CaryGreene

Metal, from Tins to Jigs to Casting Spoons- Everything You Need to Know

Rate this topic

1,399 posts in this topic

51 mins ago, TimeAndTide said:

Thank you for this idea!  I did a quick search and a single order of the Catch-All clips from the manufacture are a bit pricey for just my needs.

Any more commonly available brands you recommend for the same purpose that will not impede the tin's action?  

Fellas? I remember reading back in the thread a bit somebody had discovered a bunch of options.

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

The Tin Peanuts (labeled Bluefish Busters) are under 1oz,above from Dan Tinman, & have a bucktail. I'm plannin on tipping the tail with some squid or a spearing or both and fishing it like a bucktail. 

More shine. More action with less movement from me. Preserving my shoulders for another day!  

I also bought a Do-it jigging spoon mold and made some smaller ones. Around 1/2oz, block tin and trailer hooks from @NJTramcar20210622_174612.jpg.624a1d9be7b35b61177ef4cb4a11b692.jpg

Only made two. Too hot to cast in my basement. Sweat drops make me nervous.  But I've got plenty of stuff to use till winter.  

Beautiful! I cranked out a dozen 3/4 oz pot metal  "Electric Uppermans" last night.

PXL_20210623_193206444.jpg.5d443f3674f8054db20b8b6c9b3c9abf.jpg

Edited by CaryGreene

2 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Thanks!  I just need to find some grommets a little longer.  Gonna try Hobby Lobby

They're awesome!  I've been yanking my hair out trying to find 1/2oz eel jigs from someone that actually ships (long story!) And Dan talked to me about putting a nose ring in his wobble jigs.  

He makes a great product to begin with and these just fit my need to a T!  

Right now I'm using GULP sandeels on the back end but when those are gone I wanna try 6in GULP sandworms & curly tail grubs. 

Thanks!  I hope so.  The tube & hook I put together as well. I think it's 1/8 tubing. It's for archery peep sights or something and found a few long shank SS hooks. So I gave em a bend and a No.5 Spro swivel (strong lil SOBs!) I'm aiming to get another diamond jigmold from Do-it that makes small ones.  I think 1/8-1oz.   

Then just walk the shore with my lightrod and small 3tube bag, pouch of Gulp. Even searobins are fun. 

I'm thinking about loading a small syringe with ProCure and filling the tube. 

This right here^^^^ is what it's all about !!

@PSegnatelliThey're awesome!  I've been yanking my hair out trying to find 1/2oz eel jigs from someone that actually ships (long story!) And Dan talked to me about putting a nose ring in his wobble jigs.  

He makes a great product to begin with and these just fit my need to a T!  

Right now I'm using GULP sandeels on the back end but when those are gone I wanna try 6in GULP sandworms & curly tail grubs.

Segs.......try the 6" Sluggo...........:heart:

1 hour ago, CaryGreene said:

Beautiful! I cranked out a dozen 3/4 oz pot metal  "Electric Uppermans" last night.

PXL_20210623_193206444.jpg.5d443f3674f8054db20b8b6c9b3c9abf.jpg

AHHHHH.......EXACTLY WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR !!!

Where can i get some of these .....:heart: :heart: :heart:

1 hour ago, CaryGreene said:

remember reading back in the thread a bit somebody had discovered a bunch of options.

Thanks to this post, I did some searching and found a thread from 2020 that talked about this.

some excellent comments and recommendations!  

3 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

AHHHHH.......EXACTLY WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR !!!

Where can i get some of these .....:heart: :heart: :heart:

Next time I do some pouring & tying I'll make you a few to test okay Yogi. I made these with some crummy scrap metal I had laying around so we'll try to do yours in Tin. I've got a pile of older refrigerator coils that have slag written all over them!

PXL_20210623_190947333.jpg.9628f54c495ef889ad7f63a321b2a699.jpg

These are not exact replicas of the old Uppermans. They're gently enhanced with a very subtle amount of UV Pearl flash & they have feather tails. 

Other than that they follow the same hair tying principles because they are a surf casting jig, the hair is tied in more like a Deceiver. Often times you'll find these types of jigs tied with drastically flared hair, which is fine if you are Fluke fishing but not so great for surf casting.

