CaryGreene

Metal, from Tins to Jigs to Casting Spoons- Everything You Need to Know

Rate this topic

1,341 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Anyone tried a tin like this?

this one is made by Point Jude. 6.5in long and 2.5oz. Little big for me.  But I have a diamond jig mold that has  1/4oz-1oz size. 

Recreate a small version with block tin. 

Yes! I have the Point Jude  and found it quite effective two years ago late in the season when we had all those short Bass off the South Shore sand beaches. Burned it across the bottom and had continual hook ups. I must admit that's the only time I used it.

Marc

point-jude-lures-jointed-tc-sandeel.jpg.1159ecf40161d628bb672bb9c3611b4a.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks guys!

It's a crazy lookin lure for sure, way outta my usual goto. But who knows!  

I'd like a white bucktail trailer on the one I made but don't have one at the moment. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

On 8/2/2020 at 9:11 AM, CaryGreene said:

The Graves Sand Flea is actually a pretty beastly Tin. At 2 1/2 oz it's too much weight to be considered viable for many beaches. Fish are mostly caught in the wash, in cuts, 150 feet & in. The shape of the sand flea is pretty cool but it's just too heavy. A smaller Sand Flea would be cool but we have a flood of other options to cover this base (see below). 

One thing you will notice about Surf Casting is that there is an "IDEAL WEIGHT RANGE" that we would prefer to be in. Charlie Graves certainly understood this. Most of his Pure Tin Tins are 1 1/2 oz to 2 oz which is perfect for Surf Casting. Because of the volume that his Tins have, they are very light & slow sinking. You get the added rod load & enjoy the correlating casting distance while at the same time getting to flutter through different cuts & feeding alleys. You have enough pop to reach over far off Sand bars also. 

Lighter lures won't do this as well with your standard Surf Rods. However & to your points Segs, a specialty rod will send a 1/2 Tin to the moon. I like a slightly longer stick for this purpose so I use the 8 1/2 ft 2-piece Ron Aara Lammy. Centruy makes a nice 8 1/2' 2 piece 1/2 oz to 2.5 oz Slinghot which is an ideal smaller lures rod as well. They are both ++ for this type of application you are talking about. 

As far as finding a Sand Eel  Tin 1/2 to 3/4 oz I think you might want to just use soft plastics with Jig Heads in that range. Small Diamond Jigs with tube tails are another option (no problem finding 1/2 oz & I've even seen 3/8 oz minis around. The old Polish Sand Eel was in the weight range you were looking for. I put it in this thread a while back, it's on page 19, post 272. They don't make it any more though. I have 5 of them to my name at this point. I carry one in my big plug bag. 

In addition to the lures you listed above, here are some other options:

