Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Triet

Korker alternative?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

aeratorshoesjpg.jpg

Anybody ever try these?

They are made for lawn care and are called Aerator Shoes. I've seen them in mail order for about $10. Guess that you have to cut down the spikes and they are probably tough to drive with.

[This message has been edited by Triet (edited 05-30-2002).]

Treit - Where's the smiley facewink.gif I wouldn't trust my life to those. Besides the fact that they have few spikes than korkers, look at the flimsy strapsicon25.gif

If ya want to waste a lot of $, Orvis has some new cleats that look like they rust out in short order. Best part is they are only like $125. Those gardening cleats might be the ticket for when you really want to stay put in an estuary.

Angryeel

Your just asking for trouble with those things.cwm24.gif They have far less spikes than Korkers, the spikes are way too long and I can guarentee that they are not made from carbide steel, which mean they will wear down really fast.

I wish someone would come out with some competition for Korker because the quality of the Korker sandal is quickly going downhill. Some friendly competition might light a fire under thier arse.wink.gif

Angryeel">If ya want to waste a lot of $, Orvis has some new cleats that look like they rust out in short order. Best part is they are only like $125. Those gardening cleats might be the ticket for when you really want to stay put in an estuary.

Anybody have any experience with the Orvis sandals? I'd pay $125 if the product would last a couple of seasons.

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

SOL #25

yeah, the new orvis fly-fishing catalog has a korker type sandal that looks really impressive. all metal construction, no place for sand to clog, really rugged.

spikes look a tad long, kinda like golf shoe spikes.

anyone try these?

those might work in the sand.....biggrin.gif

..keep ya feet planted in the sand!!....for good...frown.gif

....don't waste your money!!!.....thats got "Danger" written all over it....and that won't have any traction at all on the rocks..cwm31.gifcwm24.gif

Triet

I purchased a pair of Stabilicers,from an outfit up in Maine.

They retail for about 45.00.I have tried them on a jetty,and they work fine.

Call them they are very accommodating.

1-800-782-2423

the Home Improvements catalog use to or may still have something like them aerator shoes... If this is where ya found it i wouldn't recommend purchasing them. I use to work for the company that owned that catalog.... basically it's pretty much all first rate crap made look good with a bunch of misleading words. biggrin.gif

------------------

"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process."

SOL# 1699

Irish Mist...Golf shoe cleats are not made of carbide and will wear quickly and they don't have as many cleats. I think the Korkers have 28 cleats per sandal compaired to 12 on the golf shoe. Even know the Korkers self destruct after a half a season of hard fishing, they will keep me safe.wink.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

SOL #25

dubs@stripersonline.com

For an alternative to korkers, you may have some luck if you check places where lumberjacks shop; I know they use a lot of spiked footwear. I saw a picture of some "jetty boots" that were actualy loggers boots, on another web site. They looked like they could be a good alternative. I just got korkers this season and so far so good. I did a little preventative maintainance before using them however. I wrapped all of the straps that come into contact with boots in chafing tape, available at any marine store. I also swapped the laces out for a pair of skate laces. I have not lost any studs yet, but I think when I do, I will replace them with stainless screws with nylock nuts on on bottom side. These are all ideas that are from others on this site that I think will make korkers about as durable as they can get. Of course, they should come that way, but how much stuff realy comes the way you want it to? I think the only gear that I have that is not altered in some way, are rods, that were custom wrapped to begin with. I do not think that the metal framed orvis alternative will be that good for salt water; they look like they will corrode quickly, at least to me. I know in the description that they do not specify stainless, let alone good stainless frames; they are described as "steel". To me that means instant rust.

Angryeel

are the orvis cleats listed online, i quickly looked in orvis store but didn't see em...liek i dubs i would spend $100+ if i believed theyy would last 2 seasons