must withstand tremendous force when one big fish is surging and shaking against another and to moderate that effect you'll need really stout tackle. As I've said, I have caught doubles of 20+ Bass -- in a whipping current to boot --- and you'll have to go pretty strong with all aspects of the fly and lure rig.  And certainly, were you over big fish you'd use that.

Remember;  a double of one 30 pounder and one 8 pounder will not exert the force against each other (and the leader) as will a pair of 20's.

----------------------------

I've been thinking about those Skinner videos which I really like.  But you must realize that he is hella over the fish....catching them every cast it seems like.  Were he using a teaser, this would be a situation of lots of doubles, and they can be an utter pain. 

Also, they would conflict and complicate what he is trying to show:  the bucktail in action, the bottle plug on a stormy beach, the poppers and the fish around the rocks....etc. To have a double here cuts into what he is trying to teach. 

Also, I have little doubt that other presentations would work as well as what he may be showing at the moment.  His videos aren't hard and fast data, they are wonderful illustrations of technique.  I wouldn't be using a teaser either to show this. And were I trying to illustrate a bottle plug's use, I wouldn't be covering these biters with a Tin and Tease. Though that gear may peg them too, and often has, in my experience.

This is why one of the very best things you can do is when the fish are biting, see what they WON'T bite.

Just a thought.  Roof

Edited by Roof

What size do you use ? I see they come in 20, 35, 55, 85 and 120 pound test.

I've used the 85 and 120. Mostly use the 120. You will see when you hold it in your hand how small they are. 120 fits striper and my tog fishing needs.