• Iron Candy Bullets - 3/4 oz & 2" long, nice all purpose silhouette, great for Peanut Bunker also. (rapidly becoming a must carry Metal - freaking catches fish)
  • Hogy Heavy Minnows - 1/2 oz & 1 1/2" good for Rain Bait, Silver-Sides & Peanuts (outstandingly effective)
  • Hogy Epoxy Jigs - 3/8 oz & 2 1/2", excellent for Silver-Sides (lethal summertime bait, Silver-Sides are almost always in the wash)
  • Fish Snax Peanut Jigs -  1/2 oz & 2", good for Rain Bait & Silver Sides (great lure, they need to do a 3/8oz 1" though, it would be amazing) That said, terrific Metal
  • Fish Snax Albie Jigs - .53 oz & 2 5/8" good for Silver-Sides (excellent Metal)
  • Cabela's Real Image Jigs - 1/2 oz & 2" good for Rain Bait, Silver-Sides & Peanuts (this lure has a cult like following among fishing department employees at Cabela's by the way - East Hartford, CT store). 
  • Iron Candy Cuta Casting Jigs - 1 oz 2 3/4", best in class casting performance & very good for Silver-Sides. Can be used as a searching pattern to work a beach & windy days have zero effect on this lure. Casts like it should be illegal, you'll feel like you should get a ticket.
  • Shimano Colt Sniper - 3/4 oz & 3 1'2", nice do it all larger profile jig. Ahi Brown is the best color. Absolutely catches fish. 
  • Point Wilson Herring Darts - 1 oz & 2 1/2", good for Silver-Sides & Peanuts. Pearl Bellies & gorgeous flash. Best in class deep jig but also swims really nice. Great balance. Can be cast & retrieved no-problemo. A pretty cool secret weapon jig. Most guys on the East Coast don't even know what they are. (unless they read this thread). Color assortment is really cool. 
  • Deadly Dick Standard Casting Lures - 1/8 oz to 1 oz (tons of sizes), 1 1/2" to 2" Awesome for what you're looking for. Similar to a Kastmaster. Really good for Peanuts.
  • LIttle Cleo Spoons - 8 sizes under 1 oz. Good for Peanuts in shallower water. Spoon really flutters nice & has enough oomph to cast okay too. Lots of uses for saltwater. Hardly anybody uses them.
  • Sweedish Pimples - 7 sizes 1 oz or under - comes in pearl which is a good saltwater color. Highly effective, great for bouncing through a cut or a bit deeper water. 
  • Krocodile Spoon - Lots of sizes under 1 oz & has a super flutter to it. Good for Peanuts. 

Okay, awesome stuff as usual Cary. Read through it a few times and I'm currently ordering the Point Wilson Herring Darts 1oz in Glow Back. I have a few of the others; The CG "Rotation", and the PJ Pojee in chrome and black along with a few other PJs, a Coltsniper jig in yellow/white, mostly regular Hogys in yellow/white and rootbeer from about 2" to 4". I have a couple of Crippled Minnows a 3oz chrome and a 2oz with the green-yellow back. A small Kastmaster and a few assorted DDs and copies. Think I have a Hopkins shorty. Some of these are difficult to source, eg. can't find the small Iron Candy Bullet.

What am I missing and should I be looking to downsize on the Crips and if so, what colors?

As usual we all sit in awe rereading your amazing posts.

35 mins ago, RockRonin said:

Okay, awesome stuff as usual Cary. Read through it a few times and I'm currently ordering the Point Wilson Herring Darts 1oz in Glow Back. I have a few of the others; The CG "Rotation", and the PJ Pojee in chrome and black along with a few other PJs, a Coltsniper jig in yellow/white, mostly regular Hogys in yellow/white and rootbeer from about 2" to 4". I have a couple of Crippled Minnows a 3oz chrome and a 2oz with the green-yellow back. A small Kastmaster and a few assorted DDs and copies. Think I have a Hopkins shorty. Some of these are difficult to source, eg. can't find the small Iron Candy Bullet.

What am I missing and should I be looking to downsize on the Crips and if so, what colors?

As usual we all sit in awe rereading your amazing posts.

Glad to hear the positive vibes Rock. When you get the Point Wilson Darts, the Herring Dart is the only model they make the Glow in - reason being the Herring Dart has "girthier" shoulders than the slimmer Anchovy so it gets down deep quick and that's the advantage of the Glow. It knocks the socks off any other color at 15 to 20 feed down or more. That said, it's equally lethal from shore if you fish out front in surf. At only 1 oz, it gets under the waves and can be seen in rough water. 

On the Crippled Herring, yes, downsize in the fall. For now, roll with 2 oz all summer. 

PM me and I'll send you a link for the Iron Candy Bullets. I think it's taboo to share publicly, for whatever reasons that I'm sure are well thought out by our wonderful dudes like TimS. Probably SOL should remain neutral as far as telling people where to shop and all & that's a good stance really. 

Try the Colt Sniper in Ahi Brown if you can find it. Great lure. 

Cary

Picked up some real tins from Dan Timan.

Will give them an honest  workout first week of August in Dennis/CCB. Will report back.

