Doggfish80

Shimano Sustain 10000FG

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a Shimano Sustain 1000FG and have since read a couple of reviews stating that the plastic spool stand does not hold up well to large fast fish. I would like to know what some of you guys think of this reel. I do know that every reel Shimano makes has a plastic spool stand including the Stella. Anybody have a sustain and catch big fish with it? Thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

You just purchased it. So fish it and let us know what you think. Had both in the 8K size and was not a big fan of the FG as I prefer the older FE model. Beat the crap out of the FE reel and its still operating like the first day I bought it. 

Edited by heatjay

Posted (edited) · Report post

My dad has the smaller 5000 version and has caught cobia, shark and bull red on his....I own the same reel as him but have not really tested it yet (has a small handful of micro schoolie bass)...he's not reporting any issues with it (he's down in VA Beach and reports some of the catches with the reel since I bought the reel for him discounted at a Shimano/G Loomis sale up in Maine)

Edited by albacized

Own both 6k and 10k FG. Not as durable as the FE. Problem with grinding noise after a season on both reel. The clicker on the spool stop working on the 10k. Found out the spring fell off.

There were some reports on here about the spool support, which is plastic (or was plastic) breaking.  Don't know if it was resolved on the newer reels. Heard there was an update, though. Here's the thread:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/517017-sustain-10000fg-thought-you-guys-should-know/?hl=%2Bsustain+%2Blocal66#entry7980225

....I also have to add that I have a 5000 Sustain that has seen BRUTAL conditions, landed a ton of big fish and has worked very well. But I knew that I was going to fish hard with this reel when I got it, so I added a ball bearing to the rear osculating shaft (replacing the plastic bushing) and put in carbon drag washers. The only issues I've had was with this reel is the line roller bearing going out, which was expected because I fished the reel a lot in the rain. The line roller bearing is easy to replace and inexpensive. That being said, I've never had any issues with the spool support like in the link I posted in the above. Reels are feather light!

I have a 10000FG I use daily. Takes big fish with zero issues. Even taken a few tough spills and still functions 100%. I've seen a few pictures of the line roller with corrosion accumulating quickly but haven't experienced this myself. I give mine a strong 8.5/10

On 6/2/2016 at 10:21 PM, Doggfish80 said:

I recently purchased a Shimano Sustain 1000FG and have since read a couple of reviews stating that the plastic spool stand does not hold up well to large fast fish. I would like to know what some of you guys think of this reel. I do know that every reel Shimano makes has a plastic spool stand including the Stella. Anybody have a sustain and catch big fish with it? Thanks

I have a the Sustain 10000FG. The plastic spool support/stand did fail me but only once. It's a cheap and quick fix. Don't let that issue deter you. That was my main reel for years. I've caught countless cows with it. You wouldn't believe the details if I told you. It's a very tough reel. Was beyond my expectations. And it's still just as smooth as the day I got it. :)