Travel Rod Suggestion..

Rate this topic

Leatherface

Hey guys. Heading down to Fla. and looking to bring a rod with me. I guess an 8' medium action would do the trick. Going to fish back bays and possibly and inlet. I already have a Cabo 40 to throw on it. I am not looking to spend over $100. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Former LIBBA #1818

Two great options: 1) St Croix Tidemaster or Premier Travel 7'6" or 2) Okuma Citrix 7'11"

I have the Tidemaster and it has pulled in a lot of fish up to 20-25 lbs with no issues. Used it in FL without any issues. Price is a little high, but there are all over used.

The Okuma I just saw on TD the other day for a super sale. Never used it, but I am sure the 1-5 is overrated for weights and would very well. Plus, it is 4 piece so the tube is shorter than the others and would be better for carry on.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. -Thoreau

Cabelas Salt strikers travel rods top out at 7'6". They can be had on sale for under $100. Fantastic rods for the $ and for the warranty. The 7 comes in 3 actions but the 7'6" I believe there is only one. No 8's unfortunately.

Hey big guy hope you and yours are well.   Is it out of the question to maybe purchase a two piece rod in a Florida tackle store and then just break it down and bring it home?

The prices down there might be better than up here.   See ..I can get "off topic" on virtually any topic.  Have fun down there...don't you ever work? :)

Hey big guy hope you and yours are well.   Is it out of the question to maybe purchase a two piece rod in a Florida tackle store and then just break it down and bring it home?

The prices down there might be better than up here.   See ..I can get "off topic" on virtually any topic.  Have fun down there...don't you ever work? :)

Hey Jay.. I am probably going to just buy it online anyway. It's much easier for me to shop around online for something like that and have it shipped to my house. I already have a travel boat rod, so I will have all bases covered for this trip. It will be a mix of business and pleasure, as we are looking for an area to semi-retire. This trip will be the West Palm/Melbourne/Jupiter area..

Yes, you are the king of derailing a thread, but this time you kind of walked the line, so I'll let you slide. :howdy:

Classes ended this week, so I will be getting my gear in order and hitting the beaches!

Hope all  is well!

Former LIBBA #1818

Two great options: 1) St Croix Tidemaster or Premier Travel 7'6" or 2) Okuma Citrix 7'11"

I have the Tidemaster and it has pulled in a lot of fish up to 20-25 lbs with no issues. Used it in FL without any issues. Price is a little high, but there are all over used.

The Okuma I just saw on TD the other day for a super sale. Never used it, but I am sure the 1-5 is overrated for weights and would very well. Plus, it is 4 piece so the tube is shorter than the others and would be better for carry on.

Just wanted to let you know that the Okuma Nomads are terrific travel rods, but they are actually 3 piece rods.  The come with a fourth piece, which is a different action tip section so you can have either a fast or more moderate action to the rod.  Pretty cool concept.  They come in 6'6" and 7'.  They are over $100 however....

http://www.tackledirect.com/okuma-nomad-travel-rods.html

Edited by fmtuna

Just wanted to let you know that the Okuma Nomads are terrific travel rods, but they are actually 3 piece rods.  The come with a fourth piece, which is a different action tip section so you can have either a fast or more moderate action to the rod.  Pretty cool concept.  They come in 6'6" and 7'.  They are over $100 however....

http://www.tackledirect.com/okuma-nomad-travel-rods.html

I was referencing the new citrix they made. I have heard good things about both though.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. -Thoreau

I was referencing the new citrix they made. I have heard good things about both though.

My bad!  I am so used to thinking travel & Nomad in the same sentence, this blew right past me.  Wish I could add in some "hand on" with the Citrix but in all honesty, I have not laid hands on one.... yet.  looks great on paper....

Edited by fmtuna