Uncle Stu

Biggest Surf Perch Ever

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Lately we've been getting some pretty big barred surf perch in the Morro Bay area, two of them taped at 16," so I looked up the world record, which turns out to be 18" caught in Ventura about 2 years ago:

(from WO News)

Surf angler Bert Uyemura of Torrance had quite a 2014 on the beach, picking up a number of chunky barred surfperch over the 14-inch mark early in the year, including 3 that breached the 17-inch mark. That got the fisherman’s wheels turning.

newworldrecord1.jpg

newworldrecord2.jpg
NEW WORLD RECORD
barred surfperch for Bert Uyemura of Torrance, approved by the IGFA late last year. The slab perch went 18 inches in length and nearly 4½ pounds, and was taken on a Lucky Craft jerkbait near Ventura.

“After my third 17-inch perch, it got me thinking and I went home to do some research on the biggest barred surfperch ever caught,” Uyemura said. “What I found out was surprising to me. The current record was 17 inches and 4-pounds, 2-ounces, recorded by the IGFA in 1975. With what I found out, it got me thinking that I might’ve had a record fish.”

Uyemura kept plying his trade in the breakers and ran into a nice big perch bite one day in mid-March, plucking out 4 BSPs over 14½ inches. As the tide was beginning to peak, he started fan-casting his way back towards the car when his line went tight once again.

“After about a 3-minute fight, all of a sudden it felt like I was snagged on the bottom no more than five feet from the shoreline,” recalled Uyenmura. “My first thought was of my $20 Lucky Craft lure, but my second thought was the hope for another 17 incher.

“With waves crashing the shoreline, I started walking towards my lure. I managed to get within 5 feet of where my lure was when a bigger wave crashed on the beach. As the big wave receded, I thought I felt some strong head shakes. This fish was sitting in a big trench right out in front of me with my lure in its mouth.

“I couldn’t tell how big the fish actually was, but when the next wave came in, I reeled as fast as I could to beach the fish…there she was – my personal best BSP, at 18 inches in length and 4-pounds, 7-ounces.”

Late last year, the IGFA approved Uyemura’s surfperch as the new all-tackle world record for barred surfperch, giving surf fishers up and down the coast a new benchmark to aim for moving forward.

Edited by TimS
added text/removed link

Nice Catch! I have seen some big perch caught that could easily make the mark, but a lot of fisherman just take them home and cook em up, not really thinking that it could land them on the IGFA books. Congrats to Bert! I will be measuring/weighing my big ones, that is for sure. 

For the species it is a large what we referred to as a piling perch. We used to catch silver perch that was close to 6 lbs. and 24" long.

Lately we've been getting some pretty big barred surf perch in the Morro Bay area, two of them taped at 16," so I looked up the world record, which turns out to be 18" caught in Ventura about 2 years ago:

(from WO News)

Very nice...what size Lucky Craft?  I have a few of those plugs, never thought to use them for Perch, was it a very small size?

Just got myself a couple LC 110 jerkbaits, can't wait to try at the beach. Round here we target barred surf perch, but sometimes hook the odd striper or halibut. You can find more photos of Bert and his crew on Instagram, search #surfperch