PENN Fishing

SSV upgraded CNC gear sets now available for purchase

90 posts in this topic

Well when i opened the box and tightened the handle to spin the reel it felt like thw reel was seized. It is very hard to turn. You can spin the reel as fast as you can and as soon as you let the handle go the spools stops dead.

To me the reel is worse now. I can not believe they would even ship it to me like this.

Oh, that's not good.  I was going to send mine in for the gear upgrade but decided to hold off after reading this.  Was this resolved?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I hope they over shimmed it and it isn't the gears themselves. Either way I'm suprised they let you have it back like that. They may have done a courtesy service on it and packed the bearings full of grease, that would make it feel a little stiff as well. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Edited by Islander80

Well when i opened the box and tightened the handle to spin the reel it felt like thw reel was seized. It is very hard to turn. You can spin the reel as fast as you can and as soon as you let the handle go the spools stops dead.

To me the reel is worse now. I can not believe they would even ship it to me like this.

Rob,

I am sorry that you are unhappy with the service.  The Technician that did the work on your reel gave it full inspection before it shipped.  Sometimes we go a little grease crazy and put too much in the gearbox causing a sluggish feeling, or something may have gotten damaged during shipping.  Either was we would like a chance to make it right.  Shoot me PM with your email address, we will send out a prepaid UPS label to have the reel returned to us so you don't have any shipping charges.

tony

when will the upgrades be available for LL? I have a 8500 LL I would like to replace gears in.

7 Rivers,

Currently there are no plans to offer CNC gears to the LL series.

tony

update on mine- I took the reel out and used it for trolling a deep diver. When I went to retrieve the lure it felt like I was pulling in a hundred pounds.  When I got home I took the spool off and checked the nut that holds the rotor on and it was on way too tight. I loosend it and now it spins freely. I have not had a fish on yet so can't tell you if it skips or anything like that.

Funny none of the problems are in your ebay listing for the reel.

because it was a rotor nut installed too tightly. once I realized that the and fixed it the reel is fine. Or is that not good enough for you? I did not realize that the ebay police was here. Is there anything else you want me to add to the listing?

As a matter of fact- even though I bashed the hell out of Penn for the way the reel came back to me, which is totally unacceptable, I still came back on here and gave an update that it was actually something simple.  The only reason I am selling it now is that I bought a Van Staal reel and am selling all my reels that I don't want sitting around.  Wow- get a life dude!

As a matter of fact- even though I bashed the hell out of Penn for the way the reel came back to me, which is totally unacceptable, I still came back on here and gave an update that it was actually something simple. The only reason I am selling it now is that I bought a Van Staal reel and am selling all my reels that I don't want sitting around. Wow- get a life dude!

You said it felt like reeling in hundred pounds it was cranked down so tight. And you fished it like that. I would think you would have it checked before listing as mint barely used. But that's just me. I'm out its on you.

You said it felt like reeling in hundred pounds it was cranked down so tight. And you fished it like that. I would think you would have it checked before listing as mint barely used. But that's just me. I'm out its on you.

I think you are mistaken my reel with another. I never said MINT or BARELY USED in my add regarding the Spinfisher V4500. 

Also- I listed the reel AFTER i figured out the nut was on too tight. 

Edited by robmedina