UncleJohn

Carp Fishing

85 posts in this topic

Anybody here fish for Carp.   I caught one in a local lake that was about 26 inches and it fought really hard.  I know that the current State record came from the Delaware River that topped 50 pounds.   Love to get one of those...   I was wondering if anybody can give me any tips for Carp in the rivers.

I like too target the flats at the mouths of feeder creeks. Carp seem to congregate in these flat areas to feed.

As far as rigs go, things can get very technical, but I haven't progressed to the level of hair rigs and such, so I just try to keep things simple with just a split shot and an Aberdeen or treble hook rigged with sweet corn positioned in a likely feeding lane.

I like too target the flats at the mouths of feeder creeks. Carp seem to congregate in these flat areas to feed.

As far as rigs go, things can get very technical, but I haven't progressed to the level of hair rigs and such, so I just try to keep things simple with just a split shot and an Aberdeen or treble hook rigged with sweet corn positioned in a likely feeding lane.

How do you identify a likely feeding lane?   What should I be looking for 

Muskie fishing gear set up and cornmeal mix. Combination is deadly

I caught one with a cornmeal mixture containing blueberry syrup.    I still need to adjust the mix though.    The one I caught was on my 10.5 ft Steelhead noodle rod and mitchell 300.   That was fun!!

I caught one with a cornmeal mixture containing blueberry syrup.    I still need to adjust the mix though.    The one I caught was on my 10.5 ft Steelhead noodle rod and mitchell 300.   That was fun!!

Ah yes the tried and true Mitchell 300 series. Great reels. Just noticed your from the Hillsborough area. Plenty of carp in the Millstone and Raritan River's. 

As far as identifying the area's of feed. Look for small creeks and streams that feed the rivers and the river bottom flat with not to much current. 

A dry sweet mixture seems to work the best. Alot of kneading the dough as I recall. 

Tight lines

Posted (edited)

In Europe carp fishing is HUGE! Hair rigs work great.I chum the area I'm going to fish every other night before I fish.There's a site I think Big Carp Tackle that has all the stuff you need.I really got in to it a few years ago and now I'm hooked!

Edited by sefmonster

Fly fishing for them is pretty cool...there's actually a thread in the fly fishing folder currently going as we speak

post-10496-0-47464500-1460504111_thumb.jpg

just went out worming at lunch for bass in a known carp spot. I saw either the same fish 3 times or 3 real large carp swimming by!

game on  :hooked:

can someone who has caught these tell me about the hook set let run or instant?

I always let them run.  I haven't done it in years but 5 pieces of corn completely covering a small hook, no more than 6, maybe 8lb test.  They would always suck it in, swim away, then I'd set the hook.  They were always lip hooked.  It's a great fighting fish, rolls on the top, digs in the mud, long runs, just a great fish. 

Hair rig consistently gets a perfect hookset, no action required.  I fish them weightless with three pieces of corn, throw a handful of corn out where I see them on the surface and wait.  Line moves out, fish on. 

Hair rig consistently gets a perfect hookset, no action required.  I fish them weightless with three pieces of corn, throw a handful of corn out where I see them on the surface and wait.  Line moves out, fish on. 

Do you usually only sight fish for Carp.   What if you don't see them.     I know some people chum with corn and wait ..

Fly fishing for them is pretty cool...there's actually a thread in the fly fishing folder currently going as we speak

I didn't know that you can catch them on flys....