Bill

1 hour ago, t_man7 said:

Plutonium tins would be something right up Campos alley.  Right next to his Mercury Redfins.

Any angler worth his bunker oil knows that there's only one material worth any effort at all.

On 7/21/2021 at 9:43 PM, CaryGreene said:

Glad to hear the positive vibes Rock. When you get the Point Wilson Darts, the Herring Dart is the only model they make the Glow in - reason being the Herring Dart has "girthier" shoulders than the slimmer Anchovy so it gets down deep quick and that's the advantage of the Glow. It knocks the socks off any other color at 15 to 20 feed down or more. That said, it's equally lethal from shore if you fish out front in surf. At only 1 oz, it gets under the waves and can be seen in rough water. 

On the Crippled Herring, yes, downsize in the fall. For now, roll with 2 oz all summer. 

PM me and I'll send you a link for the Iron Candy Bullets. I think it's taboo to share publicly, for whatever reasons that I'm sure are well thought out by our wonderful dudes like TimS. Probably SOL should remain neutral as far as telling people where to shop and all & that's a good stance really. 

Try the Colt Sniper in Ahi Brown if you can find it. Great lure. 

Well Cary, this thread is valuable. I've been jetty jumping most of my life and pretty much set in my ways but I the pictures of shiny tins and colorful jigs triggered something I bought a bunch and here we are. Used "the rotation" today, walked past half a dozen folks not catching anything and rocked the rotation; J7, J8, D5, M8...Nothing. Peanut, 1W, nothin...no problem switched to jigs; Point Wilson Dart, Shimano Coltsniper...BANG! 1st cast bluefish, two casts later a  bass came up for it 10 feet from the rocks and made the day for me. Final total; 3 hours 1 blue, 2 stripers just shy of slot and no one else on the jetty cracked the code. Here's evidence. That's the chartreuse Coltsniper with a #2 inline buried in the corner of his jaw. Still throwing plugs, after I run the rotation.

20210801_172109.jpg

On 7/23/2021 at 0:28 PM, WorcBoy said:

Cary

Picked up some real tins from Dan Timan.

Will give them an honest  workout first week of August in Dennis/CCB. Will report back.

Bill

Sounds awesome Bill, let us know what you discover okay!

8 hours ago, RockRonin said:

Well Cary, this thread is valuable. I've been jetty jumping most of my life and pretty much set in my ways but I the pictures of shiny tins and colorful jigs triggered something I bought a bunch and here we are. Used "the rotation" today, walked past half a dozen folks not catching anything and rocked the rotation; J7, J8, D5, M8...Nothing. Peanut, 1W, nothin...no problem switched to jigs; Point Wilson Dart, Shimano Coltsniper...BANG! 1st cast bluefish, two casts later a  bass came up for it 10 feet from the rocks and made the day for me. Final total; 3 hours 1 blue, 2 stripers just shy of slot and no one else on the jetty cracked the code. Here's evidence. That's the chartreuse Coltsniper with a #2 inline buried in the corner of his jaw. Still throwing plugs, after I run the rotation.

20210801_172109.jpg

Hooked in exactly the right spot, which makes for a safe release. Did you see any bait around?

You might have had Silversides around? The Colt Sniper gets down really quick. That can be a day saver. It also covers Silver-Sides, Peanut Bunker and even Sand-Eels & should be a go to method for working deeper into the water or in rough surf. 

Test a Fish Snax "Hard Snax" in that situation next time also. I had a similar situation yesterday and I never made it off the J-7 until finally I changed just to test if, around the rocks, if the lighter epoxy bait might hold in the zone so I could slow my retrieve down. 

Yesterday towards sunset I tried couple epoxy minnows on my lighter Albie rod (8 1/2' Ron Arra) as action had tailed off out front. I worked along a jetty and the Fish Snax produced. 

I was sering Silversides all day long, steadily. It's that time of year. 

