Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Where was this photo taken?

What time of year?

What is the angler "working" and why?

What can be learned from this image?

golden.jpg

Clues:

If you have seen any of my videos, this is a featured destination and I discuss key elements to early morning fishing.

Good luck

Well, I'll go out on a limb with this one. Since you mention "on Golden Pond", I'll venture that it's Squam lake in Holderness, NH. There seems to be a wake across the surface, so it has to be a topwater of some type, perhaps a buzz bait, jitterbug, etc. The water is ice-free and very calm, which would be atypical of early spring or late fall. Smallies frequent shallow flats under low light conditions, so perhaps the angler is wading around searching for them. Ok, how did I do? Watch, it will turn out that he's bonefishing in Belize in January... wink.gif

I would say probably striping a 10 wt. fly rod with a herring pattern on Minempsha(sp) Pond MV, and as the picture demonstartes, early morning is the time, end of May, begining of June.

Mike Lang

[This message has been edited by Mike Lang (edited 03-09-2001).]

Hard to tell with the glare on the water but that water looks like its running. He seems to be standing on the edge of a current slick indicating a channel or tongue of faster moving water. The disturbance to his right seems to be more than a flyline or lure would make. Maybe a seam caused by some underwater structure. But I could be seeing a whole lot more than what's there.

Oh, Oh Mr. Cotter, Mr. Cotter!!

I'd say Menemsha Pond too. May Herring Run working a big herring fly. What can we learn?- fish early or late in the day, point your fly rod at the fly, dress warm, etc. My big question is where are all the people? Hey Fish Eye, you guys were doing a job on good size fish. Where were the other fisherman? Also, what kind of permit did those guys have to pull a big seine across the mouth of the herring run? We they tied into the Native allotment? Thanks for any 411.

When the sun is low in the sky right after it rises, use lures with at least a flash of yellow down the flanks. If you ever wondered why yellow plugs work so well on the breaking fish in the Canal, it's because herring and pogies will reflect that golden sheen down their scales biggrin.gif

I have another killer color whena certain species of bait is getting ate at dawn, but the Hawg Man will kill me if I give it up.

lg_smile.gif

That's one of the ponds Up-Island, I would guess, maybe Squibnocket. The guys seining the herring were probably Wampanoags who have tribal rights to do so.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 03-09-2001).]

Could be the inside of lake tashmoo looking back into the pond from either side of the inlet.That's right where the sun pops up over the trees if your there where that guy is in the morning.Could be inside menemsha pond way in the back but I don't think so the background doesn't look right.I've never seen it when it was light out though.

I would say Menemsha pond, MV - Spring/dawn

He's working a herring fly because the herring are present.

It is effective to cast perpendicular to the rising sun but only on the second Tuesday in May when the water temp. is 59.9 degrees and there is a light southwest wind.

Where was this photo taken? Somewhere north of Barnegat Inlet

What time of year? June

What is the angler "working" and why? A worm pattern cause he is fishing during the worm hatch.

What can be learned from this image? Be observant and match the hatch

Fish Eye, when are you starting the HERRING cam smile.gif

Mike L,

You didn't waste any time in determining that it was Menemsha Pond on MV. It was a 10 wt G-Loomis and a sparrow sized herring fly. It was the middle of May and we were working in front of the "creek" where the herring run into Squibby. This is private property and it is controlled by the Wompanoag tribe. Captain Buddy Vanderhoop is the manager of the creek and it was Buddy that arranged for the "creek" shoots you see on a couple of my videos.

Ditch Jigger,

You must have been paying close attention to my narration, AND you no doubt have witnessed the effectiveness of yellow on lures and flies for yourself. Early morning light will make these chrome-plated bass candies look more like an Al's Goldfish than a bright slab of platinum. Try yellow early and late in the day...you won't be sorry.

BTW, one morning we fished the creek with Habs yellow poppers and found out that they were actually outfishing live herring! Heaven must be a lot like that morning!

Flukezilla,

The herring cam should be fired up and in the streams by the end of next week...stay tuned.

I hope all you SOL posters and lurkers are enjoying my pictures and find the advise helpful.

I also want to thank everyone who has purchased my videos from SOL and hope that the information gleaned from them will help put more stripers on your line this season. I'll be posting more images that you might want to use as wallpaper...my way of saying thanks, as well as consider investing in one of my tapes.

keepers.gif