faithless

Anyone use a Daiwa Tatula 200 HD?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I don't recommend it for saltwater. I have one that lasted about 7 weeks even after misting it after every use. I also have the Zillion HD and this reel is holding up a lot better.

it has saltproof bearings but not everything about the reel is salt proof.  Its made for the froggers who like to use 80 lb braid and have a bigger handle for more torque.  I use mine for fluke and albies, but its better in the FW.

I used the Lexa 100 and 300. Both engaged during hard casts. Never had an issue with other brands.

Yea, this is a mystery to me as I have not heard of that being an issue.

Are you specifically looking for a 200 sized reel?

Not really. Look up a few reviews online or on youtube. I tried 3 100s and 2 300s. All did the same. 1 out of 100 casts would engage the reel unless your thumb is on the button holding it down during the cast which really doesn't give you the best control of the spool. I am talking hard casts or even snapping the reel with your wrist not mounted on a rod. When the handle is at a specific angle it will do it 100% of the time while snapping your wrist. Thought I was going crazy tried it with all of my Abus and Shimanos and they didn't do it. Wife though I was crazy that night!

Not looking for anything specific size wise but smaller better. Needs to manage 20lb braid well and have external brake adjustment which means magnetic braking.

My lexa 300 has engaged on the cast a few times. I attribute it to the (power) handle being at the wrong angle. I bought a lexa 100 off of faithless on the bst and haven't had any problems with that issue but have only fished low hours on that reel.

Sounds like I have something to look forward to

Not really. Look up a few reviews online or on youtube. I tried 3 100s and 2 300s. All did the same. 1 out of 100 casts would engage the reel unless your thumb is on the button holding it down during the cast which really doesn't give you the best control of the spool. I am talking hard casts or even snapping the reel with your wrist not mounted on a rod. When the handle is at a specific angle it will do it 100% of the time while snapping your wrist. Thought I was going crazy tried it with all of my Abus and Shimanos and they didn't do it. Wife though I was crazy that night!

Not looking for anything specific size wise but smaller better. Needs to manage 20lb braid well and have external brake adjustment which means magnetic braking.

I wish I could help but just aren't certain I could steer you the right way...When I cast I naturally leave my thumb on the bar and (may) unconsciously leave the handle in a different spot than you and never have trouble.

Really looking forward to trying an Aird Coastal for light tackle stuff (Daiwa) but have always enjoyed the Revo Inshore...just don't know if that will solve things for you.

Its a beast of a little reel.  The TWing is amazing.  It makes a huge difference in distance and backlash.  It also takes full advantage of the magged spool control.

On 4/23/2016 at 6:27 AM, Shipwreck said:

Its a beast of a little reel.  The TWing is amazing.  It makes a huge difference in distance and backlash.  It also takes full advantage of the magged spool control.

How does this reel hold up in the salt? I just picked up a new one for fluking in the bays from shore and boat. Will this reel be ok?

It will be ok if you SOAK it for 20 sec in cool water after each use (dont spray)

Its not made specifically for salt, but its got CR stuff in the right areas.  Just take care of it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

It will be ok if you SOAK it for 20 sec in cool water after each use (dont spray)

Its not made specifically for salt, but its got CR stuff in the right areas.  Just take care of it.

Ship, are you suggesting submerging the reel in a tub of fresh water? 

I generally run a gentle stream of tapwater over every inch of my low profiles after use in salt (drag locked down), then vigorously shake out the water with spool/sideplate taken off and air dry...but I am all ears for better methods. I know many people say just wipe down the exterior of the reel, but I know saltwater has worked in past the thumbar and in many cases the spool shaft. 

Edited by buddha162