Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sergio

Any falconer in this surf fishing forum?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Man! you run the gamut with outdoor activities, don't you? That is a very dedicated type of sport. Wish I could indulge.

I believe there is a New York State Falconry Association; they may have a web site. If not, I'll bet there are a couple in the United Kingdom.

I had a huge interest in this as a boy, and my parents were generous with books on anything that interested me, but never did practice it. What are you flying?

I live in Mass, but searched Google for some suggestions and places to begin; maybe you can find a good link from here:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/17272/97044

http://massbird.org/links/index.htm#Checklists many links to hawks and hopefully, links to falcons.

Looks promosing:

http://www.nhaudubon.org/research/pinfo.htm (be patient was slow loading)

I've seen falconeers at various shows in Mass; fascinating sport and very demanding.

Sergio, this is a crazy question, but I have always wondered: Do you think it would be possible to train an osprey or Peregrine falcon to spot tarpon, bone fish and permit on the flats? I know that a falconer must be licensed etc. so this is not a practical question, but I was wondering if it would be possible.

Sergio: You are a true Renaissance man. Highly technical fishing, falconry, photography clearly -what are your other interests? You need to write a book about your exploits.

I am getting back into falconry because of my 10 year old son Sergio Jr. More than my son he is more like my clone! Same interests at the same age and he has already read all my falconry books. I will most probably get a hen and tiercel of Harris hawks. These birds are very nice and easy to handle and I will also try to breed them. I have been in touch for some time with a person that is very succesful at breeding Harris hawks.

Theres is a lot of space at my shrimp farm and if my team of biologists can take care of the shrimp I am sure that they can take care of a pair of hawks during the breeding season smile.gif . During the hunting season I will bring them down to Mazatlan to terrorize the rabbit population wink.gif .

I am at this time building a chamber for the couple of hawks and going through a lot of red tape to be able to own them.

I will keep you updated and send you a photograph of the pair as soon as can.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Sergio

Scott... Both of them already have a name. Sergio Jr named his SAETA and I named mine CUAUHTLI-CIHUATL.

Jay... They will not eat shrimp. they will protect shrimp from ugly black birds wink.gif

I am not so sure about that Osprey spotter training. It maybe easier to train a parrot to do that smile.gif

Best wishes to all.

Sergio

Sergio, good luck with the hawks. I would like to see them take one of those black pheasants out of the tree tops. That would be exciting. On about 4 or 5 different ocassions over the years I have had Ospreys come very close to a successful attempt at grabbing on of my pikies. Mike