NCLunkerFisher

Add a seal to ssv6500 pinion assembly from Clash 6000

16 posts in this topic

Heres my contribution to the world of penn tinkering. Ive been using it for some time now, with the new CNC main gear/pinion upgrade, and it adds even more confidence in this capable little reel.

If you compare the pinion ball bearing collar on the SSV6500 (part number 21B-SSV5500, 1277045) with part number 21B on the Clash 6000 (21B-CLA5000, 1339493), you'll notice that the clash part has a grooved ring that fits a rubber o-ring in that reel used to seal the pinion assembly. I ordered the bearing collar and the o-ring (21C-CLA5000, 1339497), and low and behold, a direct fit! I now have a much more sealed pinion assembly for a total of $1.85 + shipping.

Note: I did have to re-shim the main gear to make it perfectly smooth since I am a perfectionist. So if you have no idea what shimming is or how to go about it, this may be out of your league. Its easy though, and takes minutes once you get the hang of it.

Some further thoughts:

I bet one could replace the top bearing with a sealed bearing and have a fairly waterproof reel...

This would probably work on other sizes as well. Im going to sacrifice the few extra dollars and try it on my ssv3500. Ill report the results back.

Now i just have to figure out how to add a main shaft bearing under the spool to smooth out the drag and this reel will be complete in my mind..

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thank's for the post.

Sounds good to me.

Keep us posted.

Did you end up adding or subtracting shims?

I'm guessing you used thinner shims to makeup for the seals?

Did you measure the shims you used?

Edited by olvart

hey lunker, thks cool stuff.  isn't there a seal on the ssv bailess on the pinion assembly ? if so would it also fit i wonder ? 

I actually just did the same thing to my ssv4500 last week. The pinion bearing collar from the clash 4000 fit my ssv4500 without needing a shim. Also been tinkering for a while to make the 4500 brainless.

i hope penn starts adding these to their stock ssv's. seems like they would then be sealed to the extent of a spheros and a good bit cheaper. maybe it's not a coincidence that the clash seals work on the ssv

The collar that holds the bearing has a seal but there is still no seal on the pinion and that is the most vulnerable part. I've been trying to find some seal that will fit.

The ssv6500bls has a different mating surface for the pinion, and yes, it does have a seal there. I don't see why you couldn't use both.

To seal the shaft, I've been using an idea I got from someone else. A modified valve seal from a Honda engine that happens to fit the main shaft perfectly. It actually all works together quite perfectly. I'll take some pictures and post them up.

Some further thoughts:

I bet one could replace the top bearing with a sealed bearing and have a fairly waterproof reel...

This would probably work on other sizes as well. Im going to sacrifice the few extra dollars and try it on my ssv3500. Ill report the results back.

Now i just have to figure out how to add a main shaft bearing under the spool to smooth out the drag and this reel will be complete in my mind..

At the beginning of last season I replaced all 4 stock unsealed bearings and the line roller bearing in my SSV 6500 with Boca Bearings from their website.

Four SMR689C-2YS NB2 and the one line roller bearing with SMR95C-2YS NB2. No issues so far, its been great.

Edited by rid4m4j

You can contact Penn for those bearings. The rubber sealed bearings used in the Conflict line will fit similar size ssv reels. They are actually cheaper, but in my opinion much better than the shielded bearings that come in the ssv. They are a lot easier/quicker to open up and regrease for maintenance. I have no idea why they don't put those sealed bearings in all their spinners.

The ssv6500bls has a different mating surface for the pinion, and yes, it does have a seal there. I don't see why you couldn't use both.

To seal the shaft, I've been using an idea I got from someone else. A modified valve seal from a Honda engine that happens to fit the main shaft perfectly. It actually all works together quite perfectly. I'll take some pictures and post them up.

I'm glad you found it to work. would love to see your mod. 

Still waiting here for an update with pictures.