Jay in the Bay

Fishing hacks... what do you do/use?

Rate this topic

96 posts in this topic

What kind of hacks or tricks does everyone use for their fishing equipment?

For example, I use a zip tie with a loop on the end zipped to the bottom half of my reel seat, and attach my hook on it as opposed to a guide to avoid damage to the guide or scratching the rod w the hook.

I also saw someone use foam pool noodles to hang rods in their garage.

Great topic. I use a small wire tie with a split ring for hooking my breakaway to the rod.. I find the ring makes an easier way to clip in and secure the line. I seldom leave my lures secured.i may try using a breakaway and wire tie

Instead of pool noodles i use foam pioe insulation and use wire ties to secure it.

Grey, pre-split & cheapah. I also put it on my ine piece lammy to protect the guides while in the bed of the truck

Interesting... I have disliked clipping to the guide foot as well. I like this idea. I may use a ss hook for this... say a 4 or 2. Then you can hang a Tax clip without actually clipping the tac clip in the usual fashion. File the point so it's completely blunt.

On my rods that don't already have one, I also use a small zip tie & ring for a hook keeper, simple and effective. A few of my rods already have some sort of marking at 28" incorporated by threads, those that don't are marked by a piece of waterproof sports tape. I use a small soft cooler bag for eels. It has a velcro flip-top, as opposed to a zipper that can be frustrating to get open at night balancing on a rock. And no zipper to rust. It has a shoulder strap and added carabiners to attach to my belt, I like it much better than a traditional mesh bag. I also like to throw an ice pack in it, to keep the snakes subdued. Not very durable though, and I usually have to replace it every season( carabiners eventually rip through), cheap enough not to matter though. I'm sure there's more, these are just off the top of my head.

To prevent my rod from being pulled into the water and losing it while dead sticking when i'm not paying attention to it, I don't tie my line to the spool , I tape it. It has never happen to me yet!!! 

So sytheteacher.........you confirm the fact dead sticking is not fishing.....it is watching........or even further removed as in you example not watching............maybe a bell or a fishing mate to say Heh.....

So sytheteacher.........you confirm the fact dead sticking is not fishing.....it is watching........or even further removed as in you example not watching............maybe a bell or a fishing mate to say Heh.....

It's the socializing while fishing that's distracting......Thanks for the bell suggestion..... 

You leave your iPhone camera pointing at the rod... go home and monitor it on your laptop.

You leave your iPhone camera pointing at the rod... go home and monitor it on your laptop.

Will try this technique next weekend.. Thanks for the advice. 

Not going to lie...I'd watch a live feed of this. That's some edge of your seat excitement right there

After positioning and locking your reel on rod's reel seat put a few wraps of electrical tape on the thread in back of reel seat nut. That way the nut will never loosen up. I have been using this trick for years and the reel always stays locked in place.

post-25437-0-64145600-1461587466_thumb.jpeg

Edited by VanStaalSteve