PENN Fishing

SSV upgraded CNC gear sets now available for purchase

90 posts in this topic

sending my 5500 in for the brass gears. I haven't had any issues at all but would like to use it for small bluefin and yellowfin and other hard fighters. 

I ordered a Clash and a Slammer 3 last night excited to see the new Penn Reels. If my geen 710's and 704's were more braid friendly I'd still be using them but it's time for me to move to the new stuff.

I sent my 4500 in for gear upgrade and diagnosis of why it is so hard to reel when under-load. Even a big lure is hard to reel in. Maybe the pinion BB? I included a note with above info.

If I'm happy with outcome, the 5500 is going in for gears after Thanksgiving.

I had mine done on my 4500 and at first was very pissed off with Penn because I could barely crank the reel when I got it back. Turns out the rotor nut was on way too tight. AGAIN- PENN quality check the reel before you send it back!!! but with that said, I loosened the nut and the reel is like freaking butter. Extremely smooth!

I had mine done on my 4500 and at first was very pissed off with Penn because I could barely crank the reel when I got it back. Turns out the rotor nut was on way too tight. AGAIN- PENN quality check the reel before you send it back!!! but with that said, I loosened the nut and the reel is like freaking butter. Extremely smooth!

Yes, I saw that earlier in the thread.  Going to give the upgrade a try. I like getting out in the waves when the NJ surf is warm, and this reel should be able to stand up to some splashing or light dunking with the seals. 

SOL,

The CNC machined gear sets are now available for purchase. A few ways to have them installed:

*Call our Customer Service line to purchase and install yourself. Part # is the 7 digit number next to the model.

Parts Customer Service

Monday thru Friday

8:00 A.M. - 5:30 P.M. EST

Phone: (800) 892-5444

SSV3500 1415298 - $55.40 + shipping & taxes (Machined aluminum gear, brass pinion)

SSV4500 1415298 - $55.40 + shipping & taxes (Machined aluminum gear, brass pinion)

SSV5500 1415301 - $63.75 + shipping & taxes (Machined aluminum gear, brass pinion)

SSV6500 1415315 - $63.75 + shipping & taxes (Machined brass gear, brass pinion)

SSV7500 1415304 - $74.15 + shipping & taxes (Machined brass gear, brass pinion)

SSV8500 1415304 - $74.15 + shipping & taxes (Machined brass gear, brass pinion)

SSV9500 1415307 - $74.15 + shipping & taxes (Machined brass gear, brass pinion)

SSV10500 1415307 - $74.15 + shipping & taxes (Machined brass gear, brass pinion)

The SSV5500 and SSV6500 gear sets are inter-changeable. What does this mean? If you have an SSV5500 reel you could purchase either the 5500 set with aluminum gear, or the 6500 set with the brass gear. Same if you have an SSV6500 reel, you could purchase either. No other models are inter-changeable.

*Order from one of our Preferred Parts Vendors, Scott's B&T and Fisherman's Headquarters both located in NJ. They will have them in stock in a few days. Contact and locations can be found here: http://www.pennfishing.com/PENN-parts.html

If you were to purchase the kit, it would come with Main drive gear, pinion gear, 2 shims. You would need to shim as needed and be careful not to damage any parts as this would not be covered under our Manufacturing Warranty.

*Send your reel in and we can install the gear set for you.

If you wish to send the reel in and are an SOL member we will perform the gear swap as follows:

$0.00 labor + cost of kit + return shipping and handling.

*This applies only if the reel is in good working order and does not need cleaning or other parts.

Non Members:

$10.00 labor + cost of kit + return shipping and handling.

*This applies only if reel is in good working order and does not need cleaning or other parts.

When sending the reel in please note you would like the CNC machined gear kit installed, and we also need your SOL Username.

Reels should be sent to:

Factory Service Department

PENN Fishing Tackle Mfg. Co.

3028 West Hunting Park Avenue

Philadelphia, PA 19132

(800) 892-5444

tony

Is Penn still offering this upgrade to SOL members?

Yes; sending mine in shortly.   You can PM the originator of this thread (Penn Fishing) for any questions, but you just need to send in the reel with your SOL nickname.  

Just got my upgraded SSV4500 back from Penn.  I'm in Philly burbs.  Mailed the reel last Monday and got it back yesterday (7 calendar day turnaround).  Super-fast service, and it turns great!  Thank you, Penn!