Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SurfNbird

Night TIme fluking

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Anyone do it?

I've caught as many fluke as the next guy buck tailing the beaches and drifting but does anyone notice any difference in the quality or quantity of fluke at night? I know I've caight them with spearing and bunker at night but I'm not sure it warrants tryng to target them at night. Anyone have a different experience?

Surfin, I wasn't aware that there was a night fishing team for Fluke?  Do they come more inshore and shallower at night like Stripes often do?

Well that's what I'm asking also. I've noticed that some nightsf the fluke hit just as often as in the day. Just the other night I dropped a curly tail and it got slammed by a shortie before it even hit bottom

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yes Surfin,

And were there some who figured out night fluking, they would likely be pretty closed mouth about it. I would be. We are both doing a bit of "fishing" here.  Lol

Perhaps the ichthyologists would know to what degree Fluke are nocturnal.....Though I have found that fishers often know more about the behavior of species than the academics. 

Edited by Roof

Definetly worth targeting fluke at night, specifically in marinas and the shallows when the waters real warm in late summer. I've found big fluke move in shallow to feed at night.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ive fluked around dock lights and did okay at night. I'd like to try the glow in the dark gulp.

Ive done well with glow in the dark rubber for catfish. Ive caught fluke as by-catch at night. Never target them at night though.

In the south they bowfish for fluke in the rivers at night.

Edited by Scallywag

Ah, some more information.

I do know that some species of flounder are speared at night in the shallows, in various countries.  That implies some nocturnal behavior too.

I just remembered;  gill netting for Halibut used to be commercially popular. 

It was kind of horrible what with a horrendous by-catch often composed of birds, seals, porpoise....not to mention Stripers which are a non-commercial species in Ca.

However, those old fashioned gill-netters would have some idea about what they do at night. 

I have gotten into all out fluke blitzes at night.  Fish a cast type of fishing.  They were all 10-14".  They hit plugs, teasers and eels.  It happened 2 years in a row at the same place, wish they were keepers.