I usually do small batches of 3/4 oz, 1 oz, 1 1/2 oz and on a rare occasion 2 oz. 

Edited by CaryGreene

11 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

Next time I do some pouring & tying I'll make you a few to test okay Yogi. I made these with some crummy scrap metal I had laying around so we'll try to do yours in Tin. I've got a pile of older refrigerator coils that have slag written all over them!

PXL_20210623_190947333.jpg.9628f54c495ef889ad7f63a321b2a699.jpg

These are not exact replicas of the old Uppermans. They're gently enhanced with a vert subtle amount of UV Pearl flash & they have feather tails. 

Other than that they follow the same hair tying principles because they are a casting jig, the hair is tied in more like a Deceiver. Often times you'll find these types of jigs tied with drastically flared hair, which is fine if you are Fluke fishing but not so great for surf casting.

I usually do small batches of 3/4 oz, 1 oz, 1 1/2 oz and on a rare occasion 2 oz. 

Yeah ...... I’ve noticed that the smaller thinner Upperman sizes have the best action.  I mean these things are fluke killers in the summer:heart:time 

Youre the best Cary..... gotta buy you a beer or two!!

For Fluke we fish a lot of flared jigs with tie on points a little further back on the head. Here's an uncoated, freshly painted batch.

IMG_20210623_201011.jpg.7b01de7594cd41436347d0c5ec78b12a.jpg

Of course we hit him with an airbrush dress them to match. The idea is the flared skirt is tied in a little shorter than an Upperman style Bucktail because you want the trailer to be able to wiggle and give it a little life. The reason the gulp works so nicely on these is because you get a little scent and a little movement which is good when you're fishing deep. 

IMG_20210623_201035.jpg.72170dd366495745e03170c69c417862.jpg

8 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

The Tin Peanuts (labeled Bluefish Busters) are under 1oz,above from Dan Tinman, & have a bucktail. I'm plannin on tipping the tail with some squid or a spearing or both and fishing it like a bucktail. 

More shine. More action with less movement from me. Preserving my shoulders for another day!  

I also bought a Do-it jigging spoon mold and made some smaller ones. Around 1/2oz, block tin and trailer hooks from @NJTramcar20210622_174612.jpg.624a1d9be7b35b61177ef4cb4a11b692.jpg

Only made two. Too hot to cast in my basement. Sweat drops make me nervous.  But I've got plenty of stuff to use till winter.  

Pete, they look like real winners.  Nice jobs with the tins!!!

8 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Even searobins are fun. 

Not even.

Sea robins are fun. Farting fish as my daughter calls them.

They are fun.

Period.

2 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

For Fluke we fish a lot of flared jigs with tie on points a little further back on the head. Here's an uncoated, freshly painted batch.

IMG_20210623_201011.jpg.7b01de7594cd41436347d0c5ec78b12a.jpg

Of course we hit him with an airbrush dress them to match. The idea is the flared skirt is tied in a little shorter than an Upperman style Bucktail because you want the trailer to be able to wiggle and give it a little life. The reason the gulp works so nicely on these is because you get a little scent and a little movement which is good when you're fishing deep. 

IMG_20210623_201035.jpg.72170dd366495745e03170c69c417862.jpg

Oh yes ..... I have my versions of these bucktails also...... but it seems like the sandy beaches I fish, favor the Upperman bucktail.  I’ve noticed a sizable difference in catch ratio with the Upperman.  Fished slower in between jerks......but, as you know, the unpredictable action of the Upperman is enticing as hell.  Apparently, the fish down here agree :th:

9 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Not even.

Sea robins are fun. Farting fish as my daughter calls them.

They are fun.

Period.

Agree.  I'd rather catch searobins than nothing.  But pretty much any fish makes me smile. 

Like right now, I'm thinking about big silversides. I've caught them on small kastmasters fishing for snapper blues. But! I'm wondering how a sabiki rig would do...

Fishing really is a sickness!

So for anyone looking to find, and purchase, the “real tin” or “pure tin” version of the Charlie Graves tins (not the white/block metal version), you can buy them online from Surfland tackle shop. Surfland has an online store. I just called them and they have a good variety of the correct tins in stock.