Opening Day Sea Bass 5/21

6 hours ago, oceanAddict said:

I've got nothing to bring home past Sunday. Had one small bsb and couple "sea robin of shame" as someone called in kayak next to me.  I was using bucktails with curly tails and glass minnow teaser with swimming mullet, then switched to vertical metal jigs.  Guys not far from me were pulling fish constantly before I left and I think they were using some live bait, crabs or something. I tried to troll on my way to shore and got either schoolie or blues in 15' range but failed to bring it in.

I was there 2 weeks ago and almost had a similar experience, but I put in the time and got my limit at the end.

What I discovered (late) was: 1. I had much better luck slow trolling the Spro/Gulp combo instead of jigging. I even got a keeper fluke that way. 2. Instead of using the brand new Gulp mullet container, I pulled out the old stinky one from a few years back with used baits. It was like night and day. The new container had little/no smell, but the aged one was stinky and the fish liked it.

It took me close to 6 hours though and I went through every bucktail-teaser color combo imaginable. I think a lot of people are using squid strips with the bucktails as well.