Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pete28

Will the world record fall in 2005?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

In an article that was in saltwater sportsman many fisherman and experts say that the striped bass world record will fall this year. I would also like to mention that the whole issue is dedicated to striped bass fishing and is very well put together. They beleive the record fish will be caught in the chesapeake bay or a little bit more towards newjersey. I believe they said raritan bay? Anyhow, The reason they feel this is because of the amount of 60+ pound fish and 50+ pound fish that were caught in these areas in 2004.

What do you all think?

[ 03-16-2005, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: TimS ]

Not this year, maybe 2007. There's been a steady increase the past 4 years or so of increasingly larger bass caught during the spring run. 40's have become more common and I think the biggest last year were three 60ish bass caught. Got a ways to go before this class gets to 80 pounds. I agree with RichSmith, this is the beginning of the end frown.gif I wouldn't be surprised to see another moratorium after 2010.

I read in Striped Bass magazine, there are fish in the 50's being caught in Virginia and some big ones down in Georgia. These fish are NOT being kept.

I agree to the aforementioned post that the number of 40's caught/kept last year and the years before have taken out a good chunk of the 'Big-Mo' stock, but we can always hope for the ones that got away.

We need the bunkers to run big again and the herring sluices opened.

what do you all think about a law stating that fish over 50 pounds be released? just something to kick around.

I think the best approach is what some southern states use like Redfish rule. Restrict fish to inches rather than pounds. easier to keep peole honest and CO's won't have to carry a scale vs tape.

But I thought the slot rule: 2 + 1 with trophy tag was sufficient.

I'll take a picture of it and you'll have to trust me about the size biggrin.gif cause I plan on releasing it. after all I want my young son to be able to catch a big one when he gets older.