SteveZ

Nutz

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Beachfish said:

Fenwick/302 combo

That was fun.  Now I'm working on a 13' conolon and a 386.  Keeps me outta mischief...mostly...

Seems like some fun projects.  I have my dad’s original Squidder that he bought In the 70s for like thirty bucks. We bottom fished from the boat for cod and haddock with them when I was a kid. I put some magnets and an aluminum spool in it to turn it into a beach reel. I don’t use it as much as I should. 

My buddy also fishes a squidder on an old Hatteras yellow stump heaver for drum. When we are night fishing he will use it as his third set up and throw a big bait short. I watched him catch a 48” drum on half a whiting last fall, bent that rod right to the reel seat. 

these are the types of projects that keep things interesting and fun. Thanks for sharing. 

17 hours ago, SteveZ said:

Lynn Jarman!  Sometimes it takes awhile.  Lynn was a great guy...

Lynn Jarman passed???? Wow. I used to go into Delmarva Sports Center all the time. Still have two squidders I bought from Lynn. 

Used to stop by Delmarva and then Harbor Tackle on the way to AI. Spent a lot of money at both.

Dang.  Big change.  My nice vintage conventional meant for the squidder?  It ain't what it seems.  Someone stuck a conventional top on a spinner butt and that's why the guides and layout seemed so weird.  It was sold as a parts rod with no guarantees so it is on me as I should have made certain what I was getting into.  Since it doesn't make sense to keep it as is with a couple new guides I'm gonna totally strip it and rebuild it as a conventional rod.  Dunno how I'm going to get that metal seat off, though.  Give me something to do this winter... 

My 9 year olds first beach set up.  200 surfmaster on a 9' Tica.  Pimped it out for her with a custom chameleon paint job.  She can just about get it past the breakers on most days.  She has a peerless 9 too I did for her for on the boat thats mounted on a custom rod a buddy built for her birthday.

Have a squidder im gonna do this winter if I get bored.

These penns never die

FB_IMG_1590645365406.jpg

FB_IMG_1590645374796.jpg

FB_IMG_1590645444203.jpg

FB_IMG_1590645462561.jpg

FB_IMG_1590645466784.jpg

Well it is done, except for the tip top.  Bright shiny white with bright shiny guides (gasp!).  Blue shrink sleeve grips.  Wrapped in blue.  Cut the tip so that it needs an 18 tip top...ain't a noodle stick now.  26 mm graphite reel seat, which I now regret.  Should have used a chrome over brass seat.  Might change that seat this winter if I get too bored.  Just about ready for Erik's squidder which has new drag washers, a longer handle, and a jillion yards of 20# big game.  I know, I know.  Not like me at all.  Ya'll know I prefer black on black with cork tape grips and a souped up 6500.  But it has been fun.  Now if that tip top would just come in...

I suspect I'll fish it a time or two and then hang it on the wall.  This project really reminded me of two things:  Can't see and so darn shaky I can't hold a screwdriver in the head of a screw.  Age sucks but it beats the alternative.  So far...

Hey Steve, the tip top goes on first :p 

Social distanceing - I normally keep away from people with white rods :) 

See ya soon....... from a distance :howdy:

7 hours ago, SteveZ said:

I dunno...tough choice there CJ.  How 'bout java from 6 to 8 AM?  That'll leave plenty of time for both doncha think???

NO! :rav:

sounds like a schedule