TBD

Amagansett Truck Beach Trial Begins Monday

Rate this topic

415 posts in this topic

By Michael Wright

From the Southampton Press

With a trial in the legal dispute between East Hampton Town and a group of Amagansett property owners challenging the right of four-wheel-drive vehicles to use the ocean beaches near their houses during the day in summertime set to start next Monday, June 6, beach driving advocates say that their opponents have ramped up efforts to skew public opinion against the practice.

Members of the Citizens for Access Rights, a pro 4x4 group, said that on several occasions in recent weeks, and in numerous locations this past weekend, they encountered young people, some teenagers, who were hired by a group created by homeowners to pass out fliers decrying the use of the Amagansett beach by trucks as unsafe and asking for signatures on a petition opposing beach driving.

The young people passing out the petitions said they had been hired to do it, after responding to Craigslist job postings, and were put up in local hotels, according to a CfAR spokesperson, who said that the young signature gatherers outside the Red Horse Market and East Hampton Stop-n-Shop and numerous other locations around East Hampton Village.

One of the young men told a CfAR member, according to the spokesperson, that he was from Queens and had been offered $15 an hour to solicit signatures and hand out fliers. The young man, who did not give his name, said he was given a two to three minute background on the issues raised by the homeowners, who formed a group called Safe Access For Everyone, or SAFE, whose banner was on the fliers being distributed.

Cindi Crain, a founder and spokesperson for SAFE, defended the petition gathering.

"Canvassing for a cause we deeply believe in is fully protected by our First Amendment rights," Ms. Crain said in an email on Tuesday. "We are parents with small children and grandchildren whose safety we fear for as they navigate trucks on the beach."

On Monday, attorneys for East Hampton Town and the East Hampton Town Trustees and the homeowners group will begin the trial in the now seven-year-old lawsuit over the use of the beach by vehicles.

The homeowners claims which has filed a parallel lawsuit, are two-fold: that the beach in question—lying between Napeague Lane and the boundary of the Napeague State Park to the east—is actually owned by the neighboring property owners associations and that the town's allowing vehicles onto only that beach during the day constitutes an unfair nuisance being foisted upon the adjacent residents.

The trial will also include a parallel lawsuit filed by the owners of the White Sands Motel in Napeague.

The town has begun proceedings to condemn the beach, in the event the court should find that the homeowners' ownership claim is valid and SAFE has led a public lobbying effort to highlight the potential high cost—in the tens of millions, the group has claimed—to compensate the oceanfront homeowners for its market value should the town proceed with condemnation. Town officials have said they think the actual market value of the natural, and somewhat ephemeral, beach will actually be fairly low in the eyes of real estate appraisers.

smh. lucky I did not see them at the red horse when I was grabbing some pizza and delivering product. They are not the only ones with children and grandchildren running the beaches. We should be putting more effort in enforcing SAFE beach driving instead of taking it away. Also seems a little bit of a contradiction, no day driving when you can see clearly, but okay for night driving? when said teenage children and younger are out running the beaches like kids do. Money drives all..

Hell! and forget Mcdonalds, I will just hit up Craiglist for that $15 an hour. I will canvass for cFar for free. But have to play both sides so I get an east end hotel room and some cash. 

This trial is political theatre--so the odds are 50/50 and anything could happen.

The condemnation  according to those in the know,however, is probably going to happen.Which is what we want and will send a very strong message pro public access.

So none of us are  hanging our hat on any decision that might come from this particular trial. 

Yes,a few lawyers believe that the public might actually win this trial,meaning those who want this beach to be 24/7 open to the public---personally I think the fix is in  and that the outcome will be predicated on the town's resolve to condemn.  The condemnation will send a very clear message. 

LAST THING---the plaintiffs are suing to have total control of this beach and the decision making power to prevent the public from even walking onto the sand.

This might be why Crain and her ilk will lose the actual trial,unless the judge hearing the case is a misinformed dumbbell.

I promise you that I have had two attorneys read every possible motion recorded and this case is definitely not about just beach driving.

Unfortunately, a bought off or sympathetic to the "entitled"  media, in some  cases, has deliberately not reported the facts pertaining to the case.

I thought that this point needed to be  mentioned.  My bet is that the beach will be CONDEMNED and the public will win on this one.

My bet is that the beach will be CONDEMNED and the public will win on this one.

Condemnation will never happen.

Condemnation will never happen.

Of course it will!   The process has already begun.  The democrats who run our town are pushing for it.  And most of the people are behind it.  The lawyers have already hired accessors.

Again we don't want the fancy pants beach property owners who are privatizers to decide beach policies.  So get ready to be disappointed TBD.

But you have been wrong so far about almost everything you have said about this case in the past,so i don't want you to louse up a perfect record.

Condemnation doesn't happen just cause the government wants it to.

The supreme court will be on notice that trucks on a beach is dangerous.

They wont approve the condemnation and the unlikely chance they do it will be so costly that the town wont fund the deal.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Condemnation doesn't happen just cause the government wants it to.

The supreme court will be on notice that trucks on a beach is dangerous.

They wont approve the condemnation and the unlikely chance they do it will be so costly that the town wont fund the deal.

This will never get to the supreme court. That's a ridiculous notion.  Our town has condemned before with no problems. We are condemning a beach that is underwater six months a year and is unbuildable.   Believe  me,this town NEVER bluffs or threatens or spends a dime on legal representation unless they truly are committed or have a good reason to believe that they can win.

This will continue to be slugged out and ultimately that beach will be condemned.

And the town does not need anyone's permission to undertake that process. Why do you think that SAFE brought in all of these ringers...they are scared  s------S.

This has been the ultimate goal of thousands of people and close to 300 Cfar affiliates---We have been studying the process of condemnation for seven years in preparation of this.

It's no news flash that the trustees a century or so ago, goofed and they sold the land. Fortunately for us they went against their public mandate...so we have a  shot here.

If you are right TBD you can  buy me dinner,If I am right..you can still buy me dinner.  But it has to be macrobiotic. :)   

Edited by JettyGuy

I heard its not looking good for the 4x4er's... 

We have a 50/50% shot at winning the case. But the strategy was never to put the fate of our beach into the hands of an out of town judge.

The condemnation strategy  has always been the one thing that we could control.  That's how we'll win this. That's what Cfar and the public want!  At least that's the hope.

When the Trustees sold the land, they sold to the seaward edge of the beach grass, the UPLAND portion. THE END

There has already been a ruling that the homeowners own the land. Wake up and read the news.