SSV upgraded CNC gear sets now available for purchase

PENN Fishing

update on mine- I took the reel out and used it for trolling a deep diver. When I went to retrieve the lure it felt like I was pulling in a hundred pounds.  When I got home I took the spool off and checked the nut that holds the rotor on and it was on way too tight. I loosend it and now it spins freely. I have not had a fish on yet so can't tell you if it skips or anything like that.

Back to the issue at hand, the rotor nut is supposed to be tight. There's something else not right here with this installation.

"Some people are immune to good advice." - Saul Goodman

Back to the issue at hand, the rotor nut is supposed to be tight. There's something else not right here with this installation.

I don't think we can say that without a doubt. You can easily over-crank a rotor nut and bind the reel up. As long as there is no play in the rotor it is tight enough (and held by a keeper at that tightness). I heard from Rob and he sounded pretty stoked on the result.

• 4 weeks later...

I could never see the reason for this excersize, it never made practical or economic sense at all.

An SSV with the CNC gear train is a serious reel and very capable with a powerful drag. Sometimes just giving people options is good customer service, not necessarily done as an uber money making proposition.

Y'know, you may have just dropped a thought or a hint as to where the SSV series will go, now that it appears about to be surpassed by the Slammer III and the Metalloid spinners in its' own price bracket.  The next iteration will come with the better gears straight from the factory.  If the SSV had HT100s, they'll be replaced by DuraDrag washers. Stick in a few extra seals and that's all Marketing Department would need for the ads.  Who knows? 

Edited by BrianBM

An SSV with the CNC gear train is a serious reel and very capable with a powerful drag. Sometimes just giving people options is good customer service, not necessarily done as an uber money making proposition.

John,

I love your stuff but consider this:

Street price SSV 6500 $ 130 Gear upgrade $ 64 Shipping $ 10 = $204

Street price Clash 6000 $ 170

You get a no hassle, lighter and probably just as water resistant reel.  I know the SSV has a potentially superior drag but if you know how to play a fish that doesn't  matter. That's what I meant.

John,

I love your stuff but consider this:

Street price SSV 6500 $ 130 Gear upgrade $ 64 Shipping $ 10 = $204

Street price Clash 6000 $ 170

You get a no hassle, lighter and probably just as water resistant reel.  I know the SSV has a potentially superior drag but if you know how to play a fish that doesn't  matter. That's what I meant.

Totally feel you there. Rather than buy the SSV plus the gears the Clash or the Slammer III for sure...but, if you have an SSV and want to extend it's life and extend its capability dramatically the gear updgrade makes for a very substantial reel.

An SSV with the CNC gear train is a serious reel and very capable with a powerful drag. 

hmm, just curious, now that my SSV4500 has the upgraded gears, does that change the drag capabilities in anyway? i.e. higher rated?

If a man has no plan for the future, any road will take him there. 

hmm, just curious, now that my SSV4500 has the upgraded gears, does that change the drag capabilities in anyway? i.e. higher rated?

Before you could say there was a mis-match between the strength of the drive train and the brilliant drag. With the brass gears and fishing heavy drag everything is now better balanced ie you can use an SSV for Tuna and Jacks with greater confidence.

They certainly have landed those fish before with the great drag. But heavier drag puts more strain on the whole drive train.

• 2 weeks later...

How long will the offer for sending in my reels to get the upgraded gears last?

I don't fish from Christmas until March 15th. My 4500 and 5500 both are showing signs of gear-wear (after 100's of fish each) but I would like to have them for use until I quit for the year.

Can Penn also do a "clean, search and replace" for me?

• 3 weeks later...

So there is no  "gear upgrade" currently available for the SSV4500 Live Liner correct?

Edited by 9wait

"Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it...." - Harry Middleton