UncleJohn

Carp Fishing

85 posts in this topic

first time fishing for carp was very productive.

Rigged 2 rods with size 6 snelled hook with a sliding 1/2 oz. sinker of 10lb braid.

Chummed with corn and baited 3 kernels on the hook.

I realized that carp fishing is a waiting game, and was fully prepared to play!

The first fish ran like a freight train and fought like a striper cow.

Unfortunately I don't have a scale, but the fish was well over 2 feet long and FAT. My guess would be a weight in excess of 20 lbs.

After releasing this fish I re-chummed, re-baited and set my lines again.

The second fish came about a half hour later. It was smaller, at around 10 - 13 lbs.

Not bad for the first time targeting these misunderstood and often rejected game fish!

My theory is that because of the sensitivity of the carp's mouth, they will suck up potential food and spit out anything that doesn't fee right.

That usually means that they feel the baited hooks.

When they attempt to spit out the bait it end up hooking their mouth/lips.

At this point they will take off, due to their skittish nature.

It's just my theory, and it could be completely wrong.

Posted (edited)

This was in the local newspaper a few days ago:

[FB_IMG_1461806348423_zpskksdsl6t.jpg

It was 38" long. 10 yr old kid.

Edited by Redneck Tourist

My theory is that because of the sensitivity of the carp's mouth, they will suck up potential food and spit out anything that doesn't fee right.

Did you use hair rig?

I've been really successful with using mashed bread with skippy peanut butter and a dash of sugar rolled into a bait ball the size of your thumb.  

I used a size 6 bait hook attached to the main line (10lb braid) with a sliding weight. 

Hook is baited with 3 kernels of corn and tossed into the midst of the chum area.

Loosen the drag and wait for the fish to come in to feed.

I'm a carp addict. As far as bait goes sweet corn, chickpeas, cooked field corn, butter beans, dough baits and my favorite boilies all have a time and place. I'm a huge fan of the hair rig. In rivers I usually fish 2-4oz with a longer leader (12-24") depending on current. Or if your fishing light baits like corn you could float fish. Chuming is especially effective, in fact it's an art form. Toss a few baits up current, then cast your float right on top of the spot you chumed. Let the float drift with the current until you get a take. It's as addictive as striper fishing!!

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's as addictive AS striper fishing, but it is addictive.

People spend MUCH MUCH MORE on striper gear than of carp gear. Heck, carp bait is available year round, while striper bait is not.

Anyway, if you try for carp and get one of the real monsters that are around our waterways, you will see why they can be a thrill to catch.

Trust me, I've seen some carp that would push, if not exceed the 30 # mark. I've never really tried for them because you don't hunt for them like you do other species, you chum and wait for them to come to you. I believe the only artificial that could be tried for carp would be a fly, but that's an even bigger challenge.

Real carp, be they river carp or mirror carp, are easily spooked and hard to approach. That's mainly why fishing for them is a game of patience.

Once you draw them into your chum area, and hook one, you are in for a real fight!

Check out some of the European carp sites . They spend lots of money on carp gear . And serious carpers fish 3 set ups at one.

Now imagine three 12 ft century carp rods with 3 Daiwa basais, or three aero techniums. These were both carp reels before they came out with surf models.

I see lots of similarities between carp and striper fisherman. Both can be gear addicts.

Personally I don't see the need for that kind of technology for carp. I fish shimano and small okuma baitrunners on St croix rods. Plenty for carping .

Nope, you are right.