Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

More Computer Help

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Sorry if this topic is getting old, but....

before I get out the SLEDGEHAMMER.....cwm23.gif

Among my other problems, I got a computer from my mother. Hooked it up, everything was fine except web connection.....after a few hours on the phone wtih ATT yesterday, it was determined that it could be my modem (brand new, and obviously not that, since after hooking it up to the old computer, I'm posting this) or it could be the Ethernet Card.

So.......after talking to my Brother-in-law, I decided that, as he told me, to pull the Ethernet card and put it back in just to make sure it was properly seated. Did that, and now the computer won't boot completely. I get the initial memeory check, then it goes to the Windows 98 banner, I suppose Windows is checkeing hardware (so far, so good)......but it gets stuck there. When it did work the other day, it would go back to a DOS type screen, checked more stuff, and then went back to the Windows banner, and then would be all set.

I was then advised by someone from Broadband to pull out the card completely, reboot with out it, follow directions for the missing hardware (basically say okay), get it up and running, then shut down. Then reboot without the card, make sure everything is working, shut down, replace the card, reboot, and follow the re-install directions.

So, I took out the card, rebooted, and it's still stuck on the first windows banner as above.....

So before I say "Where is my maul?????"....cwm23.gif

Reboot with the windows 98 floppy and try reinstalling Windows. This should help ya out. That or format the machine and start from scratch....frown.gif

good luck.

That was my thought, but since the computer is from my mother, all I have is a copied "start up disk", and I'll tell ya, that was really no help at all......but thanks any way. smile.gif

I really think it's a hardware detection problem.....but what do I know......this support stuff....give me AutoCad and I can draw your house or your car.....give me Excel and I'll write you an awesome spreadsheet, give me SAP and I'll control your inventory and your production data.....but this......LOST!!!!!!!!

Sound like a hardward IRQ problem. There may be multiple devices (ethernet cards) configured, even though you only have 1. This can happen when you shut down and remove cards, and put them back in a different slot without having first removed it from winders using the System configuration utility. Have I lost you yetwink.gif

Try booting the computer in safe mode (press and hold the F8(?) after the memory check and before the winders banner page. When the machine comes up (do this with your ethernet card and modem installed). Then go to My Computer -> Control Panel -> System -> Device Tab.

You want to chech that you don't have multiple devices, such as modem, ethernet card, etc. If you do, delete all of them for that device. When your done, shutdown winders and restart the computer. Make sure you have your winders CD handy when it asks you to install the device drivers for the items deleted. Even if you don't have multiple devices, delete your modem and ethernet card and follow the above procedure.

If this doesn't work, don't PM or email me because I don't know what I am talking aboutwink.gif

Thanks, Wayne, I just got the same advice from someone else.....I gotta run out for a bit, but will try it when I get back....

e-mail you? If I could do that, I wouldn't be in this pickle in the first place.....wink.gif

Oh.....it's a long story....icon15.gif

Okay, making progress. It seems a line in the config.sys file is causing the problem. When I disable it in the system configuration utility, everything starts up okay. The line is:

DEVICE=C:\\WINDOWS\\TWAIN\\ARTEC\\AS80DOS.S YS /D /B=280 /NSCSIART$

Any idea what that does, do I need it, or how I fix it?

Thanks.

DEVICE=C:\\WINDOWS\\TWAIN\\ARTEC\\AS80DOS.SYS /D /B=280 /NSCSIART$

Steve... that's a config entry for a Artec scanner. Do you have a scanner, or did your brother?

If you don't, you can either delete the line from your config file, or make it non-executable by placing REM followed by a space at the beginnng of that line.

If you do have a scanner, first check under START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM/DEVICE MANAGER to see if there's a yellow '!' next to the scanner device -- meaning there's an installation problem). If you have the maker's installation disk, first delete the scanner under Device Manager, then try rerunning the setup program for the scanner.

Good luck... Ron