drumfish213

Surf fishing for fluke rod

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I am looking to purchase a rod for back bay and surf fishing, mainly for fluke. I have watched all of the John Skinner videos and ordered the books. In the videos he uses the Penn Regiment which is a bit out of my price range. Any suggestions on another rod that can throw 1/2- 1.5 oz bucktails and would pair well with a Penn 712z or 710 or  or a quantum cabo 40? I have looked at star, tsunami, and tica rods but there are still so many options it is hard to decide. Here are my main questions:

1. What action would be best? I believe the regiment is fast action so I am assuming I should look for that.

2. I am between a 7 and 8 foot rod (or 7'6" which some companies make). I already have a tsunami 5 star 7 foot MH rod rated 1/2-2. I like it for the kayak but it seems like it is not sensitive enough for bucktailing

3. I would like to stay at or below $100.

Here is what I have found so far. Some of the rods I could not find an action rating for so I am not sure if they meet the fast action criteria. 

Star Stellar Lite- Fast Taper

SG1020FT70 7’ ½ -1 ½oz Medium/Heavy (Fast) 10” butt

SG1220FT80 8’ ½ -1 ½oz Medium/Heavy (Fast) 11” butt

Star Stellar Surf

SG1020S76 7’6” ½- 1 1/2oz Medium 11” butt

SG801S 8’ ½- 3oz Medium 13” butt

Tica Dolphin-UGSA

UGSA80M1S 8’ ½-2oz Medium Fast

Tica UEHA

UEHA424401S 8’ ½-2oz Medium Mod. Fast

Tica Surge

UEHA424401S 8’ ½-2oz Med/Heavy Mod. Fast

Tsunami Trophy Surf Spinning

TSTSS-702M 7’ ½-2oz Medium

Tsunami Classic

TSCS-701M 8’ 3/8-2oz Medium

Tsunami Airwave Surf

TSAWSS-761M 7’6” ½-2oz Medium

Ugly Stik Tiger Lite

BWSL220069 6’9”’ 1/2-3oz Medium

I have been using Tsunami Airwave 9 foot in the surf, a little longer than you like. But still sensitive enough to feel a fluke bite, even the tiny 6-8 inches ones

Look for a steelhead rod in the 8 1/2 foot range. They work great in the surf, and they can usually be had pretty cheap. You should be able to get one well under a hundred clams.

Take a look at the mojo inshore 7'6 mh...you can find them used and you won't be disappointed..the tica dolphin is also a nice rod for the $$

Out of your list, this would be my choice:

Star Stellar Lite- Fast Taper

SG1020FT70 7’ ½ -1 ½oz Medium/Heavy (Fast) 10” butt

Don't go nuts with this.  Any 7' spinning rod that will handle say 1/2 to 1 1/2 oz will do nicely.  Shore caught fluke are 9 out of ten times caught wishing mere feet of the drop off at the surf line.

I was using a star stellar for a while and really liked it . Mine was 8' 3/4 to 2 . It was a little much for fluke but I usually start out pre dawn for stripers/ blues and then continue into flunking when I'm out .

Funny, I too was trying to get away with using my star stellar light as a fluke rod just for the versatility to be able to deal with bluefish that popped up and not have to carry a second rod. I just did not like the action on it at all for fluke jigging, way to stiff for me.

Last year I actually used my 9 ' Century slingshot and it was fun . That rod is nice and sensitve but still can turn a big fish so I knew I wouldn't be out gunned ,lol. This year I am going to use a 9 foot ODM and see how it goes .

I use a loomis salmon rod for fluke.

8'6 xtra fast action mag taper.

Basically a 20 lb rod that has a solid butt ending in a thin super sensitive tip. Casts anything it can load up a mile away and you feel everything with the strength to handle bass and blues. It's a frankenrod

Only downside is that it was pricey and so it has to be babied out there. Next time I'm gonna go with something similar made by lamiglas

Don't go nuts with this.  Any 7' spinning rod that will handle say 1/2 to 1 1/2 oz will do nicely.  Shore caught fluke are 9 out of ten times caught wishing mere feet of the drop off at the surf line.

Thanks. I am not so worried about casting distance. I am more concerned with being able to feel a strike and work the bucktail correctly. 

Thanks. I am not so worried about casting distance. I am more concerned with being able to feel a strike and work the bucktail correctly. 

What I mentioned earlier will do the job you are looking to do.  Strikes from fluke in the surf are pretty subtle and it's up to you to recognize them and all you need do to work the ducktail is slow retrieve with constant bouncing of the bucktail.  Once again, don't get caught up in all the hype of Century, Loomis etc.  I believe mine is a ten, or more, year old St Croix Avid 7' Medium Power, Fast Action spin rod with 10# test Sufix 832.  I can cast 50 to 60 feet and will out fish the majority of people out there.  KISS

FWIW, which is about .02 internet cents, I have found that my catch rate goes up the lighter, stiffer, and more sensitive  I go.    I mean this in terms of rod, reel, line, and lure.