CaryGreene

Metal, from Tins to Jigs to Casting Spoons- Everything You Need to Know

Rate this topic

1,447 posts in this topic

22 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

Anyone ever have issues with the tubing material on metals (diamond jigs, kastmasters, etc.) melting?

Unless I’m misunderstanding you…….do you know how hot it would have to be for that surgical tubing they use on those hooks to melt :headscratch:

26 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

Anyone ever have issues with the tubing material on metals (diamond jigs, kastmasters, etc.) melting?

I have had an issue with the tubing my diamond jigs getting all soft and sticky, but I think that is because I had it mixed in with other soft plastics.   

Posted (edited)

11 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

I have had an issue with the tubing my diamond jigs getting all soft and sticky, but I think that is because I had it mixed in with other soft plastics.   

I've had surgical tubing sitting in tackle boxes in non climate controlled rooms in tackle boxes for over 2 decades and when I opened the up the tubing was fine but a good chunk of the soft plastics would have merged with whatever they were in contact with

Things like sluggos & banjo minnows held up pretty well but would occasionally be a bit sticky

But anything made from the type of rubber that is common on jig teaser skirts & spin baits would have melted and attached to anything, somehow descending onto new trays etc & making the whole thing needing to be emptied and individually cleaned while the box itself gets washed

Edited by adam42

@yogiiiboy and @UncleJohn:

Ok, I think it might be a combo of the 2.  They're mixed in with soft plastics and I leave my stuff in the truck for convenience.  And it's been DAMN HOT!  This is just the 1st time I've ever had this happen.

Very often what you're seeing is a chemical reaction between dissimilar plastics.  The tubing used for tails on diamond jigs and the like can be either latex or silicone.  They will both react badly with the wrong materials.  One problem I've had was a reaction between brass swivels, vegetable oil and the tubing.  

1 hour ago, Skunkoff said:

@yogiiiboy and @UncleJohn:

Ok, I think it might be a combo of the 2.  They're mixed in with soft plastics and I leave my stuff in the truck for convenience.  And it's been DAMN HOT!  This is just the 1st time I've ever had this happen.

Oh I see….. yes, if mixed with another soft plastic, you may very well get a reaction.  I was thinking straight up melting from raw heat.  :th:

On 7/31/2022 at 7:13 AM, PSegnatelli said:

@Popasilov I like that.   Looks alot more useful than I thought it would.  One complaint I have with my surfbag that has a spot for tins is my hand doesn't fit.  

Did u have to mod it at all?

For mods I have used very small bubbles containers or the container that one stalk of bamboo comes in. Side that into the webbing and then the tin goes into the plastic. It helps make it easier to get them in and out. I also put a drain hole in the plastic. 

Easter Bubble Tubes, 4-Pack | Big Lots

House Plants #LBS

@yogiiiboyand @Dan Tinman

Thanks for the incite.  I changed the tubes out and put a hair teaser on a 3rd metal.  Will see what happens.  Those metals have been in the same box with plastics for a couple years now.  Must be something that happens over time?  Maybe put them in a ziplock baggie to separate from soft plastics.  Limited on space in those boxes, so they unfortunately will be put back in the same compartment.

3 hours ago, drumfish213 said:

For mods I have used very small bubbles containers or the container that one stalk of bamboo comes in. Side that into the webbing and then the tin goes into the plastic. It helps make it easier to get them in and out. I also put a drain hole in the plastic. 

Easter Bubble Tubes, 4-Pack | Big Lots

House Plants #LBS

Genius!

6 hours ago, drumfish213 said:

For mods I have used very small bubbles containers or the container that one stalk of bamboo comes in.

3 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Genius

You can do the same thing with bucktail loops. I used 25mmx150mm plastic test tubes I purchased from Jeff Bezos in this Flatlander Blitz Bag. Plastic “storage tubes” will work as well…

23BD3990-2C7D-4720-B048-7E6CDA36B124.jpeg

1 hour ago, Inshore said:

You can do the same thing with bucktail loops. I used 25mmx150mm plastic test tubes I purchased from Jeff Bezos in this Flatlander Blitz Bag. Plastic “storage tubes” will work as well…

23BD3990-2C7D-4720-B048-7E6CDA36B124.jpeg

That’s an awesome idea In……. Even some clear plastic sized tubes should do the trick to get the most space out of those bucktail loops. :th:

The surgical tubes on diamond jigs, jig heads, Hopkins, kastmaster, and other are breaking down from age and heat. I have a few new in packaging in a cool and dry place for over 10 years. When I took them out, all of the tubes are dry and hard.

IMG_20220525_143749.jpg

1 hour ago, Bluefishmaster said:

The surgical tubes on diamond jigs, jig heads, Hopkins, kastmaster, and other are breaking down from age and heat. I have a few new in packaging in a cool and dry place for over 10 years. When I took them out, all of the tubes are dry and hard.

IMG_20220525_143749.jpg

I had that happen to surgical tubes on my lures too.

Rubber bands get old and fall apart after a while too. Even bicycle and car tires can get dry rot damage sometimes.

3 hours ago, Bluefishmaster said:

IMG_20220525_143749.jpg

Catch all sells replacement hook & tube with open eye. 

I've tried replacing just the tube and I can never get the cut right to where I'm happy with it.   So I either replace the whole thing or strip off the tube and stick a soft plastic on it. 

I also have some open eye epoxy sandeel teasers that @NJTramcar made.  They look really nice but haven't had much time to try them out.  Just a few casts here and there.  20200602_134522.jpg.08b5653de554760830dfff9ebc7fb4ae.jpg.e48ac9820602b3a2246d3fd91ba02227.jpg

17 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Genius!

My initial thought as well, haha! These ideas are so simple yet extremely useful