Uncle Stu

Biggest Surf Perch Ever

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Those jumbo barred surf perch are a real treat.... especially when using light gear.  The best day I can remember was around 35 years ago......... between Palm Beach & the mouth of the Pajarro.   I kept the 10 biggest & the total weight was 27 pounds.  i got them on a 3/8 oz bullet head jig with 3" Mr Twister root beer paddle tail grub..... Still my all time favorite perch lure.   Pics = favorite perch lure,  decent limit of BSP,  gotta love those JUMBO Red Tails,  A mighty fine bonus to perch fishing.. 30" wild steelhead  (photo by the legend himself.... "Moocks")

PC040141.JPG

scan0011.jpg

P2060422.JPG

P2050416.JPG

The infamous Moocks? Do you have any pics of him? hehe

I too caught a wild steelhead one time while fishing for perch-- a big one. But I've never caught a limit of perch that weighed 27 pounds. I wonder if those days will ever return.

Gonna take a wild guess that the steelie wasn't 30 years ago, because you look the same as you did this last July. Or do you never age at all?

If you ain’t never done it, then whether or not those days return or not don’t really matter do they? I figure in fishing a lot of times we’re trying to figure the way forwards, most of the time. One thing to think about is are you unintentionally stacking cards one way or the other. I suspect a lot of times (me included) fishermen are fishing for smaller fish.

27lb sounds doable...a real good day for sure but doable. Had a 15lb 5 fish limit myself a couple years back, and 11-12lb is pretty common. 

On 11/1/2019 at 1:00 PM, Mike Fixter said:

This GORILLA was 17 1/4" taken on a Hopkins Shorty while fishing for stripers in July.

scan0012.jpg

scan0013.jpg

scan0014.jpg

scan0016.jpg

Almost beat you today Mike...  Almost...

Went out for the first perching for this winter and this guy came in at 17".

RedT-17.jpg.2dbe2f79c5a8a39b2577fd4280cd4c8e.jpg

It's rare for me to bring any of them to home but did my best to make sure its sacrifice was not in vein...

RedT-Prep.jpg.116aa038a3718157cf4f01cfb876c592.jpg

The result of my effort, complete with real wasabi and bit of Taco to compliment with.

Other parts will not go to waste, it will make a spicy Korean fish soup dish tomorrow...

RedT-Set.jpg.318662a600e273474cff41b390f29a6e.jpg

Too bad I didn't have any Soju avail. but settling with 200 year anniversary edition Bladnoch, a very decent lowland single malt.... Hope the perch didn't mind. :D

RedT-Dnr.jpg.23340fd052670ca80067af52e82e5efb.jpg

That is a heck of a nice perch.... only problem is I don't remember getting an invitation to lunch...... What did you catch it on?    Garden worms..........................

12 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

That is a heck of a nice perch.... only problem is I don't remember getting an invitation to lunch...... What did you catch it on?    Garden worms..........................

Thank you Mike and you see... I had to go do my weekly grocery shopping after that. Otherwise, I would have come to your place and picked you up for that dinner...

Really... LOL

You know I hate touching baits and all the smelly stuff like fish. :clown:

Grubs like everyone else but used 2 oz egg sinker for casting distance to reach somewhat fishable part of water and hold it in place....

Cheers,

Wash.jpg.2ce0bd2196e27f490b4aa08e35176a20.jpg