Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Striperscot

Hudson fish GALORE !!

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Finally its time .Fished Sat and Sun for around 20 stripers to 30 pounds,all released.The river is loaded with fish with big herring and shad to 5-1/2 lbs !! A blast on light gear.Getting ready for next weekends Hudson river striped bass derby with a 25k truck as 1st prize.Ya never know ?? Most fish were taken on the drift using a F.F.rig,24"-20lb leader and live herring w/ a 3/0 siwash hook.One thing I noticed this weekend was that the herring seemed to stay alive much longer if hooked thru the back,just behind the head,rather than in the top of the mouth.Maybe its just me but anyone else found this to be the case ? Anyway you guys should make a trip up here as they are getting them from boat and shore alike !It,ll be like this for at least couple more weeks until they head down again.This is shapeing up to be a bumper year ,at least so far, so get em while they,re here.

Well, I guess it isn't difficult to get them, while they are funneled in the river and ready to spawn...

Glad you released yours, what about the other guys?

Shooting fish in a barrel, comes to mind..

Just my opinion...

Fishing for them in the river, while they are spawning should be off limits...

There is...if you want to have them for the future....

Again, just my opinion...

Yes, SS, even though you are landlocked, and can't get to the ocean, please do not molest, entice, or otherwise bother OUR fish. That is all.... Good day.

(Glad you enjoyed the day. Good luck next week).

Congratulations on the great run.

Unlike C&R, I am pleased to see your success in the Hudson. Those fisheries management guys may be ok after all, eh?

One question though - are you guys still concerned about PCBs? I am very concerned, even though I catch fish on the shore way south in Maryland.

"Well, I guess it isn't difficult to get them, while they are funneled in the river and ready to spawn..."

??????

Not really. Given the amount of fish in the river, there really is not much pressure. The amount of professional guides in the Hudson fishing stripers is tiny compared to Montauk.

Our season dosnt start untill july 1st for that reason,I dont mind because its a positive step for spawning bass.Anyone fishin this soon is a Stripernut and dosnt mind putting them back.All in all its a lot better than some of the bright ideas that fisheries has done in the past.

Thanks for the update,its good to hear someone is having fun.Its too cold/windy and the water is way too high and brown to fish here.It wont be long now though and its been too long of an off-season.

Hi to everyone,again! HappyWave.gif

I am extremely careful on how I handle these fish.They never leave the water and due to the heavier tackle I use ,they are brought in with the minimal amount of stress thus leaving them needing little or no resusitation upon release.You may say ,well where,s the sport ? Hey I don,t know about you guys but for me catchin is catchin and if I have great chance to hook into a fish of a lifetime right on my own doorstep then beleive me I,ll take it.And besides this fishery only lasts 5-6wks at best and then they,re gone for another year and I,m back to driving 3-3 1/2 hrs to the coast looking for em again ! Unlike those fortunate enough who live by the coast and have them nearly all year.So don,t be too jealous of us right now cause it don,t last long and pretty soon the jealousy will will be going the other way I,m sure.As far as the PCB issue goes ,well I could rant and rave all day about that and how G.E. has been screwing everyone around for decades, but I,ll leave that for another day.Suffice to say it is in everyone,s best interest to get them out of the river as expediently and safely as possible,and no,I don,t eat stripers or any fish out of the hudson.I think I,m going to try some shad though they seem to be the safest to eat although I,ve never tried them.

striperscot - First of all....

Where exactly on the Hudson did you fish wink.gifwink.gif

Now, about where you hook the herring while live ling. You said that when you hook them in the mouth they tend to die quicker. Did you hook them horizontally through the upper jaw or through the lower jaw and out the upper? If you did the latter, you are essentially stapling their mouth closed and preventing water from flushing over their gills which results in them drowning slowly.

[This message has been edited by Wayne Tj (edited 05-07-2002).]

Scot,

I too fish the Hudson though not as north as you (Edgewater, Englewood Cliffs & Alpine) mostly from shore or piers. I'm glad to hear the big ones are starting to get active by you, that means it won,t be long before they,ll be coming on down my way. I release them too, just love catching them and I don,t care if they,re in the ocean, bay or river or if it's the dead of night, high noon, fly rod, spinner, conventional or a bent pin tied on a stick. They are fun to catch and sometimes it's even more fun watching the looks on peoples faces when you let them go. Though I've never fished in a barrel as someone else suggested, I don't think I would find too much excitment in that, but whatever to each his own. I know your season up there is somewhat abbreviated up there, I just wanted to wish you well and have fun, in spite of other opinions you may hear. wink.gif

Tight lines,

Pete

Some of you guys can throw a wet blanket on any persons joy. I dont see you all bitching at the guys who fish the Flats in Maryland, or the guys that take tons of herring before they get in the lakes to spawn. Jeeze, let people enjoy themselfs.The guy had a great day, dont ruin his memories.

Striper scott, You sound like your having a kick and I am glad you are letting them go. I'm from the westcoast and still have problems figuring why you guys do certain things. My question is this, if your hooking twenty fish on bait and you plan on letting them go. Why fish just bait? Won't they hit plugs or jigs? A leadhead jig is an easy hook and release, while a larger plug usaully will only give them some face scars. Just wondering.

I think my buddy C&R may be back to approaching zealot status againfrown.gif Hey C&R, lighten up bud...you think the fish you are catching for a couple months now weren't on their way to spawn? cwm13.gif We went this route over a year ago and it ended up with you having to leave the board - lets not go that route again, please? It's ok to be passionate, it's ok to care a lot - but it's not ok to come down on people who are abiding by every law and regulation required of them.

We are a friendly peoplecwm12.gif

Nice catch SS, catch a bunch more, take some photos and show 'em aroundicon14.gif

TimS

Good for you Striperscot icon14.gif

Welcome back around MikeH HappyWave.gif

I just read the article you wrote in On The Water magazine. Very nice job. (I think it was you anyway).