ScottO

Tri-tip

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

So last weekend I tried a bit of an experiment on the last tri-tip I had.  Must have come off a big animal because it was a big tri-tip.  I rubbed with S/P/G and put on the smoker.  Took it to 125 and rested.  Outstanding piece of meat.  Added an extra smoker ot the FEC100 and it had a great smokiness to it.  It was my last tri-tip so was a bit sad I had no more.  Was shopping yesterday and thought I would ask at the specialty market and lo and behold, tri-tip for 5.99 a pound!  got three more running around 2 pounds each.  Can't wait to do it again! 

When we lived out west we would eat tri-tip a lot.   Chunked into fist sized pieces, each stuffed with a clove of garlic.  Sear the outsides and slow roast.   Awesome

Picked one up.first time.  Thinking brisket rub. Almost three pounds, gonna do it indirect with oak. ... any feedback ? 

On 6/5/2016 at 4:11 PM, DMacLeod said:

When we lived out west we would eat tri-tip a lot.   Chunked into fist sized pieces, each stuffed with a clove of garlic.  Sear the outsides and slow roast.   Awesome

Thanks for that,

I was wondering if smoking was only way to do tri tip (not that I don't love smokinging).

Can DMac or anyone else please give some tips for good cooking method other than smoking, or even grilling, e.g. stovoe - top & or oven (e.g. cast iron)?

I love the stove top to oven and even to grill capability of cast iron.

Thanks in advance.

JD

4 mins ago, MakoMike said:

I sometimes use it to make an Asian style stir fry.

I smoked a pork loin Thursday and had a nice chunk left over...made a stir fry on a whim....I was surprised how simple and good it was. 

12 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

I have a cast iron specifically for the charcoal grill :laugh:

F39E75EB-E29E-4173-9C37-D73C1D1EA012.jpeg.3c4ea8a7d826a6d735be4e62867f40de.jpegDE81DFC5-3333-4D14-AC15-D2ACBB7A182A.jpeg.389219b506f5c9a71241f1c3acc92911.jpeg

i need to replace mine , i've always had one just for the grill.

Looks good Dinghy.

Never been big on Tri-Tip, is kinda over-rated for the price. Is basically the bottom sirloin near the flank, which makes it getting to the tougher parts that need to be treated differently than top sirloin or other steaks, especially since they often put top sirloin steak on sale for about $5/lb or less.

Years ago when it was a cheap cut my uncle used to put it right on the coals, few minutes every side.  Just salt.  Loved it as a kid as much for the novelty.  

I usually see it cut up into long strips.   Teriyaki.  If I cook a 2-3 lber it’s a rub and reverse sear.  

I use S&P plus a little garlic powder... Cook like a steak... Get the Kamado up to 600-700 degrees.... Sear for 90 sec, rotate 90 degrees, sear for 90 sec, flip, sear for 90 sec, rotate 90 degrees and close down air intake and outlet... Let cook until liked doness... I close the lid between all rotations and flipping... Just be careful on opening... Major flashback can occur... Don't ask me how I know (I look a little goofy with out eyebrows :mad:)...

Butch

I like doing my tri tip in the Santa Maria style- basting with a garlic and vinegar and spice mixture.