CaryGreene

Metal, from Tins to Jigs to Casting Spoons- Everything You Need to Know

Rate this topic

1,331 posts in this topic

9 mins ago, RockRonin said:

Hi Cary, If you're still looking for epoxy that doesn't yellow, I suggest you look into Gudgeon Brothers West System. Their special 207 clear hardener used in conjunction with their 105 resin doesn't yellow or blush and it's specifically UV resistant. I use it for boat stuff and have a couple decades of use with it. I'm pretty sure you'd be buying it a pint at a time for the resin and .6 of a pint for the 207 hardener, so you'd have lots of extra for coating other lures as well. Not sure if the lure builders on this site have any experience with it, but it may be something to consider.

Will have to check it out! I just got some Marine Table Top Epoxy that seems to be working really well but it will probably run out by this fall so I'll mark this down & check it out. Hopefully I can get it shipped to South America. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, bronson said:

I’m really enjoying this thread! And love metal for the joy of casting. My dad schooled me on Hopkins as a kid in the early eighties.  Here’s a pic of a red I scored a week or so ago on a Hopkins tipped w a gulp in the kitty hawk surf.  Super cool is the Hopkins website! You can build the spoon you want and as you pick color , finish, hook. Weigh, dressed tail, tail color etc you can see it coming together on the screen! I just build the one pictured and ordered three. Stoked to get the exact spoon I want! This in 1 oz launches w a bh 8ft Suzuki ul 10  lb power pro and a 2000 conflict. ... the joy of casting spoons! Thx to all who add in this thread esp the op. 

AA619E0F-4367-4D66-9B60-CF9CDA970B3C.jpeg

F130AEEC-2A0E-47AA-BA2A-A6E415FA49FA.jpeg

Nice Red Bronson & btw, we enjoy having you here brother! Thanks for chiming in. You are so right about Hopkins lures also. Totally Iconic & a true Surf Fishing Metal that has been around more than 70 years. The hammered sides to some of their Metals, like my favorite, which is the Shorty 150 (1 1/2 oz) has to be considered as a must have lure by any Surf Fisherman worth his weight in Stainless Steel stock!

By the way, Hopkins uses a pretty cool manufacturing process to create their Metals. The Shorty gives a Surf Fisherman an ability to fish a small profile Metal while at the same time, being able to launch really long casts due to the extra weight she packs. 

The original Hoplins lures were actually made from stainless steel knife handles that were ground down & then pounded with a hammer. Modern manufacturing however impacted this old school lure making method with the introduction of the forging process. Hopkins lures today are forged from solid stainless steel.

To put this in perspective, consider that Lead has a "density" of 11.3 g/cm3. Many metals are plated lead, but not Hopkins. The stainless steel has a density of appx 7.5 to 8 g/cm3 so it's quite a bit lighter and as we've been discussing in this thread, lighter lures of equal profile are often better because they hang in the zone longer when fishing. 

Tin has a density of 7.6 g/cm3 so that makes stainless steel an excellent base metal to make a lure from. Hopkins then takes the stainless steel chasis, which is a relatively soft metal, like Tin & they copper plate them, then nickel plate them, then chrome plate them. This creates an extremely hard, durable finish that holds a really reflective, absurdly long lasting shine. 

Hopkins lures don't chip easily, like other Metal lures that aren't so well thought out. The basic body designs are meant to flutter on the drop and they excel when jigged vertically. They can also be cast & steadily retrieved which makes them probably one of the most versatile of all the Metals. 

When polishing a Hopkins Shorty, you're basically polishing Chrome, for all intensive purposes. Use the Spiral Sewn Wheel with White Dialux on Chrome. Then move to a softer Cushion Sewn or Loose Sewn (Felt Head if using a Dremel) and use Blue Dialux for final polishing. 

The Red Dialux can be used instead of Blue if you're working with a Gold Hopkins lure. 

Edited by CaryGreene

On 6/3/2021 at 3:54 PM, CaryGreene said:

Will have to check it out! I just got some Marine Table Top Epoxy that seems to be working really well but it will probably run out by this fall so I'll mark this down & check it out. Hopefully I can get it shipped to South America. 

Cary, my brother, South America????  :b:

I thought you were closer to us .......residing here in the states??  How big do the Red Bellies get down there in the Amazon River??

Hope all is well !!

The more tins I use the less I use anything else!

My only fish of today (slot striper) came on a 3/4oz Tin eel jig with a GULP sandeel. 

Not this tin but one like it. 

20210312_190248.jpg

Edited by PSegnatelli

Also got to try out a few things I got or made over the winter.  

This is a Tin peanut from Dan Tinman. Weighs 1oz.   I gave the nose a little bend. Looked great in the water and I have confidence in it. 

20210607_121734.jpg.c979c9099faac03837eeaa930e97859a.jpg

These are Tin diamond jigs I poured.  1oz & 1 1/2oz. 

Sink a little slow,  weave up and down and little more. 

I had a nice rip of current in front of me so I got to see these are so much more than a hunk of metal and a hook.  Kinda amazing. If you've ever watched a fish in current you'll know what I mean.  

They stay steady, then will move erratically for a bit.  Then settle down.   

I may get a smaller diamond jig mold.  So simple but effective. 

IMG_20210607_141157.jpg.a073eb8ddf520ccfa5d22bf42e3ef989.jpg

8 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

The more tins I use the less I use anything else!

My only fish of today (slot striper) came on a 3/4oz Tin eel jig with a GULP sandeel. 

Not this tin but one like it. 

20210312_190248.jpg

Very good to hear Segs & you may be in to something! In fact I have to agree.Fishing Tins in the wash is where it's at! 

6 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

Very good to hear Segs & you may be in to something! In fact I have to agree.Fishing Tins in the wash is where it's at! 

For me it came out of necessity. 

I got 2 bad shoulders & stamina/fatigue issues. Lighter tackle and something I can flick out there with momentum on my side, keeps me fishing longer. 

I can't plug for more than a few casts.   Even bucktailing takes it toll. 

But most tins I can just toss em out and crawl em back.    All the action I need is already there. 

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

20210313_190838.jpg

I've got some tin ones coming from Dan. Gonna experiment with a nose grommet. Dan says it works well

I'd love to find a mold. Do it has a smaller one. But just not heavy enough. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

2 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I've got some tin ones coming from Dan. Gonna experiment with a nose grommet. Dan says it works well

I'd love to find a mold. Do it has a smaller one. But just not heavy enough. 

Lay a jig hook in a tablespoon and then pour lead or tin into it..

26 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

That's a great idea!  :howdy:

And to keep the hook perpendicular you can grab the bend of the hook with a pair of Vice Grips and hold the hook inplace from outside of the spoon.. 

On 7/28/2020 at 7:35 PM, CaryGreene said:

Heating epoxy absolutely helps to loosen up the epoxy, that's a great point Heavy Hooksetter. I use a pan of very near boiling water & just place the plastic bottles in it. 

CG, I heat up the plug first and then when I apply I'm sitting in front of my little patton heater so I have a two to three foot bubble of warm air right in front of me as I apply the devcon.

I have not had any problems with yellowing at all.

And looking back at some of my plugs I built 11 years ago they're fine.

HH

Properly warmed epoxy involves gentle heat & in fact the proper temperature probably varies brand to brand & absolutely varies from 5 minute to 20 minute to 30 minute.