Riverjamie

Need Feedback on Abel SF9010-3 10wt Fly Rod

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Curious if any of you also have this Fly rod?  I purchased years ago and have used it only for fishing in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico for Marlin, Dorado, and Roosters.

I've had 3 Marlin on it, but never landed one.  But had a great time.  Caught 5-8 Dorado biggest 30lb nice fish and a few Roosters from the beach.   

On the boats not really much of a need to cast very far.  But I've been trying to do a little more casting from the beach which can be challenging at times do to the high surf on the main beach in front of Villa Del Palmar, Del Arco, or Rui. 

My question is this.  I have JimTenny Sink tip line TS-350 ( 30ft sink tip, 70ft floating, Sink rate 7.0 ips) on the reel so I can get the flies down. I JUST THROUGH OUT THE LINE BECAUSE IT WAS TO OLD WHICH DIDN'T HELP.  SO OPEN TO NEW IDEAS ON TYPE OF LINE AND WT.   But it seems always very difficult to get much distance.  I'm not the greatest caster so that doesn't help.  I'm just curious does anyone else also have this rod and what has been your experience with it casting from the beach?   What brand and type of line are you using?  How does it cast for you?

Thanks

Years ago I had this rod. From what I remember, it was more of a fish fighting tool than a casting tool. I never used it from shore, but from a boat I loaded it w/ a 450 gr (Teeny Type) sinking line.  I used it offshore when the Dorado showed up in the spread. It did its job!

I think you may be under gunned for marlin, or even large Pacific Sails with it.

Thanks Bill. That might be the reason casting is difficult. I also sent an email to Abel of I don't think they would admit the rod may not cast very well.

Curious to see what other feedback comes in.

Yes Brian as I said I'm not the best caster, but when I use some of my other rods 6 wt and 8 wt Sage low end rods I seem to be able to cast much further?

Bill seemed to think it was a better fighting rod.  

As I said before I've had 3 Marlin on this rod.  Obviously it's way under rated for that.  I played one for 1.5 hrs needless to say my arm was shot.  But the rod held up very well.   Unfortunately it finally broke off.  

I have used an Abel rod years ago-  I'm pretty sure they were made by GraphiteUSA  and were "fast action"....  in other words, they cast like a log.  overlining is a good place to start- 

go to an 11weight line to start-  a type3 intermediate would be my suggestion if you're fishing water from 5-15feet in depth

Even a very very stiff rod can be made to cast a good distance. Whilst most of us like to feel rods to bend and to feel them load this is not necessary to be able to cast them quite a long way. Rods hugely underlined can also be made to cast the fly line good distances.

So  the main input is the Caster and the biggest influence of performance. 

Mike

I got that rod from a guy how had planed on fishing it off a boat for marlin or sail fish as well.  It has sat untouched in my room for a few years.  All I've been able to get from others is that it has the action of a broom stick!  That being said, I recently took it out and tried casting with a clear I line and I did well 60' +-  hauling the hell out of it.  It was a work out for sure.  I plan on rigging it with some a Leviathan shooting head and one day going rock fishing with it from a kayak or if I make it to some warm salt some of the more exotics. 

J. Ice

I've never cast the rod - years ago I asked a couple of Keys guides if they had any experience with it and they mirror the comments here - feels like a broomstick.