NJFishermanDanny

Stormr Jacket

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've been debating which stormr jacket to get. I fish a lot and need something thats gonna keep me dry and warm. Should i just bite the bullet and get the stryker or just get the typhoon?

Edited by NJFishermanDanny

Both jackets are a bit different, if your going to stand in the surf the Stryker Jacket has a gasket around your wrists so water doesn't creep down your sleeves, The Typhoon is a bit lighter in weight may have a thinner neoprene I find this jacket to be a bit more comfortable. you want to leave enough room for a thin fleece for cold weather. The Swell is like a neoprene hoodie but has a slick outer shell that lets the water slide off instead of absorbing. 

I've been happy with the Typhoon, warm and durable. Wear it over top of wetsuit when it's real cold and prefer the lack of seals so it drains quickly.

I found a camo one on sale and I'm trying to get it duck hunting so it works well for that too.

When wearing waders and splash / dry top I use sailing or kayaking tops that are well sealed, durable, and a lot cheaper on sale than the Stormr.

Check out Annapolis Performance Sailing? APS, for sales on cheap but quality spray tops.

Also take into consideration are going to be active? I have a Fusion jacket that I wear 3 seasons surf casting. I do a good deal of walking to get to my spots so the Fusion is great for spring, fall and early winter. I don't do "deep wading or swimming" so the jacket works for me. In very cold boat fishing I like the Swell. I had a offshore sea bass trip late December cold, windy and rain the Swell kept me real warm and dry but again I wasn't very active on the boat. But if you do any type of walking you will sweat like a pig. To me the Sweet would also be good if you drive on beach and wade on a sand bar in cold weather.

Strykr is awesome but for winter. Fusion is like a zippered raijacket on steroidsn... gaskets at wrist... underarm zip vents... neoprene for flex at certain locations. More of an all around three season top. As others have said... good for walking and moving around. All neo jackets don't breathe and get hot when you're moving a lot.

If only one jacket................can you layer under a Fusion to wear it during the colder winter months on the beach.............and still have a jacket for the rest of the year.

I have the fusion and the Stryker. The fusion served me well last year spring thru fall. Great splash jacket and did a lot of wading in it. The Stryker is great for when it's real cold and rainy. It gets real hot in warmer weather. But if you had to get only one and aren't wading to deep or wetsuits by the fusion is a great jacket.

I love my Fusion...but I have to say, I think it's important to keep salt thoroughly rinsed off it after every trip so you don't degrade the waterproofing properties.

Obviously that's not an issue with neoprene.

What is the final verdict on the Fusion regarding being water proof......some have commented it gets saturated in heavy rain after some time.......

Fusion and Prime for me. The Fusion is nice for fall and spring temps, but you can obviously layer up. The Prime is my favorite. Flexible, all Neoprene so warm and great over waders etc. I tried the Stryker and liked it, but I loved the Prime.

I stood in Heavy rain recently for about 2 hours with a Fusion and it did keep me dry and all my base layers were dry,but it seemed to get slightly saturated and was heavier upon getting to the truck, I must emphasize heavy rain where we basically seeking shelter and ducking lightning

The problem I had with the Stomr jackets is the neoprene would absorb water when it rains heavy or light rain and the jacket would get very heavy and not breath.  It would make me sweat. If you sweat you will get cold.  When I got home I could ring it out then hang it up to dry and the water would drain to the bottom of the jacket.  I then would wipe off the excess water.  The next day it would still be damp and wet. I had to get away from the neoprene technology and go another route.