SurfNbird

Squid fishing

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone catching squid yet ? How do you catch them?

See them all the time in the marinas and some bays but never took interest. Wanna target them this time and cross em off my species bucket list.

Edited by SurfNbird

Cast nets, squid jigs, (diy, commercial glowing chaffe protectors or beads rigged with a treble and weight. Key for lures is glow and fishing at night when they get right up to piers, docks, inshore structure.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just let it sit there and give it a little movement, they attack it and their tentacles get stuck by the jig when you jerk it. Just get them to see it and they'll do the rest. Oh and watch out for the ink shotgun and beak lol, those suckers are violent little things.

Edited by meccalli

Just let it sit there and give it a little movement, they attack it and their tentacles get stuck by the jig when you jerk it. Just get them to see it and they'll do the rest. Oh and watch out for the ink shotgun and beak lol, those suckers are violent little things.

What he said. I jig it a little.Fun to catch..........

They spew ink!!

I think around the northeast they average about a pound (don't quote me on this) but have heard they can get up to 3 pounds?

If you find them in good numbers I think they're def worth meat fishing for

What I do know from one of my buddies is that you have to ice them right away. They go bad very fast

Yeah, white is the color you want the flesh to be. It's one of my favourite baits for dealing with bait stealers like mangrove snappers. Once they start to turn pink/red adn the chromatophores on the skin look grey and dull, it's no good.

12 is small. It is the humboldt I have seen videos of. They look mean. A little squid can get you, can't imagine how a humboldt beak would feel

Yeah, they've been known to kill people. It's been documented live them pulling off divers' masks during filming programs and they're cannibals to boot. Savages lol.