Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roof

Tackle Storage and Organization

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

​A general question: 

How do you store your tackle? Do you have those great matched sets of soft bags, carefully organized bins, or are you more like me: boxes of various sizes that aren't "tackle boxes"  Surplus military containers, old power tool boxes, and the standby favorite; the cardboard box.

For as long as I've been fishing, I don't have that much tackle and it's only fly, surf and boat casting, but it's scattered far and wide, from office to shed to garage.  And it is of wide chronological vintage.  Some of the stuff was old 50 years ago. So, I am looking for advice from others so afflicted.

​Thanks     Roof

I used to try to separate lures, hooks, tackle, etc., by type but I found it more practical to separate according to use and have a separate common source for replacement. Hence, ...

2 FW bags, one each for walleye/perch/pan fish and bass and a vest with general items (clipper, hemostat, bug spray, license)

3 SW bags, one each for kayak, boat striper and fluke and a PFD and hip sack each with general items

1 tackle box and one bag for beach

1 tackle bag with hardware

3 storage bins with separated new tackle items - duplicates and spares and other stuff I shouldn't have bought

Rod racks

There were times in my life when I lived in smaller spaces than what my stuff takes up... and I feel like I could use more.

Thanks Hook,

I use your technique of separation by use a bit.  And fly tackle is pretty easy because it's smaller and no sinkers or so many various leaders, snaps, rings etc. Then there is tackle making, fly tying, lead molds, rubbery stuff, etc.

I have just grown unorganized, which is bad.  They say an average 7 years of our lives are used looking for misplaced articles: 4 minutes looking for car keys; 20 minutes looking for a special saw blade you know you have somewhere, reading glasses are the worst, especially when you have different magnifications for different things...it all adds up.  I feel like I am already up to about 10.  All my own fault of course!

I think Spring Cleaning will start with tackle.  Thanks again

I buy 3700 boxes. So every time I go to the store I buy one or two. I now have about 15 boxes that organize my stuff. I grab the boxes I need depending on what type of fishing and off I go. Real simple.

Posted (edited) · Report post

For saltwater i decided to go with a chest. Even though a bit pricey i feel like it's worth every penny. Quality materials and craftsmanship. For fresh i dont have as much stuff so it fits in just one bag.

post-57313-0-18776300-1462688651_thumb.jpeg

post-57313-0-70627500-1462688679_thumb.jpeg

post-57313-0-06429500-1462688714_thumb.jpeg

Edited by SurfNY

I buy 3700 boxes. So every time I go to the store I buy one or two. I now have about 15 boxes that organize my stuff. I grab the boxes I need depending on what type of fishing and off I go. Real simple.

I am the same. Recently I bought a "specialized" bag from a major outdoor retailer to hold a large number of 3700s along with tools, spools of line, bags of gulp etc. works great!

I put 3600 boxes into the big army surplus ammo cans for 20MM rounds.

Since the 3600 boxes don't take up the whole length of the can, I make 3/8" plywood boxes to hold reels and various stuff... they stack at the end. Plus I have a shimano bag that holds 3600 boxes and a lot of misc stuff like rolls of leader material... duct tape...spare batteries.... filet kmife. Everything I need on a daily or nightly basis is in the top wood box in the can. I now have two cans plus the shimano bag full. BTW... 3700 boxes don't fit well into these cans.

post-30674-0-52883100-1462707687_thumb.jpg

post-30674-0-99311900-1462707745_thumb.jpg

post-30674-0-50509100-1462707777_thumb.jpg

post-30674-0-24666400-1462707804_thumb.jpg

post-30674-0-38194000-1462707832_thumb.jpg

post-30674-0-56579800-1462707864_thumb.jpg

Edited by blackdogfish

Joe AC2RE, on 08 May 2016 - 12:38 AM, said:

Me too and I stick them in a plastic tote. put the tote in the truck and load the bag accordingly.

For saltwater i decided to go with a chest. Even though a bit pricey i feel like it's worth every penny. Quality materials and craftsmanship. For fresh i dont have as much stuff so it fits in just one bag.

SurfNY, where did you get that chest from and for how much ? That looks like something I could use !

I have the large bass pro offshore angler soft bag. It's cheap, you can find them on sale, and most importantly the zipper is plastic and pretty durable so it won't rust. I store everything in the regular plano style boxes or the deep regular size for bigger plugs. I keep swivels/accessories/lines/etc in a binder that has plastic ziplock bags. I keep tools in one of those zippered tool pouches. That way its easy to swap out anything you need and its organized. I also have big bins in basement with one being for fly, another for inshore, and another for offshore. In theory it all works but by end of season my basement looks like a bomb went off anyways haha.....

Edited by mitchman

On 5/8/2016 at 2:22 AM, SurfNY said:

post-57313-0-18776300-1462688651_thumb.jpeg

post-57313-0-70627500-1462688679_thumb.jpeg

post-57313-0-06429500-1462688714_thumb.jpeg

I know it’s an old post, but who makes that ? 

3 hours ago, BearAssHippo said:

I know it’s an old post, but who makes that ? 

It appears to be a Lakewood Products musky/pike tackle box…