If Congress Passes a law ... (immigration debate)

Rate this topic

NS Mike D

If congress passes a law making an action illegal,    but does not provide the executive branch the means to enforce the law,   does the executive branch have the right to defer enforcing that law?

That appears to be the crux of the argument being presented in the SCOTUS hearing on Texas's challenge to the Obama executive orders on considering illegals "legally present" .

"... let it go - lets move forward."

If congress passes a law making an action illegal,    but does not provide the executive branch the means to enforce the law,   does the executive branch have the right to defer enforcing that law?

That appears to be the crux of the argument being presented in the SCOTUS hearing on Texas's challenge to the Obama executive orders on considering illegals "legally present" .

Interesting case.  Although every time I hear about the executive branch not having the power or means to do something, I laugh.

Interesting case.  Although every time I hear about the executive branch not having the power or means to do something, I laugh.

I know before Obama and possible before Bush, the SCOTUS ruled that the courts could not hold them in custody since they lacked the resources for swift trials.

This , I think,  is the the crux of the defense of the Obama executive orders.     They are not being pardon, they are just being treated as legally present for now-     since a new POTUS or even Obama himself can rescind the order.

"... let it go - lets move forward."

Sounds like spin.

There are 2 ways to handle illegal immigrants at the border

Deportation notices which they will never show up for.( catch and release)

And forced removals - immediate transportation back to their home country.

That's at the border. Obama directed agents to keep them here and hand them deportation letters for a hearing ( catch and release)

That's how he goes about bragging about increased deportations while at the same time increasing the population of illegals.

VISA over stays are a little different.

Anyway this sounds all too convenient for the democrats to claim they are underfunded to take on national priorities,

I know before Obama and possible before Bush, the SCOTUS ruled that the courts could not hold them in custody since they lacked the resources for swift trials.

This , I think,  is the the crux of the defense of the Obama executive orders.     They are not being pardon, they are just being treated as legally present for now-     since a new POTUS or even Obama himself can rescind the order.

It may be above my head, but the phrase "legally present" used when talking about illegal aliens seem rather absurd.  I think I see where Texas might be going with this.  I think some of the states are fed up with executive orders of any kind.

Edited by MikeMunn

We take in over a Trillion dollars in tax receits a year.

The excuse we have no money is bogus. All we have is money.

If you told me that the government would rather house, feed, and care for the illegals instead of turning them around and swimming them back across the river, I would buy that.

Not agree woth the premise, but it is clear that is what is happening.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

We take in over a Trillion dollars in tax receits a year.

The excuse we have no money is bogus. All we have is money.

If you told me that the government would rather house, feed, and care for the illegals instead of turning them around and swimming them back across the river, I would buy that.

Not agree woth the premise, but it is clear that is what is happening.

THIS^^^^  

Guys, it REALLY is this simple.  Just turn jose' around when you make contact with him.  

Stop the freebies and bennies and they won't come.  Hammer folks who employ them.  

If you put out a welcome mat don't act "all surprised" when Jose' and his family show up at your invitation.  

Yes.

The executive branch has the power  of prosecutorial discretion.

When deciding whether  to execute a federal statute of not, the relevant executive  agency may exercise its power of prosecutorial discretion based upon available resources.

"Who is John Galt?"
Who?
You?