Earlier I was connecting steadily on the J-7 with a small, unweighted Zoom Super-Fluke as a dropper. I started with a Rascal dropper & they would only take the J-7. Once I swapped the Rascal for the Super-Fluke they immediately turned on. 

When I got out on the rocks I figured the epoxy minnows would be effective imitations and they were. Sometimes you can do less with more. I'll usually change droppers opposed to changing the 4-Tins in the rotation. The only exception would be if I had good water depth, 10 feet or more. 

My dastardly Droppers get rotated a little bit differently. Basically I'll work through the rotation of Tins, move and repeat several times and if I'm still getting skunked then I'll switch the Dropper.

I almost always start off with a Rascal. From there the dropper kind of changes as the season goes along. Super-Flukes are excellent in the summertime. A lot of guys just fish a super fluke with a small football head jig when they have to deal with Silver-Sides. The advantage to using the Tin with the Super-Fluke is that now basically you have three different Silver Sides all swimming together. It's akin to using an umbrella rig. You have the feather tail of the Tin, the Tin itself and then the dropper which is swimming ahead of and off to the side of the Tin.

What happens is that occasionally a Striper will bolt into the cut right behind a wave and if the water is clear it might get right up to the Tin and overshoot it slightly at which point it just picks up the Dropper. 

Keep your Droppers on very short tags, No more than 2" to 4". A lot of guys like to use dropper loops, I use a different method which I can post with an illustration if anybody would like to have a discussion on Droppers.

26 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

Hooked in exactly the right spot, which makes for a safe release. Did you see any bait around?

You might have had Silversides around? The Colt Sniper gets down really quick. That can be a day saver. It also covers Silver-Sides, Peanut Bunker and even Sand-Eels & should be a go to method for working deeper into the water or in rough surf. 

Test a Fish Snax "Hard Snax" in that situation next time also. I had a similar situation yesterday and I never made it off the J-7 until finally I changed just to test if, around the rocks, if the lighter epoxy bait might hold in the zone so I could slow my retrieve down. 

Yesterday towards sunset I tried couple epoxy minnows on my lighter Albie rod (8 1/2' Ron Arra) as action had tailed off out front. I worked along a jetty and the Fish Snax produced. 

I was sering Silversides all day long, steadily. It's that time of year. 

Earlier I was connecting steadily on the J-7 with a small, unweighted Zoom Super-Fluke as a dropper. I started with a Rascal dropper & they would only take the J-7. Once I swapped the Rascal for the Super-Fluke they immediately turned on. 

When I got out on the rocks I figured the epoxy minnows would be effective imitations and they were. Sometimes you can do less with more. I'll usually change droppers opposed to changing the 4-Tins in the rotation. The only exception would be if I had good water depth, 10 feet or more. 

My dastardly Droppers get rotated a little bit differently. Basically I'll work through the rotation of Tins, move and repeat several times and if I'm still getting skunked then I'll switch the Dropper.

I almost always start off with a Rascal. From there the dropper kind of changes as the season goes along. Super-Flukes are excellent in the summertime. A lot of guys just fish a super fluke with a small football head jig when they have to deal with Silver-Sides. The advantage to using the Tin with the Super-Fluke is that now basically you have three different Silver Sides all swimming together. It's akin to using an umbrella rig. You have the feather tail of the Tin, the Tin itself and then the dropper which is swimming ahead of and off to the side of the Tin.

What happens is that occasionally a Striper will bolt into the cut right behind a wave and if the water is clear it might get right up to the Tin and overshoot it slightly at which point it just picks up the Dropper. 

Keep your Droppers on very short tags, No more than 2" to 4". A lot of guys like to use dropper loops, I use a different method which I can post with an illustration if anybody would like to have a discussion on Droppers.

Great info, Cary.  I'd be very curious to see your dropper setup as it's something I haven't played with, but after getting totally embarassed by a fly guy around small bait last week I'm going to dedicate some time to learning them.