Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1dozenraw

Squiddah question

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I posted this in the distance casting forum, but figured I'd post here too. Which of the stock spools cast best. I think there are three.... metal, aluminum and finned plastic. What are the different uses of each? Is it worth buying an after market spool for better casts? Thanks.

The old chromed brass "metal" spools were an alternate to the plastic ones back in the day as a stronger choice for when the Squidder was pressed into service for bottom fishing and trolling duties; it's nothing you want to cast with at all. I've never tried Penn's current aluminum spool. My Squidders and Surfmasters all have Newell aluminum spools, changed out ages ago, and in general they seem to me to do a bit better than the plastic spools they were originally set up with.

Ditto on casting the chrome brass spool. The Squidder I use has a Penn aluminum spool. P.M. me and I'll tell you where to buy them online. The aluminum spool, with magnets installed per Grampa Old Spook's instructions, make the Squidder very easy for me to cast. Those with more experience may tell you that the plastic spool with the air fins casts well also. I never tried the plastic spool, so I couldn't comment on that.

I think I read somewhere that a linen or some kind of backing is necessary when using the plastic spools with mono???? True??? and what is the best backing?

Linen, sounds like you were reading the manual from the 1938 Squidder.

Where would you get linen line nowadays anyhoo??

As for the spool, I have both the Newell and the Penn Aluminum and if there is a difference in performance I'm not good enough to see it.

You can't mag plastic so that's out and the chromed steel is way too heavy, backlash city - so that's right out.

Sudsy.... "Linen, sounds like you were reading the manual from the 1938 Squidder.

Where would you get linen line nowadays anyhoo??"

Hey wait a minute. When I was a kid we used Ashaway braided linen on our squidder... 36lb test as I remember. And that wasn't in the 1930s. Of course it wasn't in the 60s or 70s either. Oh well. I actually have some on an old squidder I bought at a yard sale.

Anyway... backing needed on plastic spools and what's best?

1dozenraw,

I have all three spools, but the plastic spools I have do not have fins (air brakes). The plastic spool is slightly easier to control. IMHO, go with the black anodized aluminium spool, it has a nice flange on it and if you want you can mag it, and don't have to think about using backing, or it possibly imploding. If you have only the plastic spool, use it and enjoy it. From a distance performance standpoint, I don't think there is any significant difference to warrant hunting down one or the other. The chromed brass spool is castable with larger payloads and a smooth cast.

Steve smile.gif

Steve

Sudsy.... "Linen, sounds like you were reading the manual from the 1938 Squidder.

Hey wait a minute. When I was a kid we used Ashaway braided linen on our squidder... 36lb test as I remember. And that wasn't in the 1930s. Of course it wasn't in the 60s or 70s either. Oh well. I actually have some on an old squidder I bought at a yard sale.

You sure that's not Ashaway braided nylon squidding line you're thinking of? It was very popular stuff for years. Lord knows where you'd find linen line these days. Penn published that caution right up thru the early seventies at least, and it was all but gone back then. The idea is to create a cushion for what's wound on as the main line and they actually cautioned to use it for "Nylon, monofilament and dacron lines", although you'll still see some people suggesting using dacron for the cushion layer. They only suggest five layers of line to create the cushion and you could just lay on something like cotton kite string for that.

You sure that's not Ashaway braided nylon squidding line you're thinking of? It was very popular stuff for years. Lord knows where you'd find linen line these days. Penn published that caution right up thru the early seventies at least, and it was all but gone back then. The idea is to create a cushion for what's wound on as the main line and they actually cautioned to use it for "Nylon, monofilament and dacron lines", although you'll still see some people suggesting using dacron for the cushion layer. They only suggest five layers of line to create the cushion and you could just lay on something like cotton kite string for that.

Hey look, I'm 61 and I was not good to myself in the 1960s. Yup, Bill, I think you might be right. I live near the Ashaway plant, so I could probably go there and ask.... hahaha... no need. What a great place SOL is for guys like me who took a 45 year break from surfcasting. Thanks to everyone. AndSOL for sure.

You sure that's not Ashaway braided nylon squidding line you're thinking of?

Bill, I've used that 36# braided squidding line for a number of things - makes a fair shooting line for fly fishing - makes small, strong loops for the end of fly lines - even makes a fair, non-spectra "braid" for braid smile.gif

TimS

I fished it on my Squidders for a few years back in the day, and in 18 lb. test it was some really smooth casting line on a smaller plugging reel. I think I still have most of a bulk spool of either 27 or 36 lb. test stashed away somewhere around here smile.gif

If you're using monofilament on ANY of the old Penn plastic spools, you MUST use some sort of backing. Dacron, Braided Nylon, even Braided Spectra. Here's why...

The monofilament has too much stretch for the plastic. When the spool is wound UNDER TENSION as when trolling, or even with a "good" fish and a lot of line out, each wrap puts increasing tension on the spool. Enough pressure and the spool IMPLODES. Once this happens the reel is useless (until you replace the spool).

With 1/4" of backing, there is something that will compress as the monofilament gets tighter, and so the spool doesn't break.

I thought this was an old wives tale, until FINALLY I had a plastic spool "implode". Once is enough, I use aluminum now.

Al stated earlier, the "chrome over brass" is MUCH too heavy to cast.

AMMO

As for the spool, I have both the Newell and the Penn Aluminum and if there is a difference in performance I'm not good enough to see it.

You can't mag plastic so that's out

I gotta dumb question to throw out. I have several squidders, none of them magged. I have been seeing alot about magging reels on this site and would like to know how this is accomplished. Plastic spools can't be magged but aluminum spools can? I always thought aluminum was non-magnetic. So, in other words, what are the magnets affecting that causes the reel to slow down?

You can't mag plastic so that's out

______________________________________________ __________________________________________

I gotta dumb question to throw out. I have several squidders, none of them magged. I have been seeing alot about magging reels on this site and would like to know how this is accomplished. Plastic spools can't be magged but aluminum spools can? I always thought aluminum was non-magnetic. So, in other words, what are the magnets affecting that causes the reel to slow down?

Here's a great bit left to us by Grandpa Old Spook

http://www.100megspop3.com/oldvalkyry/pennmag.html