TBD

Amagansett Truck Beach Trial Begins Monday

Rate this topic

414 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Good question , showing up full time 10 or 15 years ago doesn’t mean sht yet some transplants from away feel they can change the way things are. You can’t buy your way in. 

Unfortunately, it happens in a lot of places.

The Connecticut town I grew up in always had a lot of transients riding the corporate merry-go-round, but still had a good base of both wealthy families who lived there for generations and a middle class of tradesmen and merchants who enjoyed having a lot of folks with money so close at hand, including a surprising number who could trace their roots back to the town's founding in 1640.  Although close to New York, it felt like New England, run by the RTM (representtive town meeting) and with a pay as you go program that prohibited the town from taking on any debt.

But more and more people started lieaking in from New York City, and we started hearing the "that's not how we did it where we lived" refrain.  We locals resisted it for a time, but things started changing, it didn't feel much like home anymore, and I ended up moving out to Suffolk County where, if nothing else, housing was cheaper and fishing was a lot more interesting.

I still go back up there to fish with a friend--I was last there a week ago.  The place has been taken over by hedge fund types who don't even own their homes, but run them through their businesses as investments.  The waterfront, always lined with fine homes, is now littered with trophy mansions that don't fit with the landscape.  Corporate offices have blocked almost every view of the waterfront from public roads.

Because the unfortunate fact is, the pressure is relentless and, in the end, if the desire is there, they CAN buy their way in if they really want to,

7 hours ago, CWitek said:

Unfortunately, it happens in a lot of places.

The Connecticut town I grew up in always had a lot of transients riding the corporate merry-go-round, but still had a good base of both wealthy families who lived there for generations and a middle class of tradesmen and merchants who enjoyed having a lot of folks with money so close at hand, including a surprising number who could trace their roots back to the town's founding in 1640.  Although close to New York, it felt like New England, run by the RTM (representtive town meeting) and with a pay as you go program that prohibited the town from taking on any debt.

But more and more people started lieaking in from New York City, and we started hearing the "that's not how we did it where we lived" refrain.  We locals resisted it for a time, but things started changing, it didn't feel much like home anymore, and I ended up moving out to Suffolk County where, if nothing else, housing was cheaper and fishing was a lot more interesting.

I still go back up there to fish with a friend--I was last there a week ago.  The place has been taken over by hedge fund types who don't even own their homes, but run them through their businesses as investments.  The waterfront, always lined with fine homes, is now littered with trophy mansions that don't fit with the landscape.  Corporate offices have blocked almost every view of the waterfront from public roads.

Because the unfortunate fact is, the pressure is relentless and, in the end, if the desire is there, they CAN buy their way in if they really want to,

Buy their way in to a house , sure, but never , ever into the true community. They’ll always be either summer people  , tolerated to a point , or just arrogant azz  holes despised and ridiculed by the folks that actually live there and make the place run.  Pompous pricks from away posing as local fishermen on this site are an example of the latter of course 

52 mins ago, pakalolo said:

Buy their way in to a house , sure, but never , ever into the true community. They’ll always be either summer people  , tolerated to a point , or just arrogant azz  holes despised and ridiculed by the folks that actually live there and make the place run.  Pompous pricks from away posing as local fishermen on this site are an example of the latter of course 

Nah, the last thing I ever want to be confused with is some inbred local.  

Which luckily for you - you are not. You were born up island, went to high school up island.  You ain’t a local, you just talk the same bitter entitled nonsense as the locals. Your fat ass defines the genre.  

1 hour ago, pakalolo said:

Problem is that they kill the community.

Push up the prices of real estate so the kids growing up can't afford to buy.  Don't buy from the old local businesses.  They get involved with the schools and the town politics, and their networks from their businesses and their clubs end up putting them in charge.

It was the way you described at first, whith them the outsiders and the locals still at the heart of things.

Now the town is in debt, traffic is a mess, old historic buildings are being replaced by cheesy condos, and the main street doesn't have the same feel.  So long as you drive through, it's still a pretty town, but don't get out of the car because most of the people are, as you said, arrogant a****les.  

Some, like my friend, are still hanging out, but just about everyone I grew up with moved out of town, as I did as well.  It's our honme town, but not home any more.

50 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Nah, the last thing I ever want to be confused with is some inbred local.  

Which luckily for you - you are not. You were born up island, went to high school up island.  You ain’t a local, you just talk the same bitter entitled nonsense as the locals. Your fat ass defines the genre.  

Really? Do tell

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

Problem is that they kill the community.

But hey look how well the locals have handled the truck beach situation.  Seen the latest on the Marc Rowan/ Duryea's chicanery or the massive Gosman's fluke poaching operation?

Nothing screams local pride like having to pay some clowns a fortune for a beach that you already own, shady backroom real estate deals or running an illegal fluke poaching cartel!!

14 hours ago, Cpalms said:

But hey look how well the locals have handled the truck beach situation.  Seen the latest on the Marc Rowan/ Duryea's chicanery or the massive Gosman's fluke poaching operation?

Nothing screams local pride like having to pay some clowns a fortune for a beach that you already own, shady backroom real estate deals or running an illegal fluke poaching cartel!!

It’s nice you got a house expecting to own the beach when In fact you knew people used that beach for driving. How stupid can you be. 

6 mins ago, hydraman said:

It’s nice you got a house expecting to own the beach when In fact you knew people used that beach for driving. How stupid can you be. 

Not true, my house is (thankfully) a few miles away from truck beach.  I will always enjoy the most open access to the beach of any community on the eastern seaboard. Always. I support beach access both with my actions and my checkbook.

I will say, I do enjoy watching the arrogant entitled local yokel government officials flail away against a bunch of rich old geezers who are annoyed that the hillbilly locals have been permitted to turn their beach into the infield at the Talledega speedway.  You know, cuz it's a tradition.

You are going far out of your way to mad at the wrong people.  The locals politicians are elected by and for the locals.  Start there.

29 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Not true, my house is (thankfully) a few miles away from truck beach.  I will always enjoy the most open access to the beach of any community on the eastern seaboard. Always. I support beach access both with my actions and my checkbook.

I will say, I do enjoy watching the arrogant entitled local yokel government officials flail away against a bunch of rich old geezers who are annoyed that the hillbilly locals have been permitted to turn their beach into the infield at the Talledega speedway.  You know, cuz it's a tradition.

You are going far out of your way to mad at the wrong people.  The locals politicians are elected by and for the locals.  Start there.

I’ve been driving on Long Island my whole life and a lot of those years on the beach. A lot more people doing it now it’s wild. Enforcement would be nice but to take it away because of a few morons. Not what we want. Loosing access is never a good thing. Especially on Long Island and NY a place access is so hard to come by.